Tyre pressures

Guys, according to the on line guides the Tyre  pressures for the 18" wheels are front 29 rear 36.

My Tyre monitors indicate they are currently 34 and 36 and feel fine. Can anyone confirm the 29/36 pressures are indeed correct and how accurate is the car monitoring system? 

• Founder

987, so on the inside of your door is a plate with the tyre pressures on, for 18" wheels (standard tyre sizes) its F30/R37psi

image.jpeg

I really wouldn't rely on the tyre monitoring system, check your tyres pressure before you drive it (cold) and with a decent pressure gauge, it's worth investing a few quid on one IMO. 

Edited by Beanoir

Strange that the tyre pressure recommendations for the 987 and 981 should differ so much - and apparently the 718 is different again.  Suggests perhaps (within limits) there is scope to tweak them  for the best compromise for yourself.

• Like 1

Yeah, it would seem so, I've also checked kwik fits on line pressure check where you type in your reg, just to cloud things further still, that quotes 29/36! 

I've settled for 30/37. 

On the subject... just happened to check mine a week ago and n/s rear down to 1.2 BAR from 2.3 BAR.

Long piece of ali rod was the culprit. £10 to repair.

But... I hadn't noticed, either visually or from driving, that there was a big deflation.

Moral: Check tyres, especially low profile ones (20"), more regularly than you think you should! 

It was the fear of such an incident, wrecking a tyre and possibly a wheel that led me to fit tyre pressure monitors.  Only 70 quid or so on ebay and work very well.  The receiver plugs in the 12v socket in the glove box and beeps with over temp or low pressure.

18 hours ago, bcr5784 said:

It was the fear of such an incident, wrecking a tyre and possibly a wheel that led me to fit tyre pressure monitors.  Only 70 quid or so on ebay and work very well.  The receiver plugs in the 12v socket in the glove box and beeps with over temp or low pressure.

I just missed those being standard, in Sept '14 I think.

Could you put up a link to the ones you bought please?

Anyone tried the little coloured caps, like these?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Tyre-pressure-monitor-gauge-BUY-2-SETS-GET-I-FREE-36-psi-/142015841260?hash=item2110cdc3ec:g:zaoAAOSw9eVXVEuc

Edited by DJMC

I bought these - not the last word in elegance but I was reluctant to spend the money on getting the equivalent ones that fit in the wheel without knowing how well they would work.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SPY-LP506-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-Transmitter-Sensor-Wireless-4-pcs-/161772688202?hash=item25aa67534a:g:gxkAAOSwLVZVsfXM  These work well once set up - which could be easier.  Note if you are fitting external ones you should add a 10gm lead weight on the opposite side of the wheel to maintain wheel balance

Were I doing it again I'd fit these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPY-Wireless-Car-TPMS-Tyre-Pressure-Monitoring-System-With-4-Internal-Sensors-/252238597352?hash=item3aba978ce8:g:6fIAAOSwT~9Wi4if

So I am now getting paranoid, I inflated using my portable plug in device to 37/30, checked the on board monitor today which now reads 34/34 and 29/26! I think it was although must admit, this was whilst driving, I will try and remember to check before I set off in the morning.

Anyway, this got me round to thinking about something I have never, ever owned, a dedicated and accurate Tyre pressure gauge!

Just had a quick look on eBay with prices ranging from a few quid to £20 plus. Anyone got any recommendations or links for a decent one?

As mentioned a few posts up, a decent tyre pressure gauge is a must in any Petrolhead's garage - they don't cost a lot but the gauge built into electric pumps, petrol station pumps and the TPMS shouldn't be trusted fully.  

This is a decent brand and costs £12 it's all you'll need.  

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/sealey-tyre-pressure-gauge-with-clip-on-chuck?gclid=Cj0KEQjwncO7BRC06snzrdSJyKEBEiQAsUaRjO1ecXBR9XYNrDkWpPDtKUTggANt5lZN336vafmV4ukaAh-_8P8HAQ

Thanks for that Phil, looks just the job, I have also been looking at the Michelin digital one which I would assume, given the company who've put there name to it, is half decent. 

As long as the gauge you use is of good quality and can reliably repeat the results then personally I think as long as the pressures for each 'axle' match then it will not matter if you set them a couple or so psi different to the recommended settings. I usually set my tyre pressures with the tyres cold.

Also, I guess that the chart Beanoir showed was for a 2011 Cayman R whereas the plate I showed was for a 2009 Cayman (not an S) although the tyre sizes for 18" rims are the same. It may help if someone with a 2011 Cayman S could show us their plate.

• 9 months later...
On 26/6/2016 at 13:05, twopointnine said:

For comparison here is a photograph of the plate inside the door of my 987.2 Cayman....

IMG_0110.JPG

for whatever it's worth, here are some data for the 718 2017 Cayman

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG