Steering wheel question

Adam.C

Hi guys, I'm new and have a question about changing the steering wheel on my 06 Cayman S  , I find the rim is a little thin and want a chunkier wheel, I like the newer 981 wheel and was wondering if anyone knew if it would fit and be an easy swap? Wires etc 

thanks  Adam 

Welcome along buddy! 

Ive not heard specifically but the layer 987.2 sport wheel is the same as the 981 wheel.  

image.jpeg

So I'd say yes, however if you have the triangular airbag you will also need the round airbag for the new sport wheel - gets a bit expensive!  

The actual swapping them over is easy, couple of hex bolts holding it on.  Airbag can be a bit fiddly, and there is a process to follow with disconnecting battery etc to ensure you don't blow yourself up (or have a light left on) 

Edited by 987Monkey
  • Like 1

Hi Adam, welcome! 

I also would recommend Royal steering wheels, they can also make the rim thicker when they recover for you if you request it as well as add thumb grips etc.  Worth considering as it will be a fraction of the cost.  

I think there is a Gen1 Sport steering wheel which they did with a fatter rim option also?  Still have the airbag issue though, triangle to round...

@Adam.C - which wheel do you have at the moment, triangle or round airbag module?

Edited by DKR_77

Triangle at the moment, but the pic that 987 monkey posted is the type I was looking at, a seller on eBay has afew  but abit Dubois about buying something that could save your life off eBay! He claims there original parts ,  

ps thanks for everyone's help so far, very helpful!   

On 29 June 2016 at 17:14, Adam.C said:

Hi guys, I'm new and have a question about changing the steering wheel on my 06 Cayman S  , I find the rim is a little thin and want a chunkier wheel, I like the newer 981 wheel and was wondering if anyone knew if it would fit and be an easy swap? Wires etc 

thanks  Adam 

Have a look on here  carnewal.com  Ive just driven over to have my exhaust GT upgrade,  While there Gert has a selection of steering wheels and look very nice.   Oh and the car sounds sweet now Gert has done his magic 

• Like 1

• Founder
57 minutes ago, StevieP said:

Oh and the car sounds sweet now Gert has done his magic 

Give it a few hundred more miles and it'll sound even better, mind took about 6-700 miles before it really sounded the nuts :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys , 

well I bought the sports steering wheel, and had it fit, was a straight swap as hoped, the only problem I didn't anticipate was the old horn was pressure activated and the new one is ( been told) an induction ( magnets) activated, so horn is not working,. Does any of you technical minded folk have any clue how to get the horn working?  

image.jpg

eBay  ? 

Bob from RGA Porsche at Vauxhall said it's genuine it's just newer than the triangle ones and needs to figure out how to get the horn to work, 

Edited by Adam.C