Road Trip to Europe 2017

Caymanwhite

Dear All
I am in the early-day process of looking at planning a road trip to Europe (2017)
The intention is to experinece as many decent 'drivers roads' as possible.
However the thrust of the trip is for me and my travel mates to go to those places "we've always wanted to go, but never got around to it"
So we'd like at least to take in:-

The F1 circuit at Spa Francorchamps ( a drive on the cicuit)

Nurburgring (a drive on the cicuit)

Stelvio Pass

The above are the main 3.

To save "reinventing the wheel" can you help please.

For those "that have" been there , done it, got the tee shirt can you feedback please any helpful information, for example.

Best time of year based on weather (if relevant to the locations)

Best time of year based on the venue (if relevant to wrong / right times to go)

Bed & Breakfast stop-overs (We'd rather spend it on fuel and fun than where we sleep!)

Pitfalls, things to watch out for:- Travel, passports, police, local laws etc.

Signpots me to any websites for infromation

While you're there drive to / or experience "such and such"

We are South West (Devon ) based but can travel from any Ferry Port etc.

Much apreciate info from those that have acutually been and done it.

Regards

Caymanwhite

• Founder

Ok, so I've not been to the 'Ring or Spa ( @Red Square Images will be able to help with that) but I spent a week on an organised tour in the alps last summer and would say; 

- Stelvio is good but there are many more mountain passes that are as good or better - Gotthard, Susten, Grimsel, Nufenen, Furka, Grossglockner are all great and include lots of tunnels and gallery tunnels. 

- hotel on top of Stelvio is cool, certainly not flash but very traditional.  It is high altitude though so you may feel a bit light headed up there and wonder why carrying your bag up 2 flights of stairs makes you feel like you are on the verge of a heart attack even though you can do 10k in 40mins on a normal day. 

- you may feel the need to drive enthusiastically.  This is generally ok in most of Italy, generally ok in French Alps but be very very careful in Switzerland.  All countries will fine you if you get caught speeding but for instance France might be 90euros, Switzerland can run into equiv. £1,000's for relatively minor infringements - I've seen it first hand, it's true so be careful.  

- you'll need a Swiss Vignette if driving in Switzerland, costs about CHF40 and sticks to your windscreen.  Can be bought in advance of your trip online and is sent in the post or you can buy them at most Swiss petrol stations.  

- the Alps are generally good weather most of the summer months, so May to September but the odd rainy day is not unheard of.  On good hot days the temprerature difference between the highest mountain pass and the valley is quite drastic though.  

- I have a more comprehensive list of hotels in the Alps I've stayed at which are all reasonable but won't break the bank if you need.  

As Beanoir we've not done Spa/Nurberg, but done all the passes above apart from Stelvio.

Nufenen and Susten are my favourites of those. Watch out for cameras entering Swiss villages, otherwise we've been fine. Recommend a Tag for the French toll roads if you're going to use them, saves a lot of hassle. Also recommend the Julier Pass near St Moritz. In France I'd suggest Petite and Grand St Bernard passes, along with Col de L'iseran.

We like to go early July when all passes should be open and before school hols.

Paul.