My (982) 718 Porsche Cayman S PDK

That does look rather lovely - great choice on the wheels! Intrigued to hear how you get on with it once it's run in!

I'd definitely be in the market for a 718 after my Cayman R if they hadn't taken the hard points for roof bars away!

Lovely looking car Brian, spec'd up a bit I see.

I drove a 782 S fairly recently and the torque is immense. 

However, not a fan of the constant drone from the turbo 4, sorry.

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

I agree the engine does drone a bit. At the moment I am running-in the car and keeping revs below 4000 rpm so I'm getting drone fatigue too on some intercity routes.

However, as a former CR owner I'm a rev happy driver and will be exploring the upper reaches of the rev range in due course. 

Meanwhile I am short-shifting the PDK in manual mode, using Sport setting most of the time, so I'm breaking the drone monotony. Also no Motorways up here and precious few dual carriageways so my roads tend to follow the contours of the land resulting in a constant change of drone pitch albeit at a very brisk pace. 

The instantly accessible power delivery in PDK manual mode with torque dumped by the spadeful, even with my self-imposed 4k rev limit, is in a different league from my CR on cross country routes. This is a fast car.

Further impressions will follow the running-in process. I\ve only done 300 miles so far in the car so early days.

Brian          

Of course I miss my CR. This car is for a different purpose and was specced accordingly. I chose all the keen driver options, apart from the bucket seats.

This new 718 CS PDK with the spec I have chosen, is proving to be a very fast and formidable cross-country machine.

Still running-in.

Brian

CS Lecht 1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the write-up Brian, enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics.  New car is looking good.   Quite a change going from a manual CR 6cyl to a PDK CS turbo 4.  Will be interested to hear the comparison on track.  Cheers.

Thanks guys. So far, my 982 CS PDK is proving to be better than expected. I always considered this move a step backwards from the CR manual in many respects. I'm now getting to quite like it.     

The wonderful empty roads in the Highlands, away from the tourist season that is, makes Porsche driving all the more rewarding. No motorways exist up here, and very few miles of dual carriageways north of Aberdeen. Great for the keen driver, not so good for moving goods and services. The north of Scotland was left out of road infrastructure improvements for decades.

My next door neighbour has a car valeting business and I had the paintwork treated this week with Geyol ceramic hydrocarbon solution. The result is absolutely superb with a silky smooth finish. It also seems to have enhanced the depth of colour and sparkle of the metallic paint. Carpets, Glass, Dash Top, Leather Seats, Wheels and Tyres also treated. I'll report on the durability of the treatment in due course. It's supposed to last up to 2 years. I suspect that is with topping up the treatment periodically. I have no intention of wrapping the paintwork.

More miles to do .........more comments to make.

Brian

• 1 year later...

Following on from the fitting of Michelin PS4S N0 tyres last December, I had my local Michelin retailer tweak the wheel alignment geo settings to my preferences on the Hunter 4 wheel laser rig.

I have gone for an extreme negative camber set up, maximising the front top mount slots, and also the rear camber eccentrics. I cannot get any more negative camber on either axle while retaining the necessary toe adjustment.

From past experience, I think these settings will work very well with the PS4S N0 on my spec 718CS suspension and wheel set up.

The print out of the geo settings is attached for interest.

Brian

718 CS Wheel Alignment 03:2018.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...