Hi from Oxford.. just started looking for a Cayman

Jango-feet

Hi,

I sold my 996 18 months ago with the intention of buying a 997 but could never really commit to spending the money on a more expensive car.. so I bought an old 924 to play with for a while.  I have recently sold this and would like to get another  Porsche.

I had been looking at 986 boxsters but I really loved the look of the Cayman since I sat in one several years ago in a main dealers. I still have the brochure book I picked up at the time on the bookshelf next to my sofa... 

I have a budget of about £16k, I would prefer a lighter coloured car (silver,white, yellow), maybe PASM, Chrono but I'm not sure if it would stop any purchase. A 2.7 might help me sleep better at night,  3.4 would still be fine. I have an old 2000 Audi TT roadster to get rid of so a px at a dealers would be easier.

Having owned a 996 and being paranoid about every little noise the engine made in case the IMS bearing went bang or the engine decided to implode I thought the 2.7 might be a little bit more robust and less likely to suffer from scored bores..

I don't care abour fuel consumption, it's more about smiles per mile...

• Like 1

• Founder
On 14/01/2017 at 13:57, Jango-feet said:

Hi,

I sold my 996 18 months ago with the intention of buying a 997 but could never really commit to spending the money on a more expensive car.. so I bought an old 924 to play with for a while.  I have recently sold this and would like to get another  Porsche.

I had been looking at 986 boxsters but I really loved the look of the Cayman since I sat in one several years ago in a main dealers. I still have the brochure book I picked up at the time on the bookshelf next to my sofa... 

I have a budget of about £16k, I would prefer a lighter coloured car (silver,white, yellow), maybe PASM, Chrono but I'm not sure if it would stop any purchase. A 2.7 might help me sleep better at night,  3.4 would still be fine. I have an old 2000 Audi TT roadster to get rid of so a px at a dealers would be easier.

Have you been to view any yet? 

I looked at two at the weekend. A 2.7 which was in poor cosmetic condition so instantly dismissed and a 3.4 which was so much better, both with 75k ish miles.

The 3.4 had no real options apart from extended leather and 19" wheels. Cosmetically it was in very good condition, clutch, brakes f&r, some suspension stuff had been done. History wasnt perfect from a timing interval point of view but it left a good impression.  I would like to see a couple more, maybe with pasm or chronopack to see if they are worth having before buying.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Jango-feet said:

I looked at two at the weekend. A 2.7 which was in poor cosmetic condition so instantly dismissed and a 3.4 which was so much better, both with 75k ish miles.

The 3.4 had no real options apart from extended leather and 19" wheels. Cosmetically it was in very good condition, clutch, brakes f&r, some suspension stuff had been done. History wasnt perfect from a timing interval point of view but it left a good impression.  I would like to see a couple more, maybe with pasm or chronopack to see if they are worth having before buying.

Did you drive the 3.4?  Some folk say that 19" wheels without PASM can be a bit of a harsh ride.  My old S had 18" wheels without PASM and I found that fine. 

4 minutes ago, Jango-feet said:

Cosmetically it was in very good condition, clutch, brakes f&r, some suspension stuff had been done. History wasnt perfect from a timing interval point of view but it left a good impression.  I would like to see a couple more, maybe with pasm or chronopack to see if they are worth having before buying.

Had the clutch been replaced?  Probably will need to be very soon at that mileage if not already. 

The Clutch had been changed.

I didn't get a chance to drive the car, I was on a shopping expediciton with the wife rather than a proper car hunt. Hopefully I will get to see some more this weekend...

I have seen a very nice looking Cayman S Sport for sale, its a bit out of my current budget.. Are they worth the extra premium? Is the limited edition factor enough to warrant the difference? 

It is up for £26,995, White,  33K miles,  stil has Porsche warranty until march 2018.. The only thing missing for me would be the bucket seats..

Even my wife is pushing me to go and take a look at it (She prefers white ones) But I don't think it would give me any more enjoyment than a 2006/7 car with the same options for 10K less...

Thanks for the feedback about the car. I was hoping to look at it at some point but I've been ill all week and not been able to make the trip, I probably won't bother now.

If you go for the other car, will you bother getting it inspected?

No, given the mileage service history and overall condition I've not had it inspected. My understanding is that Cayman's and Boxter's don't suffer from the IMS/RMS/bore score issues as much as 911's do.

• Founder

They do say the M97 with the most problems is the 3.8 mated to a tip box.  I think for the money it costs for an inspection though, i'd probably have one done if I was buying a gen1 again. 

I can't understand why anybody would pay that kind of money for a Cayman S Sport though its not special enough to warrant the premium at all.  As you've discovered any other Gen1 in as good condition can be bought for around 10k less.  

The sports do command a premium they have decent spec but where did you get your information that they don't have issues like a 996? There's a reason they are 10k cheaper. I'd be keeping the 10k in reserve just in case. Low mileage and history are no guarantee. At a bare minimum I'd want a scope down for the sake of an hours labour you could save yourself a whole world of pain and expense.