Annoying noise

Jo3h

So this is the noise that seems to be plaguing my ownership so far. Tried and failed with many internet remedies but nothing seems to work and it rears its ugly head after a few miles. I love the car but I want to drive it with no radio and just enjoy the noises.

Has anyone come across a similar problem?

• Founder

Mine has started making this noise just recently.  It's either the trim around the boot hatch rattling or it's the boot hatch adjustment I've decided.  

I suspect the former this time. 

The boot out on the Cayman is a pain for noises, so common.  

• Like 1

I understand from reading various international forums that the damper mass weights bolted in the middle of the tailgate are mounted on a rubber bushed bolt and this decays over the years and these weights vibrate. this manifests itself as various strange noises, clanks and rattles that cannot normally be explained.

I believe the "fix" is to remove the  lid trim, ( see my earlier post on how to do this from when I fitted my rear pedestal spoiler), this exposes the two weights just below the upper brake light. using a tube of soft non hardening silastic or silicone sealer, inject between the weights and the mounts then round the edges to create a cushion and damping effect. I'm told that removing these dampers completely causes the lid to 'pant' if driven with the windows open and creates an unbearable drone.

hope this might help

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bushman said:

I understand from reading various international forums that the damper mass weights bolted in the middle of the tailgate are mounted on a rubber bushed bolt and this decays over the years and these weights vibrate. this manifests itself as various strange noises, clanks and rattles that cannot normally be explained.

I believe the "fix" is to remove the  lid trim, ( see my earlier post on how to do this from when I fitted my rear pedestal spoiler), this exposes the two weights just below the upper brake light. using a tube of soft non hardening silastic or silicone sealer, inject between the weights and the mounts then round the edges to create a cushion and damping effect. I'm told that removing these dampers completely causes the lid to 'pant' if driven with the windows open and creates an unbearable drone.

hope this might help

Ah I have look around a few times most blame the B pillar but will look into this, thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not related but I also suffer from a constant drone, this has been found to be transfereable from different marques of cars and seems to manifest itself when the wife is present...

• Like 1