Wheel size

Idlewild

Apologies for the rather boring question, but does wheel size on the Cayman make a huge amount of difference?

I've read some accounts saying that only 17" is comfortable and drives much better, some that state that there is no problem with 19".

Plus the PS4S is only available in 19" sizes, and I personally think that they look better.

Maybe it's only the older gent that needs the comfort of the 17" ones? As a 26 year old I could probably live with the firmer ride of the 19" I expect (especially since I currently have 17" wheels on a Polo and don't suffer).

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

tyres play a big part too, my 19s are currently booted with Bridgestones  that are renowned for having concrete sidewalls. the Sport 4s tyres that I am saving up for should be much more compliant.

• Like 1

• Founder

I don't not believe the theory, I went through the same process with my MX-5s.  I suspect it's even more noticeable on them, but bigger heavier wheels certainly dull the feel and reaction to inputs.  

I've not been minded to change my CR to different wheels to be fair as I don't find the initial experience at all poor, that's not to say though that I don't believe it couldn't be improved.  The aesthetics I'm ashamed to say do come into it, I'd prefer to keep my car looking stock.  

Having said that, moving from the CS on 18s to the CR on 19s (neither with PASM) didn't manifest any discernible difference though, in fact if anything the CR feels more alert than the CS.  But I suspect (without googling stats) the 19" Spyder wheels probably weigh no more or maybe even less than the standard 18s on the CS.  

• Like 1

Many thanks all. I'm convinced that I won't really lose anything by having 19" wheels and they aren't going to break my spine either!