GT3 Smile Front Vent

Rob63

Cheers DJMC, I'd seen the pic at the top of your reply and that's what prompted the post. I was just wondering if anyone on here had done the same...half expecting a torrent of "why would you?", "don't!", "seriously?" etc, etc.

I realise it's purely cosmetic and not at all functional, but personally I like the look. Your opinion?

I do like them, but I'm in a bit on the fence given there is no rad for it to be of any use other than cosmetically on a Cayman....tricky

Edited by PhilCS

I've seen one Cayman in the flesh with this mod and I personally thought it looked great. The car was Cobalt Blue and seemed fairly standard other than the vent, I thought it really lifted the look of the car without being over the top. It's something I'd consider but I imagine that it's not a job for the average DIY'er...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy L said:

I've seen one Cayman in the flesh with this mod and I personally thought it looked great. The car was Cobalt Blue and seemed fairly standard other than the vent, I thought it really lifted the look of the car without being over the top. It's something I'd consider but I imagine that it's not a job for the average DIY'er...

I realise it's a matter of personal taste, and at the risk of repeating myself I also realise that it's non functional and is purely cosmetic, but then most modifications are. I agree with you Andy, without being over the top I think that styling wise it does indeed bring something to the car. However, installation wise it is well within the average DIY'er and would only look naff if poorly fitted. You don't need a lot of talent to drill a couple of holes and then join these up with a jigsaw ;)

I was hoping that with such a large community here someone may have installed one before, whether to a Cayman or otherwise?

16 minutes ago, Rob63 said:

I realise it's a matter of personal taste, and at the risk of repeating myself I also realise that it's non functional and is purely cosmetic, but then most modifications are. I agree with you Andy, without being over the top I think that styling wise it does indeed bring something to the car. However, installation wise it is well within the average DIY'er and would only look naff if poorly fitted. You don't need a lot of talent to drill a couple of holes and then join these up with a jigsaw ;)

I was hoping that with such a large community here someone may have installed one before, whether to a Cayman or otherwise?

I think people over the pond are a bit more adventurous with modding :)

• Like 1

Luke, I agree with you... to a certain extent! I think it's more to do with the make of car and maybe different type of owner :$, as any owner of a 350/370Z will tell you the 'modding scene' in the UK is massive, and even more er...massive over the Pond xD I never stopped putting stuff on the bloody things, whether performance related or cosmetic, and then replacing it, then upgrading, then... But then it's fair to say that there's an awful lot more 'stuff' for them, market demands feed this I guess. 

Definitely, I think people over here are put off modding more expensive cars like Porsches, unless they use them for track work, etc. Probably the pressure from Porsche "Purists" and worries over residual values. That doesn't seem to be as prevalent in the states, they seem to live more in the moment and just enjoy their car however they like :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Definitely, I think people over here are put off modding more expensive cars like Porsches, unless they use them for track work, etc. Probably the pressure from Porsche "Purists" and worries over residual values. That doesn't seem to be as prevalent in the states, they seem to live more in the moment and just enjoy their car however they like :)

Er yeah, that's what I meant to say but you summed it up better than me! :rofl:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob63 said:

Er yeah, that's what I meant to say but you summed it up better than me! :rofl:

"Er yeah" - isn't that how Kermit often starts a sentence? Because of this, I had to read your comment out loud in a Kermit voice!

:$

• Like 1

Just found this video walking you through the process. Looks like Rennline have developed a template that you attach to the front bumper which takes all of the worry out of the cutting part of the job. Design 911 who I've used a few times are selling the grille for £85 which from the look of the product description includes the actual template. 

48 minutes ago, Andy L said:

Just found this video walking you through the process. Looks like Rennline have developed a template that you attach to the front bumper which takes all of the worry out of the cutting part of the job. Design 911 who I've used a few times are selling the grille for £85 which from the look of the product description includes the actual template. 

I believe that the grill, template and mesh are all sold separately. If this had been posted on the 350/370 forum there would have been 20+ names up for a group buy by now xD

56 minutes ago, DJMC said:

"Er yeah" - isn't that how Kermit often starts a sentence? Because of this, I had to read your comment out loud in a Kermit voice!

:$

I'll have to bow to your superior Muppet knowledge on this one, however I YouTubed it and yes it's funny :rofl:...I take it you were alone when you read it out loud!

Not done it yet but it is on the list. Genuine grill from Porsche is around £50 i think when i enquired last year. Can't seem to find a pdf template anywhere and don't fancy spending tons on the one on design911 for one use. 

Going to tie it in with the 3rd rad centre install so it does have 'some' function. :)

I tend to agree with the above comments on modifying a Porsche in the UK, however due to the price of a gen1 Cayman now its opened up the market to a whole new group of buyers who at that price are less concerned with resale prices. 

• Like 1

seen them on fleabay for £49, thought about it myself. should be easy enough to do if there is no structure behind the plastic nose cone but ive never seen one removed.

• 1 year later...

Not to resurrect a thread from the dead but I have just spoken and ordered the smile vent from Porsche and it came to £22.22 plus VAT so a lot cheaper than buying on ebay!

Only issue is it takes longer to come because its ordered through their Motorsport division as its from a GT car.