Bedford Autodrome Trackday 26/6/17

Black Flag

Ive done Bedford. Super safe for idiots like me, very flat though and featureless - not that that is a big issue. Very long, the lack of features makes it difficult to learn quickly, takes a while to remember what shape the next corner is, that may be just me though. I'd be up for it

16 hours ago, Black Flag said:

Have booked my CS onto Bedford Trackday June 26th if anyone fancies joining me.

Its with Javelin Trackdays Open Pit Lane

Jenny

It's with MSV isn't it? http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2017/jun/26-ba.aspx ive used both MSV and Javelin, both good operators. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Masher said:

You've found a ditch at Bedford? You must have been pushing it :8:

I did manage to make an instructor cross. Apart from my braking, racing line, entry speed and vision i was quiet good apparently. 

On a serious point, she made me look well beyond the next apex and braking point. Amazing how much difference it makes, a bit like when you get the knack of skiing at a reasonable speed, you look down the slope at the line. The skis take care of themselves. 

It's great coming home from a track day knowing you've learnt something new - something to add to the 'craft'. Planning any more track days soon? I'm starting to get the itch again (for a track day :o)

3 hours ago, Masher said:

It's great coming home from a track day knowing you've learnt something new - something to add to the 'craft'. Planning any more track days soon? I'm starting to get the itch again (for a track day :o)

Yep, the morning was very wet so i was very cautious and making loads of mistakes. The instructor was all over me! The conditions do show up the (lack of) skill, far less room for erro and i was actually too cautious. The afternoon was better, nice and dry. Had a little understeer moment onto the grass as i jumped OFF the brake too quick into a corner, quiet low speed so no drama. The PSM got me out of trouble a couple of times.

ive got the new PASM controller now so quiet keen to see how the car handles.

Having received advanced driver training over a period of 30 years, I have become too conditioned to the safety side of driving to ever be that quick on the track. Braking too early is my main failing though the driver training has helped my to look ahead and drive relatively smoothly. It's all just a bit of fun though :Banane21:

4 hours ago, Masher said:

Having received advanced driver training over a period of 30 years, I have become too conditioned to the safety side of driving to ever be that quick on the track. Braking too early is my main failing though the driver training has helped my to look ahead and drive relatively smoothly. It's all just a bit of fun though :Banane21:

Exactly, i break too early most of the time. Also learning to trail break - ie easing off the brake as you turn in to keep some weight over the front wheels. Very hard to do instinctively as on the road i only ever break when in a straight line except when I'm going very slow on a wide bend. I drive well within my limits, have to let go of the ego a bit when some experienced driver in a stripped out Clio Cup flys past on three wheels.

2 hours ago, Masher said:

Next track day....? Sounds like we need some practice. Getting a dry track could be tricky for a while though 

There were a couple of chaps there in a red Boxter S, turns out that the driver was a Brazilian guy who flew over especially to get a whole day instruction with his fav instructor from Porsche Silverstone! Different income bracket to me i suspect. The instructor strongly recommended a day or half day at Silverstone, said that they take you on the low grip circuit and take you through the whole heel & toe thing as well as circuit driving without having to worry about other users. Sounds tempting but £400ish for a HALF day? Or £800 for the full day, includes an hour on Silverstone track apparently. Not sure I'm I'm that committed! Oh to have the Brazilian chaps budget.