Fuel gauge not reading full

Hi guys

Recently had cruise fitted by Porsche Cardiff and, ever since, whenever I fill up the car only gets just over the 3/4 mark.  It never hits full.  I've had two fill ups and both were 47 litres on the light; it was definitely brimmed on both occasions. 

The battery was disconnected by them as I lost all of my saved radio channels.  Has the car somehow lost its fuel level calibration?  I've rung them today but nobody has gotten back to me yet.  They've probably had enough of me after they put swirl marks in my paint...

Hello Aaron,

I have exactly the same issue with my Cayman R. It only gets over the 7/8 mark and never hits full. My Porsche dealer already tried to re-calibrate the fuel gauge but it did not work... Sorry I cannot help you but please let me know if you find a solution...

I have yet to receive a call back from the dealer which is disappointing.

I'm going to give the fill up and overnight battery disconnect a try.  That's the plan for Saturday night.

Porsche got back to me today.  You can have a 64 litre or 54 litre tank.  I have the 54 litre but, according to my VIN, I have the 64.  Odd.  I also have the Bose amp but no Bose branding and it's not included in my extras.  Sounds like the car was fumbled with before it was sold.

Anyway, the fuel tank capacity is coded into the instrument cluster.  They have (obviously) programmed the instrument cluster to enable cruise and have selected the larger tank, as per the VIN.  I'm going on holiday this Wednesday but the car is booked in for Thursday next week to have this issue resolved.  I shall report back with how it turns out! 

Out of those here with the issue, does your needle rest just above the mark below 4/4?  If so, I suspect you have the same problem too.

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

Porsche got back to me today.  You can have a 64 litre or 54 litre tank.  I have the 54 litre but, according to my VIN, I have the 64.  Odd.  I also have the Bose amp but no Bose branding and it's not included in my extras.  Sounds like the car was fumbled with before it was sold.

Anyway, the fuel tank capacity is coded into the instrument cluster.  They have (obviously) programmed the instrument cluster to enable cruise and have selected the larger tank, as per the VIN.  I'm going on holiday this Wednesday but the car is booked in for Thursday next week to have this issue resolved.  I shall report back with how it turns out! 

Yeah sorry I said 65 and 50 but I knew there were 2 different sizes

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Out of those here with the issue, does your needle rest just above the mark below 4/4?  If so, I suspect you have the same problem too.

Yes. Exactly the same problem...

Aaron,

If the dealer can resolve your issue, can you please get all the details for me?

I already spent too many money trying to resolve this issue without any sucess... Last suggestion from my dealer was to change the instrument cluster and it is not a joke!

Here are some facts that may help you based on my experience:

- They tried to use Porsche piwis tool to set 54 liter option: The mark goes well to 8/8 when the tank is full but the low fuel reserve warning is triggered when the mark is just below 2/4 instead of 1/4. I strongly suggest to ask your dealer to remove some fuel and make sure you will not have the same issue in order to not having to bring them back again your car.

- Tried to use Porsche piwis to set 54 liter option and did fuel gauge/tank calibration: Same error as described above.

- When they don't select the 54 liter option the gauge behaves as you and I described.

Edited by tomprout

Not yet.  I've had some mishaps with Porsche making payment, my detailer being ill, so I need to rebook the appointment.

I'll update once I've booked it back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Car went into Porsche and I've had it back.  They are blaming the fuel sender and saying that it's faulty.  They don't believe it's related to the cruise control being fitted.

They are confident it's set to 54 litres.

I'm not buying it and they want £400 to swap the sender out.

:huhsign:

If your gauge was working well before they installed the cruise control then they have to fix it! Do not give up!

My dealer wanted to charge me for a new instrument cluster :D

Please keep me posted!