Suede Steering wheel

SarahP

• Founder

I thought suede went out in 1979? ;) 

The material you want to recover your wheel in Sarah is Alcantara, and the recommendation Mark makes above for Royal is the one I'd make also, I've heard their work is very good.  

As for whether it wears out quicker than leather is a good question, I'm not sure on that point...  

• Like 1

i have had a previous bmw and my current cayman wheel trimmed by jack at royal but with leather. Top work and he is doubly cheap. He offers an exchange service where he sends you a wheel to fit already done and you sends your old wheel back once fitted. Alcantara definitely wears faster than leather and can look a bit grubby if you aren't meticulous in looking after it. The thing that put me off alcantara was first it doesn't suit all steering wheel shapes and can look a bit out of place if thats the only alcantara you have in the interior. Unless of course you want an excuse to start doing other stuff!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SarahP said:

My friend has a suede steering wheel in his BMW and I was wondering about getting mine done the same, but does it wear out quicker? 

Bit like shoes Sarah, 'suede' ones wear out quicker ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DKR_77 said:

Nice analaogy! 

Royal Steering Wheels are the place I would go, apparently lemon juice to clean Alcantara 

I think I am going to get my Cayman wheel/hand brake/gear gaiter done by Royal steering wheels. Found this picture on rennlist of one he did.  I love the fact he's made it thicker and built up the thumb pads. Not sure on

the red centre bit. What's people's opinions on it. 

image.jpeg

More pictures of his work. What's even better is the wife has agreed to pay for it as an Xmas present. 

Arent I a lucky man to have a wife who is more into modding cars than me. 

Oh and some pictures of her modded 370z roadster in white. One of only 5 in the country we believe. It's an ex demo so has every little toy on it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by markbarry1977
Remove no plate details

3 minutes ago, DJMC said:

I think the red stripe is to tell you where straight ahead is, in case you have the wheel turned 360 degrees?

O.o

LOL

I realise it's use is to tell you where the steering wheel is pointed lol, I'm just not sure on if I should have something similar or not. Can't make up my mind if it looks a bit tacky. Depends on if I intend to colour code the interior a little bit as well. I was intending on doing black mesh bumper and intake grills from zunsport, have the spoiler and wing mirrors either carbon dipped/wrapped or painted black to go with the grill and intake mesh. Then maybe accentuate the interior with a few choice bits. Maybe red like in the steering wheel, red stiching on the gaiter, handbrake and wheel. Or maybe White stiching as I have white dials.....I can hear the money going out the bank account already. 

Thanks guys, might look into that.  

The photo of the one with the red bit is like I'm imagining Mark

On 22 December 2015 at 08:39, DKR_77 said:

Cheeky sod!! ;)

1 hour ago, PR36 said:

I personally would avoid the thicker wheel option as you are introducing sqidge (to use the technical term) which will lessen feel. 

I had not thought of that. It's strange because the steering wheel on my 123d was quite thick and I liked it. I find the Cayman steering wheel a little to small in my hand. 

I font track rack my car and don't intend too. I wonder how much feeling would be lost and how relevant that slight reduction in feel might be considering it's only for road use. 

Dont suppose anybody on here with this mod is going to the January meet up so I can have a feel (owwww cheeky). 

• Founder
1 hour ago, markbarry1977 said:

I had not thought of that. It's strange because the steering wheel on my 123d was quite thick and I liked it. I find the Cayman steering wheel a little to small in my hand. 

I font track rack my car and don't intend too. I wonder how much feeling would be lost and how relevant that slight reduction in feel might be considering it's only for road use. 

Dont suppose anybody on here with this mod is going to the January meet up so I can have a feel (owwww cheeky). 

Mine is standard size I'm afraid! 

The Boxster has a larger diameter wheel, but no thicker and I must admit I don't like it as much.  Prefer the Sports steering wheel in my CR, an thicker and it would feel too chunky IMO 

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Alcantara wheel in my car. I also work in motorsport and see many of these in their proper place of work - Race cars.

They wear very very quickly. So much so that I wear gloves when driving as its oils, moisture and perspiration that

ruins them. 

You can buy a Porsche replacement wheel for about £635 

RED40347.jpg

• Like 1