BILSTEIN shocks B4 / B6

Windymiller

Hi all,

i think I have a rear RHS shock on its way out, the wheel arch gap is 5-10mm less than on the LHS, so I’m assuming the shock is ‘deflating’, perhaps weeping out oil?

If that’s the case and I’m looking to replace a pair of rear shocks just wondering if I should stick with the OEM option (which i understand is actually BILSTEIN B4s), or ‘upgrade’ to the B6 ‘sports’ (if I can accept their bright canary yellowness)?

Would I need to change the springs too?

I don’t want to change the fronts as well, until they actually need doing (I’m assumig sometime in the next year if the rears are on their way out now) - but would mixing OEM B4s front with B6s rear create handling issues?

And no, a £2k+ total suspension upgrade is not an option....

I have non-PASM on a 987S with 19” rims and find it a good blend of reasonable ride comfort on pot-holed poor-surfaced Bucks roads, very comfy on smooth motorways/major A roads, but also perfectly good handling on twisty Bs. 

I suspect next March’s Oulton Park Trackday will highlight the limitations of (me! ??) and the standard suspension, but the car is a (short trip) daily driver more than a weekend track toy (currently at least). 

Perhaps I should stick with B4s for now and then upgrade the lot as/when the CS becomes a summer wknd toy only...?

Think I’ve answered my own question there, but thanks all for ‘listening’ - it’s like therapy, only cheaper.... ????

Edited by Windymiller
Typos

• Founder

Personally if you’re changing the shocks whether it’s for new replacement units or upgraded versions (B6) then I’d consider doing the whole car rather than just the rear.  

Are you sure you’re not tempted by the new Ohlins....  ?

On 06/12/2017 at 18:32, banjo said:

shocks have no bearing on the ride height of the car....sounds like you have a broken spring

That’s interesting, I need to see if springs are included in the warranty and get it checked ASAP then (won’t be this side of Xmas though, simply don’t have time...

and I presume a pair of springs would be far cheaper to replace than shocks. 

Would it be these:

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-2-mechanical-parts-2009-to-2012/porsche-cayman-gen-2-suspension-2009-to-2012/rear-spring-set-manual-cars-with-standard-suspension-2005-2012-pair.html

or mild ‘upgrade time’.... ?

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-2-mechanical-parts-2009-to-2012/porsche-cayman-gen-2-suspension-2009-to-2012/h-r-m030-performance-lowering-spring-kit-10mm-all-2005-2012.html

Edited by Windymiller

20 hours ago, Windymiller said:

That’s interesting, I need to see if springs are included in the warranty and get it checked ASAP then (won’t be this side of Xmas though, simply don’t have time...

and I presume a pair of springs would be far cheaper to replace than shocks. 

Would it be these:

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-2-mechanical-parts-2009-to-2012/porsche-cayman-gen-2-suspension-2009-to-2012/rear-spring-set-manual-cars-with-standard-suspension-2005-2012-pair.html

or mild ‘upgrade time’.... ?

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-mechanical-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-2-mechanical-parts-2009-to-2012/porsche-cayman-gen-2-suspension-2009-to-2012/h-r-m030-performance-lowering-spring-kit-10mm-all-2005-2012.html

i have a full set of cayman s springs for sale if it helps.

Edited by banjo

24 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

987 gen2?

Used? what age/mileage/condition?

cheers

987.1   but sure they fit gen 2

they were fitted by porsche in 2013 as new springs(£1300 fitted)done approx 20k miles,v.good condition