Hello there!

StevenG

Good evening everyone... I've just signed up after seeing the RPM Technik event.

I've had my 981 Cayman S for about 18 months, and am now looking to upgrade to a GTS, although finding one with the exact set of options I want is quite hard!

:welcome:

When you say GTS, do you mean 981 or 718?

If your current S has all the options you're looking for in a 981 GTS, would you really gain very much in upgrading?

20 minutes ago, DJMC said:

If your current S has all the options you're looking for in a 981 GTS, would you really gain very much in upgrading?

Agreed ... I tried a GTS prior to purchasing my CS, saved a packet :)

I tried an S prior to purchasing my 2.7. 

Saved a packet and a ticket or two too (speeding).

Actually, the S was cheaper than the 2.7 and had just about every option (2013 ex GB launch car). 

Base model needs working more and who doesn't love to hear that engine work! 

Still, if you like alcantara... :S

Yeah I meant the 981. I'm drawn in by everything being a little bit improved. I love the revised front bumper, better headlights, shouty exhaust, carbon fibre trim, etc... Lots of small bits that are all a bit nicer or better. I'm being quite picky on options though, so only want to throw in the extra cash if I find one that I think is definitely worth it.

(Don't worry, I'm under no illusion that I'll notice the extra 15bhp!)

Having said that though, I am of course very happy with my S. It's an amazing thing to have to drive in the mean time! :Banane21:

Looked at the GTS and I couldn't justify the extra money compared to my CS.  For an extra £15k, I would want a 911 and even that isn't any better.

There is a real sweet spot in Cayman pricing and I think the S is about it.  Although I would say that to justify what I just bought in August....lol..!!

2 hours ago, Havard said:

Looked at the GTS and I couldn't justify the extra money compared to my CS.  For an extra £15k, I would want a 911 and even that isn't any better.

Why would you want one if it’s no better..??

47 minutes ago, Grant78 said:

Why would you want one if it’s no better..??

I suppose it is "perceived" as the best.  The "Daddy" if you will.  I always wanted a 991 C2S manual and saw my Cayman during the search.  Saved myself £20K, was told by the Porsche salesman that the 911 would give up grip earlier than the Cayman but I have never driven one so I must try one just to see if he is right.

I just had a look at the Cayman GTS on AT.  It would be £19K more for me to "upgrade" to a GTS.  That would have to be one hell of a car, you may as well go GT4 if you are going to spend silly money.  Maybe one day I will be able to afford it.

H.

Umm...911 won’t lose grip earlier, weight is over the driven wheels more so than a Cayman.  Will only lose grip if you approach a corner in the wrong manner, and have more traction out of a corner earlier than a Cayman. 

Simple to remember...

V - 911

U - Cayman

7 hours ago, DKR_77 said:

Umm...911 won’t lose grip earlier, weight is over the driven wheels more so than a Cayman.  Will only lose grip if you approach a corner in the wrong manner, and have more traction out of a corner earlier than a Cayman. 

Simple to remember...

V - 911

U - Cayman

Go on, educate me.  What are the V & U references?

I am only going off what the salesman told me.  I was in the market for either but in his experience, he felt that mid engined Cayman was capable of higher cornering speeds than the 911.  I love both cars so I couldn't really give a monkeys.  I would never track either so as a road car, it really doesn't matter.  I still perceive the 911 as the car to have, especially from a perception point of view.

H

Excellent.  Thanks for the info.

There are a few articles I have been reading in Evo and on Pistonheads. Opinions on these two cars, seem quite varied.  I will know for myself when I get a 991, maybe some time off yet as I love the CS.

H.