Gear selector

SimonP

First day with my 2012 manual Cayman 987 and just near home the gear selector no longer functions and I think we are stuck in 3rd gear. I understand this is a known problem when a plastic part breaks. Hope it can be repaired easily with an upgrade so it doesn't happen again. Apart from that, the car is a dream as you all know!!

Needing lots of sympathy right now!

SimonP

Birmingham UK

Hi Simon, 

Sorry to hear that on your 1st day with the car ! I've heard about this several times but so far have been lucky with mine.

I think there are a few upgrades available incl. Numeric cables and Functionfirst also have an upgrade to the shifter ends which should stop this from happening.

I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing to how you resolve it. 

Thanks Steve. Looks like a pretty easy fix. Will hopefully get the local Porsche guys to take a look soon. Want to be out again with my ride ASAP.

Simon

• Like 1

I had a shifter failure, wasnt the cables it was the mechanism itself. Pain in the proverbial, £216 plus vat to replace from Ninexcellence, i think. Could have upgraded to a short shifter but didn’t.

• Like 1

Cayman taken into local Porsche garage this morning. They tell that they have replaced two gearshift mechanisms in the last 18 months so maybe just bad luck on my part with a car that has only done 30,000 miles on my first day of usage! Will report back on outcome.

I checked for design faults on this model before I bought it and this did not come up on the radar!

SimonP

• Like 1

worn or collapsed pivot bushes at each end of the gear lever pivot will allow the lever to move but not move the cable. they are plastic and go brittle. you have to chisel the locking tabs off to remove them. all the quick shifters seem to come with proper bushes in metal housings that are retained with circlips. 

did the car come with any warranty cos I would hate think how much an official dealership is going to charge for this fairly simple mechanical repair. looking at some of the muppets doing this on you tube, and they manage to do it ok, suggests to me that most guys that know how to use he contents of a tool chest will find this fairly easy to do in a couple of hours. NOTE; as with any trim removal tasks, in this case the centre console, get the interior really warmed up first to avoid the trims cracking a you pop them off. you will need one of those all plastic trim remover kits that come in a tool roll. like mini crowbars. 

let us all know how you get on Simon.

Whilst I am not an engineer, I do like to know what causes problems and ideally arrange to reengineer so it doesnt happen again. Garage hasnt offered any kind of upgrade so will use standard Porsche parts. I will ask to look at the broken bits and learn whatever.

SimonP

if you get to find broken parts Simon, could you take photos and post them please, so that others may benefit and see what issues to look out hopefully before they become problems. thanks.Steve.

Just checked, it was £260 plus vat supply and fit standard shifter. A Porsche short shifter would have been £360. Seems like an odd thing to build cheap on a premium motor. Mine is on 53k miles. 

• 3 weeks later...

Coincidentally, mine has just gotten this problem this morning. Car now left at the gym, stuck in first gear. Hopefully it's just a cable that needs replacing rather than the whole linkage. But if it is, a short shift kit would be tempting...

• Like 1

Hi That's annoying. In my case it was a broken cable and cost about £450 to fix. The new pair of cables were over half of that. I am now extremely careful and working on perfecting the perfect gearchange!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Simon

Sadly I never got to see. I did ask them to keep the broken parts but when I went to collect the car they had already been binned them and they couldn't find them. I believe the cable broke rather than the plastic collar. If it happens again I will fit a short shifter or stronger mechanism. You can find details on the internet but I guess the Porsche dealers will not be keen to fit these.

SimonP

Edited by SimonP

22 hours ago, SimonP said:

Hi That's annoying. In my case it was a broken cable and cost about £450 to fix. The new pair of cables were over half of that. I am now extremely careful and working on perfecting the perfect gearchange!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Simon

I think it's a combination of: substandard Porsche part (that they have since upgraded for repairs), the cold weather making things brittle, and the age of the car (09 plate). I'd like to think that I am capable of making fine gear changes; I am an advanced driver after all.

Tempting to get some upgraded cables if that turns out to be the problem, but there are comments that cables with metal ends introduce transmission whine into the cabin.

To be honest I am not sure what cables they fitted to my 2012 987. Current stock I guess but I haven't noticed any noise and the gearchange is pretty good. Had a great day at the Bicester Scramble yesterday - must have been about 1000 Porsche there and a good opportunity to see others with different specs and colours.

SimonP