Ordering a new Cayman...suggestions and advice needed...

I'm interested in ordering a new Cayman, and would welcome any advice or suggestions on doing so, especially regarding options, accessories, etc.  Anything in particular I should definitely order, or stay away from?

I also want to know what experiences the folks here have had with dealers in northeastern Maryland and nearby points, including Porsche of Delaware in Newark.

Thanks! :-)

Hi, Tom...

By way of explanation, I'm looking for a summertime toy. I am not yet at the point where I've committed to buying any particular car, and I am also considering a BMW M2, a pre-owned M-3, or a restored British sports car (a long shot choice).

My 2013 Golf R is, and will continue to be, my daily driver. A reasonably optioned Cayman, with an MSRP of about 67K, is at the upper limit of what I want to spend; the Cayman S, priced 12K higher, is not only out of reach, but from everything I've read, is less suited to my intended purpose than the base model.

No, I have not driven a Cayman yet, though I suspect the test drive, when it happens, will simply be a moot point. :-)

Test drive is worth doing because they will explain all the options to you, they do tend to be a preference for each person.  I’d always spec heated seats for instance, but some don’t bother.  PDK or manual is another choice to make, how much leather interior you want, or Alcantara...coloured stitching and sealt belts. 

IMO - the sports exhaust (PSE) on the 718 sounds rubbish, but you might want to listen for yourself.  Wouldn’t bother with Bose but would spec PCM and iPhone connectivity and Bluetooth hands free calling.  

The more tecnical stuff, dynamic engine mounts are good IMO, and sports Chrono also.  

Another little feature I like is the LED ambient lighting option

If you're considering a pre-owned M3 why not try a pre-owned 981 Cayman too alongside the newer 718?

Many prefer the 981 as it has the last of the naturally aspirated flat 6 engines rather than the new turbo 4 cylinder of the 718.

Of course you'll have no choice of options buying used, but you'll save a bundle of cash and possibly end up with the more "classic" car?

19 hours ago, DKR_77 said:

Test drive is worth doing because they will explain all the options to you, they do tend to be a preference for each person.  I’d always spec heated seats for instance, but some don’t bother.  PDK or manual is another choice to make, how much leather interior you want, or Alcantara...coloured stitching and sealt belts. 

IMO - the sports exhaust (PSE) on the 718 sounds rubbish, but you might want to listen for yourself.  Wouldn’t bother with Bose but would spec PCM and iPhone connectivity and Bluetooth hands free calling.  

The more tecnical stuff, dynamic engine mounts are good IMO, and sports Chrono also.  

Another little feature I like is the LED ambient lighting option

Thanks for those suggestions. In this area -- the mid-Atlantic states of the USA -- heated seats are considered essential these days, so I would definitely get those.  I've "built" several Caymans online, and I think the basic interior is going to be just fine...coloured stitching, seat belts, etc. are just gingerbread that I won't need.

Regardless of how the sport exhaust sounds, it's priced at about $3000...ridiculous! I love Bose audio --- all of my home and computer audio is Bose -- and was planning to order that sound system, but I will check out the standard stereo before I make a final decision...thanks for that suggestion.

I have never owned an automatic transmission, so the PDK is not an option for me. I enjoy old-fashioned heel-and-toeing, and shifting...

There are several options packages I like, one of which includes that LED ambient lighting.  Is Bluetooth an option? I thought that was standard on the Cayman...I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again! :-)

2 hours ago, DJMC said:

If you're considering a pre-owned M3 why not try a pre-owned 981 Cayman too alongside the newer 718?

Many prefer the 981 as it has the last of the naturally aspirated flat 6 engines rather than the new turbo 4 cylinder of the 718.

Of course you'll have no choice of options buying used, but you'll save a bundle of cash and possibly end up with the more "classic" car?

Thanks for your suggestions. I've actually looked at a used Cayman, and there are indeed some nice ones out there.

The budget I am working with allows for a reasonably-optioned new Cayman, a new M2, or a used M3 (but definitely not a new M4). The previous-generation Cayman is something I've considered, but I actually like the styling and features of the 718 better.  Additionally, I really like the idea of buying a brand-new car, built to my exact specs, and then breaking it in myself, etc., which is why I am leaning toward a new Cayman over a used anything.

I like BMWs (my motorcycle is a BMW R1200R)  but in my area, dealers are adding additional markup to the listed price of the M2, with the result being that the Cayman and M2 are priced about the same. Now, the M2 is very nice, but I see the Cayman as a true sports car...if both are priced the same, the advantage goes to the Cayman.

My 2013 VW Golf R has a two-liter turbo-charged four-cylinder, and I love driving it, so I suspect the drivetrain in the 718 Cayman will suit me just fine.

• Founder

There is no way I’d pay a premium for an M2 that’s for certain, they’re good but they’re not special! 

If you’re going to be spending quite a bit of time in the car, used daily or for long holiday trips then I’d definitely recommend PCM (Nav) and phone connectivity too.  If it’s more of a weekend car then probably not so important.  

Do the LED headlights come standard on the 718 yet? If not, worth considering.  

20 hours ago, Giff Nickol said:

My 2013 VW Golf R has a two-liter turbo-charged four-cylinder, and I love driving it, so I suspect the drivetrain in the 718 Cayman will suit me just fine.

Horses for courses. Prior to my 981 I had a 2 litre turbo 4 cyl Audi TTS. Coming from N/A 3.0 litre S6 in my 330ci the Audi was a revelation...

...turbo lag, turbo over-run, getting left behind at the lights... The 4WD was horrible too - always trying to decide which axle to drive. 

But some folks like the uncertainty of turbo power. The "shove in the back" when power finally arrives. Not for me. I prefer my right foot to be connected to the engine.

The 718 is perhaps the best of the turbo sports cars. If you love turbo, you'll no doubt enjoy it.

Me? Well, I got back into my 2.7 981 after an extended 718S test drive and sighed with relief as I drove off in a proper Porsche. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DJMC said:

This is the route I went, once the 718 was launched.  I wanted a 991 ideally but the thought of the last NA Cayman and £20K less than the 991 was too much or a draw for me.

H.

7 hours ago, Beanoir said:

There is no way I’d pay a premium for an M2 that’s for certain, they’re good but they’re not special! 

If you’re going to be spending quite a bit of time in the car, used daily or for long holiday trips then I’d definitely recommend PCM (Nav) and phone connectivity too.  If it’s more of a weekend car then probably not so important.  

Do the LED headlights come standard on the 718 yet? If not, worth considering.  

A local BMW dealer told me some months ago, when I first started this little odyssey, that they were charging $20,000 over the MSRP for the M2. Now, I'm an ardent capitalist, and I support that dealer's right to charge what the market will bear, but an M2 with Metallic Paint, Executive Package and Moonroof lists at $57,645...there is no way that car is worth $77K to me!  If a dealer is "only" pricing the M2 at the full MSRP, it becomes a much better buy, but I think of the Cayman as more of a pure sports car, and more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Whatever I buy, my new toy will be a warm weather car, garaged during the winter.  I will probably alternate between it and my motorcycle for summertime commuting, and I am really looking forward to driving in the Shenandoah and Appalachian mountains on weekends. Driving pleasure, not practicality, will be my first consideration, in other words...

The PCM and related packages are very expensive, and don't seem too relevant to my intended use for this car.  I have a perfectly suitable Garmin GPS that I can use if necessary.  (No, it won't look sexy perched on top of the dash, but it will work just fine.)

LED headlights are not standard on the 718 Cayman, and that's fine with me...I don't really care for LEDs...(that's a generational thing; my sons love them).

4 hours ago, DJMC said:

Horses for courses. Prior to my 981 I had a 2 litre turbo 4 cyl Audi TTS. Coming from N/A 3.0 litre S6 in my 330ci the Audi was a revelation...

...turbo lag, turbo over-run, getting left behind at the lights... The 4WD was horrible too - always trying to decide which axle to drive. 

But some folks like the uncertainty of turbo power. The "shove in the back" when power finally arrives. Not for me. I prefer my right foot to be connected to the engine.

The 718 is perhaps the best of the turbo sports cars. If you love turbo, you'll no doubt enjoy it.

Me? Well, I got back into my 2.7 981 after an extended 718S test drive and sighed with relief as I drove off in a proper Porsche. 

While I admit to not yet having driven a 718 Cayman, the power and torque graphs that Porsche publishes for that car don't seem to indicate that there is any turbo lag.  I've owned my Golf R for five years, and I have no complaints about the drivetrain. I suppose it depends upon how one drives, but in my normal use, the Golf R's turbocharger is invisible; I know the boost comes on at some point, but I can't detect it.

I've had naturally aspirated cars and motorcycles (notably my 1980 Honda CB-750F and my current BMW R1200R) with peaky power curves. My last car before my Golf R was a 2009 Honda Civic Si...now THERE was a rush of acceleration, at 6500 RPM, when the V-TEC system engaged. While stirring the gearbox to keep revs up was certainly entertaining (heavy sarcasm here), I was thrilled to experience the flat torque curve of my Golf R when I bought it.  So...with all due respect to your opinion, I think it's the basic design of the engine, rather than the presence or absence of a turbocharger, that determines power production.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't think of the 917 or 930 as "proper" Porsches...

1 hour ago, Giff Nickol said:

While I admit to not yet having driven a 718 Cayman, the power and torque graphs that Porsche publishes for that car don't seem to indicate that there is any turbo lag.  I've owned my Golf R for five years, and I have no complaints about the drivetrain. I suppose it depends upon how one drives, but in my normal use, the Golf R's turbocharger is invisible; I know the boost comes on at some point, but I can't detect it.

I've had naturally aspirated cars and motorcycles (notably my 1980 Honda CB-750F and my current BMW R1200R) with peaky power curves. My last car before my Golf R was a 2009 Honda Civic Si...now THERE was a rush of acceleration, at 6500 RPM, when the V-TEC system engaged. While stirring the gearbox to keep revs up was certainly entertaining (heavy sarcasm here), I was thrilled to experience the flat torque curve of my Golf R when I bought it.  So...with all due respect to your opinion, I think it's the basic design of the engine, rather than the presence or absence of a turbocharger, that determines power production.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't think of the 917 or 930 as "proper" Porsches...

I could be wrong, but were the 917 or 930 4 cylinder? I hear the current 911 has the turbocharging sorted which may or may not be partly due to the number of cylinders, and certainly is due to twin turbos, but the 718S I drove, a press car accompanied by factory mechanics, certainly had lag.

My opinion, and that's what it is, doesn't matter at all if you prefer turbo 4 pots, but I'm just pointing out that the new engine, to some, isn't an advance on the old one. And I dare say a fully electric Cayman will be regarded as a retrograde step from the 718 to some in the same way, as will the intervening hybrid model with three cylinders (conjecture).

Anyhow, buying new you have no choice but to go 718 so enjoy what you enjoy and I shall too. :91_thumbsup:

Edited by DJMC

1 hour ago, DJMC said:

I could be wrong, but were the 917 or 930 4 cylinder? I hear the current 911 has the turbocharging sorted which may or may not be partly due to the number of cylinders, and certainly is due to twin turbos, but the 718S I drove, a press car accompanied by factory mechanics, certainly had lag.

My opinion, and that's what it is, doesn't matter at all if you prefer turbo 4 pots, but I'm just pointing out that the new engine, to some, isn't an advance on the old one. And I dare say the a fully electric Cayman will be regarded as a retrograde step from the 718, to some, in the same way as will the intervening hybrid model with three cylinders (conjecture).

Anyhow, buying new you have no choice but to go 718 so enjoy what you enjoy and I shall too. :91_thumbsup:

No, the 917 and 930 had more than 4 cylinders...but the 356 did not. Was that not a "proper Porsche"? With respect, your comments remind me of the BMW motorcycling community's reaction when the K-bike engines were introduced in the 1980s: if it isn't a boxer twin, it isn't a "real" BMW. Yet the Flying Brick was very successful (I owned a K75s for 17 years) and today, BMW offers a variety of engine configurations all across their model range.

Okay...I've never driven an older Cayman (or the new one, for that matter) so I have no basis for personal comparison.  And I suppose if you have an affinity for the characteristics of a six cylinder engine, a turbo-4 just won't make the grade.  But...having owned a number of motorcycles and cars with a wide variety of engine configurations over the years, I'm not necessarily wed to any of them (except as explained below).  I have done a considerable amount of reading on these cars, and I'm satisfied that Porsche did their homework in designing the 718's engine. When I actually test-drive a Cayman, I doubt I'll be displeased...although anything is possible!  (Please see the attached article from Road & Track.)

One of the factors that impels me to buy my once-in-a-lifetime toy car now -- as opposed to another year or so -- is the looming prospect of being limited to hybrid or all-electric choices in just a few years.  I've been an enthusiast since I was first licensed to drive 48 years ago, and I've never owned a car that wasn't, first and foremost, entertaining to drive. I cannot imagine any hybrid or electric drivetrain, no matter how sophisticated, being as entertaining for an enthusiast as a gasoline engine coupled to a standard transmission. But that is indeed a generational preference... :-)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a28293/porsche-718-boxster-first-ride/

Edited by Giff Nickol

Better late than never as they say.  If you’ve not come from owning the traditional flat six cars then the modern 4 cyl Cayman is likely to impress you all the same, it’s still a very accomplished car.  It’s improvements often are ignored by those who see the new engine as a big downgrade, which many consider the beating heart of a Porsche.  Yes they have produced a number of 4cyl cars over the years, the 356 was a posh  Beetle though let’s face it.  The 944 was a good car but not the purists Porsche.  Even those with 2 extra cylinders have never really been considered shining lights of the marque.  

That said, I dont doubt you will be very impressed with the 718, it’s a very different car to the M2 albeit slightly less so than previous models were perhaps.  The 718 dynamically is a great mid-engined Porsche and drives like one expects it to.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Trickle said:

Better late than never as they say.  If you’ve not come from owning the traditional flat six cars then the modern 4 cyl Cayman is likely to impress you all the same, it’s still a very accomplished car.  It’s improvements often are ignored by those who see the new engine as a big downgrade, which many consider the beating heart of a Porsche.  Yes they have produced a number of 4cyl cars over the years, the 356 was a posh  Beetle though let’s face it.  The 944 was a good car but not the purists Porsche.  Even those with 2 extra cylinders have never really been considered shining lights of the marque.  

That said, I dont doubt you will be very impressed with the 718, it’s a very different car to the M2 albeit slightly less so than previous models were perhaps.  The 718 dynamically is a great mid-engined Porsche and drives like one expects it to.   

Thanks. Back in the early 1970s, I worked for a FIAT dealer in my town. I well remember when the X1/9 hit the market, and what it felt like to drive that mid-engine machine...nothing like it!

One of the things weighing against the M2 is that I doubt it would be all that much different in feel from my Golf R. (Were I replacing the R, instead of supplementing it, the M2, or an M240i, would be a good choice.)  Plus, I like the pure-sports aspect of the Cayman: Two passengers only, with the emphasis on performance....a four-wheeled alternative to my motorcycle... :-)

As someone that has extensively driven all the vehicles mentioned, I wouldn't rule out the M2.

It feels absolutely nothing like a Golf R. Boost is violent and the car has a very playful chassis, if you like a RWD car that you steer with the throttle you will love an M2. They 100% feel like a special cars.  As someone that has owned M Cars for 10+ years now (I still have an M3 alongside my Cayman) you need to own an m car for a while to totally get it.  

The 718 I found totally underwhelming in standard form.  The S really did feel significantly better though, which isnt something I have found with 987 or 981's where the base cars were also brilliant in their own right. That engine though is totally devoid of character, much like the power plant in the golf R actually so if you love the golf you will most likely love the 718.

By far and away the 718 has the slickest gearbox, best chassis and feels special still.

However if I were to you I would buy a 981 GTS and that will outdo the 718 and the M2 in every single department in my fairly broad experience of cars such as these.

Also it may be worth nothing that some spec will play a huge part in resale so maybe consult your dealer on this.

I find the most entertaining thing about my 981 is... the engine noise at higher revs.

If you love your bikes, one member here commented "Ducati?" when listening to the 718S running circuits around the Rockingham Race Track, being driven by Carrera Cup champion Charlie Eastwood.

For me a sports car has to sound like a sports car, which is one of the main reasons neither the 718 nor hybrid nor electric "sports" cars appeal. But others, almost entirely newcomers to Porsche, say they prefer the flat 4 noise. Can't be true petrol heads, none of them, in my opinion. I guess V12 owners could say the same about my meagre 6 cylinders too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PMGPete said:

As someone that has extensively driven all the vehicles mentioned, I wouldn't rule out the M2.

It feels absolutely nothing like a Golf R. Boost is violent and the car has a very playful chassis, if you like a RWD car that you steer with the throttle you will love an M2. They 100% feel like a special cars.  As someone that has owned M Cars for 10+ years now (I still have an M3 alongside my Cayman) you need to own an m car for a while to totally get it.  

The 718 I found totally underwhelming in standard form.  The S really did feel significantly better though, which isnt something I have found with 987 or 981's where the base cars were also brilliant in their own right. That engine though is totally devoid of character, much like the power plant in the golf R actually so if you love the golf you will most likely love the 718.

By far and away the 718 has the slickest gearbox, best chassis and feels special still.

However if I were to you I would buy a 981 GTS and that will outdo the 718 and the M2 in every single department in my fairly broad experience of cars such as these.

Also it may be worth nothing that some spec will play a huge part in resale so maybe consult your dealer on this.

You know, after I made that comment comparing the M2 to the Golf R, I realized how it could be misinterpreted! :-)  Let me try to explain that statement a little better...

The M2 is a front-engine design with 4 seats...too close in configuration to what I drive now.  Yes, the performance is vastly different, and in fact, there is actually a strong practical argument I can make for the M2: It can be used as a daily driver much more readily than the Cayman, and there is a BMW dealer only 500 meters from my home. But with dealers here charging Cayman S prices for the M2, I doubt I could seriously consider the BMW...but who knows, it might be worth re-visiting the dealer to discuss the subject and see if I can get a test drive in one...

Having driven motorcycles; go karts; various British sports cars; American muscle cars; a few European exotics; tractor-trailers; fire engines; ladder trucks; and an M1-A1 Abrams tank, I've experienced my share of "character" over the years in the vehicles I've operated. In planning this purchase, I am looking for a well-balanced sports car, one that will be reliable and fun to drive on the mountain roads that lie just a few hours west of my home. If the Cayman does that, I can live without the engine having whatever you define as "character".  (But hey, thanks for the gratuitous and elitist insult...it reinforces one of the main doubts I have about this whole notion of buying a Cayman, and really makes me want just to start looking for a clean used Corvette! Smh...)

Edited by Giff Nickol