Cayman S Gen1 Rear Spoiler Control Failure

Mavrik

Keep getting a "Spoiler Control Failure" notification on the dash re the rear aero spoiler.

What is the likely cause?

6 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Keep getting a "Spoiler Control Failure" notification on the dash re the rear aero spoiler.

What is the likely cause?

does it go up and down ok using the little button in front of the gear shift and the little yellow light work when up?

Hi

Sorry to butt in but does the light come on even in automatic mode. Mine goes up and down with the button but I can't see it when I am driving nor does the light come on in automatic mode. No failure mode on the dash.

Barry

Hi Barry. the light does not come on in normal mode. the spoiler should lift automatically at about 70 mph and drop automatically at about 55. the light only comes on when you hold the button for the duration it takes to lift the spoiler,then stays on.  ( on mine, hold for about 4-5 secs) it should then stay up while you drive around until you go over 70 again then when you drop below 55, it  will retract. at least, this is how mine works.  When I first got mine, I wasn't sure if mine was working either cos I couldn't see it from the driving position so I taped a short bamboo  cane to the tailgate with low tack masking tape in such a way that the cane laid flat over the spoiler loosely hinged to the tailgate with the tape so that when the spoiler lifts, the case rises up quite steeply and I could see this in the mirror. I ran a strip of masking tape over the spoiler too to stop any scratching.. it was only on for 10 mins before I took it off but job done, sanity restored. It might have been easier just to get someone to follow me but where's the fun in that. good luck Barry

Hi Bushman

Thanks for the reply. Made me smile the idea of a piece of bamboo taped to the spoiler, simple but effective. Might get some funny looks when driving during test runs:245: Maybe pin a Porsche flag to it to make it look like it is meant to be.

Barry

22 hours ago, Bushman said:

does it go up and down ok using the little button in front of the gear shift and the little yellow light work when up?

Yeah, it goes up & down manually using the dash switch... It only seems to throw a fault when I'm gunning it!?!

If I gradually exceed 75mph then there is no fault on the dash?

I may do what you did & tape something to the spoiler to see what the crack is...

Got a feeling the control unit for the spoiler is throwing an intermittant fault :-/

Edited by Mavrik

I was told by someone, cant remember who, slept since then, that one reason manufacturers make the spoilers retract at a much lower speed than the deployment speed is so that Mr Plod and on board video cant be used to trap you for speeding if they see you with the spoiler up and why manufacturers wont give precise documented speeds for spoiler operations.

that said, small surface spoilers have little effect below about 75 anyway.