Side grills - black or colour coded - discuss...

Interested in general opinion.

I’m not really fussed about styling ‘mods’, I bought a cayman 987 for many reasons, one of which being the gorgeous curves and lines (please tell me others get the same enjoyment from wiping down those beautiful rear quarter panel ‘buttocks’ as I do....?!? ?). 

However, I have a Carrera white S and the side vent grills are colour coded. Sometimes I think the side of the car is ‘too much’ all one colour and a bit ‘slabby’ (cant really explain what I mean here). 

I really like the CR black side vent and ‘PORSCHE’ decal contrast against the main colour (eg Benoirs previous white CR), but don’t want to look like I’m trying to make my CS look like an R. 

Or what about the ‘Cayman’ script black side decal?

Thoughts and opinions on contrasting vents and side decals invited....

cheers, Jason

• Like 1

Hi Jason 

I agree with the comment that the car can look a bit slab sided and needs the black grill or a script along the bottom to break it up so I did both to mine. I think Porsche got the 'R' aesthetics spot on so I have no shame in copying that. 

If you want to see how the grill looks painted without going to huge cost in case you don't like it you can remove them and paint them in plastidip which requires no real prep and just peels off if you don't like it, however it is a matt finish and not overly hard wearing like proper paint. The stripes can be tricky, the door part is relatively easy but I struggled a little to align the front bumper part but the supplier I used allowed me to buy spare front parts for £10. I am happy with the results. Good luck !

Edited to add: I love the rear curves / hips too, especially when looking out the side mirrors.

20180211_113555.jpg

Edited by crafty1

That looks spot on crafty ??

Do you have a link to the decal supplier that you used please?

like the plastidip idea to try it first. 

Buying spare grills is typically Porsche parts pricey!

cheers

Cheers. I bought mine through www.designstuffonline.co.uk

Next question is black wing mirrors or not ? still not decided on mine.

If you take the grills out make sure it is not too cold, I managed to break a locating tab as it was brittle due to lower temps.

Edited by crafty1

I loved my black on white.  I had the side sticker and I was going to extend it onto the bumper.  Another idea was to replace the white spoiler with a black one (respray?).

Due to a mix of exuberance, complacency, and bad luck, I am now looking at another Cayman S with similar features to my previous (sob), so white with black wing mirrors, side grills, rear wing.  I will probably get the roof resprayed to be black like my old one.  That was very nice, and something I haven't seen on any other Cayman.

This is a problem I've been pondering over for some time now. My guards red Cayman has silver side vents, lower section of wing mirrors in silver and front grills in silver, not sure if this was an option from factory or done by previous owners but it does look factory though. I'm considering re painting side vents, wing mirrors back to guards red and front grills in black and adding gloss white Cayman R decals which I think will break up the red along side of car, thought about black side vents as well but think it will be to much with white decals. I would agree with others on this and say white coach work with black decals and side vents is a no brainer and probably best colour combination ( Oh how I wished I'd gone for white ). Just my two peneth opinions.

Thanks all for your thoughts. 

I think I’ll do it a little later in the year (when it’s warm enough to remove the side vents without fear of snapping the tabs). 

I like the idea of the plastidip as a means of trying out the black look on the vents. 

@Maxheadroom I think the silver contrast elements on your car look great, especially with the 18”  cayman S wheels. 

Ive seen a sapphire blue cayman with the same silver trim parts before, I think it looked really distinctive in a good way. ??

12 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Maxheadroom I think the silver contrast elements on your car look great, especially with the 18”  cayman S wheels. 

Thanks Windymiller, I did to at first but after a few months of ownership decided the silver contrasts gota go.

I  wouldn't worry about what people say about making your cars look like an R - if you like the look, go for it !  Personally, I think the contrasting vents look better than colour coded, and the side stickers also look good. If you don't want to be accused of trying to be an R, how about leaving off the side stripes and going with black mirrors and vents ?  Just a thought to break up the "slab" of single colour.

I have white Cayman S.. and I just popped side vents out.. and rattle canned them satin black.. they've been d9ne nearly a year now..  and covered about 8k miles.. no chips or marks.. cost me about £16 for paint and primer... 

20170721_172133-1328x747.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gazwaz said:

Another pic

20170405_133232-1328x747.jpg

That’s a pukka job that. Did you use primer for the plastic? I was just going to re plasti dip but tempted to do this when it’s the summer. 

Hi @Buggyjam I just used Halfords grey primer and there own brand satin black..

The beauty of satin black is it's so easy to touch up should you ever need to.. 

Just never rub it too hard with polishing cloth or use any wax etc on it and it'll stay satin look... I've used this paint on loads of items over the years on various car and motorbike items...

Just watch YouTube videos of removing vents..

They can easy crack..

So warm them first with hairdryer before popping them out...  

I did my bars on ducati multistrada last month.. they were satin silver.. but new model has them in black... 

IMG-20171120-WA0001-816x459.jpeg

Edited by Gazwaz
Added photo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gazwaz said:

Hi @Buggyjam I just used Halfords grey primer and there own brand satin black..

The beauty of satin black is it's so easy to touch up should you ever need to.. 

Just never rub it too hard with polishing cloth or use any wax etc on it and it'll stay satin look... I've used this paint on loads of items over the years on various car and motorbike items...

Just watch YouTube videos of removing vents..

They can easy crack..

So warm them first with hairdryer before popping them out...  

I did my bars on ducati multistrada last month.. they were satin silver.. but new model has them in black... 

IMG-20171120-WA0001-816x459.jpeg

Thats really good, I’m sold on the idea. I’ll prob leave until it’s a bit warmer in the spring. My to do list is mounting lol

14 hours ago, Gazwaz said:

Another pic

20170405_133232-1328x747.jpg

Those look excellent Gazwaz, you wouldn’t know they’re not original fit colour. 

And the black grills definitely break up the slab sided look of the car in white, without it looking like it’s trying to be an R. 

Now to wait for some warmer weather ??

Have you got 2 sets of wheels also in those photos - an anthracite colour set of 18s and a black set of 19s?

very clean looking paint work, no ‘gravel rash’ along the sills or around the arches like mine seems to be accumulating thanks to Bucks roads that never get cleaned and are littered with ‘marbles’ and gravel. ??

Edited by Windymiller

My to do list this year is H&R lowering springs..

And decat manifolds.. ( onto my PSE system ).. anyone done either of these? If so how much was labour and who fitted them ???

33 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Those look excellent Gazwaz, you wouldn’t know they’re not original fit colour. 

And the black grills definitely break up the slab sided look of the car in white, without it looking like it’s trying to be an R. 

Now to wait for some warmer weather ??

Have you got 2 sets of wheels also in those photos - an anthracite colour set of 18s and a black set of 19s?

very clean looking paint work, no ‘gravel rash’ along the sills or around the arches like mine seems to be accumulating thanks to Bucks roads that never get cleaned and are littered with ‘marbles’ and gravel. ??

Mine has gravel rash all up that narrow vertical face, immediately behind the side grills. The bit just before the panel crease.