Side grills - black or colour coded - discuss...

28 minutes ago, Gazwaz said:

My to do list this year is H&R lowering springs..

And decat manifolds.. ( onto my PSE system ).. anyone done either of these? If so how much was labour and who fitted them ???

Ive got 35 mm H & Rs on. Didn’t get them fitted so can’t advise on that. Few folk on here have though and will be able to help.

I really love the look. The ride is firm on 18 inch wheels and can crash a little on small pot holes or ridges but not too bad. There’s zero body roll. Be prepared for even more stone chips though, oh and when you put them on, watch your front bumper as I found out lol. 

• Like 1

i fitted my H and R lowering springs on my 987.1 s.

it took me around 15 hours mainly due to the rear droplinks that had corroded into the rear hub carriers and took up some extra time.also a fair chunk of the rear interior trim had to come out to get to the top of the struts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gazwaz said:

I applied  3m venturesheild to sides and full front bumper... stop stone chips

did you do it yourself ?  What was the paint like prior to applying it ?  My absolute pet hate is stone chipping but seems hard to stop it without spending about the same as a repaint of the affected areas!

1 hour ago, s3 akr said:

did you do it yourself ?  What was the paint like prior to applying it ?  My absolute pet hate is stone chipping but seems hard to stop it without spending about the same as a repaint of the affected areas!

Interested to know too, When you say sides, which areas? I’ve got the bit in front of the wheel arch that they all have but the main area that gets it is just behind the side grills. 

Yeah there's a few stone chips.. but venturesheild is there to stop more... I'll put some pics on when it stops raining.

Yeah I fitted it myself.

My mate has graphic company so I've seen it done before... its a pain to fit but ive done a few cars and bikes now so not too bad at it..

11 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

Interested to know too, When you say sides, which areas? I’ve got the bit in front of the wheel arch that they all have but the main area that gets it is just behind the side grills. 

That's something I do :) I'm fitting it to mine so your welcome to have a look

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMGPete said:

That's something I do :) I'm fitting it to mine so your welcome to have a look

Nice one, I’ll have a look at that mate!

I spoke to Curries, they’re mega busy really due one of their blokes breaking a leg. Popped down to KRCR and they’re going to spray the bumperette thing.  Had all the inner arch shield off today to look at this corrosion. Thought paint had come off but hasn’t come off it was just dirt. It’s quite a few spot welds that have it. I’ve got all the bilthamber corrosion stuff so I’m gojng to give it over when it goes in for the bumper and ask them to try it so they can drop the top mounts off and treat, protect underneath.

Has yours got stone chip protector coating or underseal on the inner front arches or is it just paint?

Edited by Buggyjam

Mine is just paint afaik bud.  I had planned on taking mine off the road over winter and removing all the arch liners etc and deep cleaning it all but I couldn't stop driving it lol so I'll get to it over the next few months

took mine out today for the first time since October!! I remembered pretty well what a great drive it is, but I forgot just HOW great it is!!!!  It'll get a proper clean and polish in a couple of weeks and then hibernation will be officially over!  (no time to do it sooner or I would!)

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 08:24, Windymiller said:

Buying spare grills is typically Porsche parts pricey!

I'm thinking of getting my side grills painted too. I checked with Porsche and new grills are about £38 +vat each, in primer, could be an option if you might want to swap back to the original colour sometime?

57 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

I'm thinking of getting my side grills painted too. I checked with Porsche and new grills are about £38 +vat each, in primer, could be an option if you might want to swap back to the original colour sometime?

That’s suprisingly cheap. I can’t remember where I found some online but I’m sure they were about £250 for a pair!

Spyder vents £400!

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-body-trim-parts/porsche-cayman-gen-1-body-trim-parts-2005-to-2009/porsche-cayman-gen-1-body-styling-2005-to-2009/987-spyder-look-side-vents-grills-05-on.html

Think I’ll go for a new primed set and then paint with the Halfrauds satin, then I have best of both worlds ??

Still undecided re decals though... ?

Edited by Windymiller

14 hours ago, PMGPete said:

Mine is just paint afaik bud.  I had planned on taking mine off the road over winter and removing all the arch liners etc and deep cleaning it all but I couldn't stop driving it lol so I'll get to it over the next few months

Same with me. Gave up trying to go easy on the winter use :D. Glad it’s not just mine then. Strange design. They stone chip the sills but not the arches. Had a look under a 981 at the OPc. That’s got protection on the arches so guess they changed their minds.

I've been on with this conundrum for a bit on my Arctic silver 987 and currently looking into plastidip for the fog spars and side grills as a semi permanent idea to see if I like it enough to have them professionally sprayed. Might be an option to consider... Thinking about doing the wheels too but a bit more dubious about that idea.