Scraping noise from rear left wheel

I developed a scraping noise about 300 yards from home in the rear left wheel arch. Can't see anything.

It is not gear dependent and occurs when clutch depressed.

Edited by graham.reeds

Try brake pads...when you hear the noise put your foot on the brakes and see if it changes.

It may just be overnight corrosion between the friction material and the disc or you could be down to the backplate on one of the pads.

Just went out and spent 5 minutes comparing left to right with a bathroom mirror.  No obvious issues.

Started her up, gingerly pulled forward...no noise. Slowly drove around the block, finally plucked up courage and put it into third. Still nothing.

My working theory is that a stone must of got into the brake and that was the sound (but it sounded like metal on metal). Reversing onto the drive dislodged it.

Glad it happened 300 yards and not 300 miles away.

I am just over 39850 so I will put her in for a service (despite having one 4000 miles ago) and put my mind at rest.

Edited by graham.reeds

If there was a stone caught between the pad and disc, you'll see a groove in the disc.

If there's a groove, don't worry about it.  It'll disappear in a few hundred miles after the disc wears back down evenly.

If the sound is like a squeal or scrape it could be a stone. If it is more like a chuffing noise it could be the parking drum brakes. As they don't have any friction wear then a small amount of rust can cause a light chuff on the shoes.

Edited by Graham

It’s a really common issue on the cars, stones get caught between the metal brake shroud at the back.  It will eventually work loose or you can sometimes fish them out by pushing the brake shroud back and the stone will drop out.  

Noise is is awful though, sounds much worse than you’d think 

• Thanks 1

• Founder
15 minutes ago, Cay-Man said:

It’s a really common issue on the cars, stones get caught between the metal brake shroud at the back.  It will eventually work loose or you can sometimes fish them out by pushing the brake shroud back and the stone will drop out.  

Noise is is awful though, sounds much worse than you’d think 

This ^

Nearly always caught between the rear of the disc and the sheet metal shield