Tyre wear

Just put my car in for service and the video showed my fronts running at 2.8 and 2.5 tread. It was recommended that I change them and I did.

Now I don't know if the tyres were new when I bought it but I had done only 5700 miles since I bought it. 

My old BMW did roughly 20,000 miles per set and that was running up and down the motorway - no track days, or spirited driving, etc.

For a set of Michelin tyres - hmmm - just noticed that these don't say Pilot Sport on them (rears do but these do say N2 like the Pilot Sport rears) - how long should they last? Also how much should I have paid? This is through a Porsche dealership.

Edited by graham.reeds

What were the replaced tyres, and what did you replace them with? Can't quite work out where the Michelins fit in?

My Goodyear F1 A2 have done 23k miles on the front and are half worn.

I had Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. It was recommended that I change them as they were close (.9mm).  Not knowing how long they will last I had them changed for £225 each. The tyres do not have Pilot Sport written on them (but do have N2 - the speed rating?).

According to the invoice these are 'Mich Pspt2 N2 FE:F WG:' but my Sport tyres have the fact that they are pilot sport emblazoned around the edge.

Annoyingly I only took one photo of the wheel and tyres and it was a rear.

Also can someone please tell me what a 'Top up Bag' is and why does it costs £2.92!?

• Founder

What do the tyres have written on them if not Michelin then Graham.??

The zip up top-up bag is what comes with the oil, it should have some latex gloves, disposable oil funnel and some other bits I think - also takes a 1lt bottle of oil.  

You had to pay for a top up bag? Really?

At 20k service my OPC left a litre of Mobil 1 in a top up bag FOC.

Maybe that's because it was in warranty?

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

What do the tyres have written on them if not Michelin then Graham.??

The zip up top-up bag is what comes with the oil, it should have some latex gloves, disposable oil funnel and some other bits I think - also takes a 1lt bottle of oil.  

They just have Michelin on them plus the legal stuff but not the brand type - pretty much how I'd expect the cheapest tyres to be. Why does my older tyre proudly proclaim they are Pilot Sports but these seem embarrassed to say so?

Does anyone else have Pilot Sports 2 on the fronts and do the have the branding or just the manufacturer's logo on?

As I understand it, the only "N" rated Michelin summer tyre is the somewhat outdated PS2.  Porsche do seem slow to keep up, with the highly regarded and evidently superior Michelin PS4S being not yet N rated.  If your tyres are replaced at a Porsche dealer, they will, obviously, only fit N tyres, maybe even the somewhat suspect Pirelli P Zero N0.

PS4S are available Porsche "N" marked for 20" 981 sizes.

e.g.: Set of 4 tyres, "N0" marked, as under, in stock today for £835:

198981506_ScreenShot2018-06-04at18_38_59.png.9d62bffe8be5e8f36ed241f864496c9a.png

Last time I looked, PS4S 20" were around £1,000. £835 is less than I paid for my GY F1 A2s two years ago!!

?

Edited by DJMC

I always said they'd get real cheap once they were out there. Been waiting over two years since they were announced as imminent by Michelin.

Who wants el cheapo Michelins? 

N rated PS4S are currently not approved for any model (ref. current Summer Tyre Approvals list).

The current N rated 20" 35`s in 235 / 265 appear to be a legacy from the intended but delayed OEM supply to the 718 models. 

Only other N rated are 20" 245 / 35 and 305 / 30 ... for new 718 GT4 perhaps ? 

Maybe ... Porsche only N rate new `model` tyres in conjunction with their new model releases ?