718 Cayman GTS - OMG!

Nice report, thanks. You've pretty much summed up my feelings when I drove a 718S at the PEC last year, especially the self induced nausea on the launch control/PCCB stopping test. When on circuit I thought the engine sounded fine, it was only at tickover you could tell it was 'different'.

I now have a 987S PDK and depending on the roads and journey I'm on I vary between auto and paddle shifts but enjoy both, I usually drive in 'Sport' mode but with PASM in 'Comfort'. If I had any criticism of my PDK I'd say it can be a little slow to react to paddle changes but I suspect that this has been improved with the 981/982 PDK box. I'm happy with my car.

17 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

I'm happy with my car.

And isn’t that the most amazing thing about the Cayman.  There seems to be no such thing as a ‘bad one’ to have. 

Its the perfect (every day) sports car. 

Goddamn we’re all very lucky to own one ???

Edited by Windymiller

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I think the 718 is an incredibly capable sports car, I simply can't love that engine. If I want to drive a turbo four-pot with huge dollops of torque, I'll jump into my Focus RS and enjoy every minute of it. From my Porsche I want to hear that flat-six screaming behind my head as I wind it up over 7,000rpm, I want to have to work the gears to get the best out of it, rather than ride the torque wave. And that's before I start going on about hydraulic vs. electronic steering. 

For me Porsche has made a big mistake by dropping the Cayman and Boxster down to turbo-four engines, but not because of the forced induction - I'm pragmatic enough to know that the days of high-revving, naturally aspirated engines are practically over - it's more about losing the flat-six configuration that has been synonymous with the brand for so long.

As impressive and fast as the 718 Cayman is, if I was buying a new car in that bracket today I'd go for a BMW M2 Competition, since it still has that beautiful straight-six engine in it; and now the Competition has the same twin turbo version as the M3 and M4. In fact, at around £49k, the M2 Competition is an absolute bargain compared to the 718, too!

If I'm being really cynical, I think that by dropping the Cayman and Boxster down to four-pot turbo engines, Porsche has solved its problem of the Cayman/Boxster out-performing the 911. Now, even if a Cayman GTS is quicker than an entry level Carrera, Porsche has the caveat of "but the 911 is equipped with a Porsche flat-six engine" to hide behind. 

I quite agree with your final point Draven, re the cynical marketing exercise of making the ‘cheap’ end of the brand ‘less competent’ a car with 4-pot turbos, thus retaining the 911 6-cylinder as the ‘definitive’ Porsche. (NB - before I get flamed, this is not my personal opinion, just my inference of Porsche model positioning within the marque now).

But I couldn’t deny that the 718 (like or loath the endlessly debatable 4 vs 6, n/a vs turbo, etc, etc...) was a marvellous car and greatly enjoyable to drive. 

And yet, I enjoyed stepping ‘back’ into my 987 manual just as much. And that was the ‘revelation’ for me - I simply don’t think porsche makes a bad car.... ??

re your point on BMW M2 straight 6 ‘vs’ 718 flat 4 - I’ve never owned (or driven) a performance bimmer, but I like the look and specs of them  all. But I’ve never ‘longed’ for one, like I have for a Porsche (since 10 years old). So 6, or 4 cylinders, n/a or turbo, hydraulic or electric steering, manual or PDK, water or air cooled, I’ll always want a Porker in my garage for the rest of my days, and for me personally, nowt else would ever fill that space (though a Maserati GT might do as a ‘stop gap’ should the need ever arise.... ?

i think we we should all just lap up combustion engine driven performance cars for as long as they remain - we’ll all be (driven by) driving electric within 20-30 years... ?. imagine the for / against debates on here then, and all the reminiscing about the ‘good old days’ of turbo’d flat 4s ???

?????

On 23/06/2018 at 15:16, Draven said:

Much as I think the 718 is an incredibly capable sports car, I simply can't love that engine. 

Agreed ... as of right now, if it were to improve in future then a 718 would be a real possibility. Exhaust note is OK ... ish; that low speed `mechanical engine noise` so bothers me though ! 

As impressive and fast as the 718 Cayman is, if I was buying a new car in that bracket today I'd go for a BMW M2 Competition, since it still has that beautiful straight-six engine in it; and now the Competition has the same twin turbo version as the M3 and M4. In fact, at around £49k, the M2 Competition is an absolute bargain compared to the 718, too!

Tested a manual M2 yesterday, with a view of a `Competition DCT` replacing the 981 CS PDK ... engine; steering; handling; brakes are all very good. Driving ergonomics for my frame were awful -  offset pedals - elbow clashing with a `too high` glovebox on gearchanges - manual seat `way too high` (electric option is even higher) - steering wheel lacking sufficient height adjustment - poor dashboard layout / details. Whilst DCT would alleviate some of the above I could not live with a `high` seating position. I believe that the Competition will receive an `M` seat but whether it mounts lower ?  Hoping that a demonstrator is available at the August launch. 

19 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Tested a manual M2 yesterday, with a view of a `Competition DCT` replacing the 981 CS PDK ... engine; steering; handling; brakes are all very good. Driving ergonomics for my frame were awful -  offset pedals - elbow clashing with a `too high` glovebox on gearchanges - manual seat `way too high` (electric option is even higher) - steering wheel lacking sufficient height adjustment - poor dashboard layout / details. Whilst DCT would alleviate some of the above I could not live with a `high` seating position. I believe that the Competition will receive an `M` seat but whether it mounts lower ?  Hoping that a demonstrator is available at the August launch.

Yep - I was never completely sold on the standard M2, and I'm not really expecting the Competition to feel as focused and pure a driver's car as my Cayman R. But I think if I was weighing up a 718 or an M2 Competition, the straight-six would be quite a major plus point in the BMW's favour. 

It's unlikely to be a consideration anyway, since I can't see myself letting go of my R, especially since it's currently having the front end resprayed then covered in Xpel PPF among other things.  Add to that the new discs and pads I fitted recently, and it's looking like a keeper for a good while yet, lottery wins aside ?