Advice on driving in Italy

Daz

Hi just started planning a tour of Alps and down to Lake como for a few days. Reading about driving in Italy and I have read you need a spare wheel.

Do you? How have others got around this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Darren

according to the RAC, you need to carry; a green card (civil liability insurance) proof of insurance, driving licence, passport, V5 logbook, HiViz jackets for all occupants. a spare wheel, a warning triangle,  headlamp deflectors or corrected beams and an optional fire extinguisher.

don't know where you stand if your car was designed NOT to have or carry a spare wheel as many modern cars are. it might be a safety issue if you cannot securely restrain a heavy mass inside the passenger compartment.  It maybe however that Italian spec Porsches have a space saver in the Frunk like the old Poxsters did. Maybe a Porky main dealer could tell you that.

• Like 1

We've been to Italy the past 3 years in our 981 CS, which doesn't come with a spare, and never heard of that regulation before.

I f you haven't booked accommodation yet I can recommend a place at Como.

• Like 1

• Founder
6 hours ago, Daz said:

Hi just started planning a tour of Alps and down to Lake como for a few days. Reading about driving in Italy and I have read you need a spare wheel.

Do you? How have others got around this.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Darren

I drove to Como this summer, was a great drive down! 

Did a brief thread here of the route etc.

Thanks all. I read up a bit more a general opinion is if car came with compressor and tyre weld your ok not having spare.

Bushman read the RAC write up and got most things covered. Thank you. 

Beanoir

I read your right up and really enjoyed. Really helped convince the control tower aka the misses.

So far planning on driving to

Day 1 Stuttgart via Reims day may be stay near border. Hope to visit Porsche muesem and a factory tour.

Day 2 A bit of auto barn blasting to Swiss border. Then I have plotted a route that goes via Klausenpass and Susten pass

Day 3 , Grimsel pass, Furkapass and Nufenen pass then turning down to Lake como at Airolo.

Plan to stay in Como for 3 or 4 nights. Then take a fairly direct route back with an overnight stay.

Last questions read my insurance and it covers me full comp in EU for up to 30 days. Do I need a green card and where do you buy?

Any recommendations on places to stay?

• Founder

You don’t need a green card in any of the Western European contries anymore, further east some still require you to have one.  Call your insurer though and see what they have to say.  

If you’re using the Swiss autoroute then you will need a Vignette (Road tax).  You can buy online in advance of your trip which is the best way.  

https://switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/excursion/motorway-vignette-switzerland/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ebdBRC1ARIsAD8U0V7dlBOm4juY1sFaxjrq9_Fb9WceUBpiY_bWr2l_XMpY320EJW0pECQaAgMbEALw_wcB

Also a toll tag for the french motorways, makes life much easier at all the tolls.  

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/subscription/