New member from Lincoln UK

Dan Norton

Sorry not been too active on the forum, last 3 weeks with work have been absolutely mental!

However, managed to put 1000 miles on the car since getting it (mainly 150 miles or so every weekend).

Unfortunately she has developed a problem 😞.

Its developed a "ticking" sound which has become more noticeable over last couple of weeks.

Its not a metallic sound, and you can hear it more so on the right hand side drivers vent .....the weird thing is, it only comes on after the car has dropped off the higher revving cold idle after start up.

The good news is i have a good warranty on the car, and Renaissance Classics are picking up next week to get it sorted for me. 

• Administrators

Welcome Dan!  

Could be a number of things, but a ticking could be a sticky lifter, but with a metallic sound, I wonder if it's an exhaust clamp which is very common.  

Let us know how you get on 

2 hours ago, Forum Admin said:

Welcome Dan!  

Could be a number of things, but a ticking could be a sticky lifter, but with a metallic sound, I wonder if it's an exhaust clamp which is very common.  

Let us know how you get on 

Will do for sure.

Having googled "cayman s ticking noise".....i wish i hadn't 🤣....it seems to list everything from "engines knackered with bore scoring" to one guy who got something stuck on his auxiliary belt.

I did read an amazing post somewhere form the main tech guy at Hartech engines, who went into incredible detail about what causes such noises and what they've seen and diagnosed over the years.

Mine has had its bores checked before selling to me, and all was good that way.....so lets hope its something relatively simple.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2019 at 21:31, Dan Norton said:

Sorry not been too active on the forum, last 3 weeks with work have been absolutely mental!

However, managed to put 1000 miles on the car since getting it (mainly 150 miles or so every weekend).

Unfortunately she has developed a problem 😞.

Its developed a "ticking" sound which has become more noticeable over last couple of weeks.

Its not a metallic sound, and you can hear it more so on the right hand side drivers vent .....the weird thing is, it only comes on after the car has dropped off the higher revving cold idle after start up.

The good news is i have a good warranty on the car, and Renaissance Classics are picking up next week to get it sorted for me. 

Am pretty sure some minor ticking isn't unheard of amongst the community, and is rarely (if ever?) serious

• Like 1

Pick it up on the 16th back at the dealership.

Full set of lifters installed - noise has disappeared, and my engine is in perfect health.....no bore scoring, pistons perfect, camshafts perfect.

As discussed above, i'm going to put up a thread about the dealer - as i cant recommend them enough.

I'd like to get the full story first from the Porsche tech there who's worked on my car, and then i can give a full rundown.

In the meantime, if there's a Porsche you fancy at Renaissance Classics, then you can rest assure you are in good hands from viewing, purchase, and aftercare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forum Admin said:

Tappets/lifters are the common ticking noises, glad it wasn't anything more severe. 

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, engine has a full clean bill of health which is brilliant to hear.

Full confidence knowing its right for our road trip to Italy end of May.

Dan

Really pleased that you got the car sorted and now a clean bill of health. Already for the summer.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 05:50, Daz said:

Dan

Really pleased that you got the car sorted and now a clean bill of health. Already for the summer.

Thanks buddy.....all ready for the summer for sure! Cant wait to get using it regular.