Newbie to this forum, not to Porsche

Beej4

Hi caymanites!

Saying hello to the forum and looking forward to expert advice, similar to 911uk.com where I'm also a member.

I have the Porsche itch again after several years away. I used to own a 911 996 c4s tip coupe in seal grey and as soon as I sold it, I regretted it immediately. Absolutely loved the way it drove and the fairly exclusive club Porsche is, even with the knowledge of the higher cost of ownership cf your standard Euroboxes.

So, I might be interested to get back into a Porsche but something newer and more agile than the 996, hence considering a Cayman.

After reading a few guides, I've prelimarily decided on a gen 2 3.4 S. I cannot decide on manual or PDK so members' thoughts and experiences on both would be invaluable. Of course, I know I should drive both variants to ultimately decide what suits me best. A 2.9 would be a second choice and I know it's just as capable but I love more power!!!

My c4s had had a Hartech rebuild, that's why I bought it but I know the gen 2's don't suffer from bore scoring and don't have an IMS to worry about either, both important considerations. If that's not true, please correct me!

Desirable options to have would also be nice to hear from members. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger but I'm trying to arm myself with as much info as possible before doing so, just like I did when buying my c4s.

Looking forward to hearing back from members!

Regards

Beej

Edited by Beej4
  • Like 1

Welcome. I went PDK having been manual in all my cars as I quite liked ease of day to day use not that mine is used everyday but on occasion it makes negotiation of a boring drive much easier and certainly any traffic. Also the flappy paddles are actually fun to use when pushing on. So the best of both worlds.
However its a very personal choice so get out there and drive them both. 

For me desirable options are for PDK this is for a 981

PDK
Sports Chrono
PASM
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Sports steering wheel
BOSE Surround Sound-System
Sport Seats Plus
Porsche Dynamic Light System
Bi-Xenon Headlamps
Parking Distance Control - Front and Rear
Cruise Control

If you can get PSE aswell your ona winner and basically in a GTS just about.

Alot of the options will be down to what you use the car for. I go on track occasionally so PTV Sports Chrono and PASM where something I wanted.

Hi Alucardo

Thanks for your welcome!

I've actually already driven a PDK version and it was fantastic, just as your experience. Yet I keep having this nagging feeling that a manual will eventually become more desirable over time, what with most cars going down the auto route. 

A lot of the options you mention I would also like in the car I want but I'll probably won't track it so PTV is not essential. Also, trying to find one with PSE is challenging, and the ones I do see are more that I wish to pay.

There's a few I've noted that look very good. Everyone's opinions matter to me so please let me know what you guys think

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-s-987-gen-ii-24v-one-previous-owner-pasm-sports-suspension/9028116

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-s-aqua-blue-manual-sport-seats-chrono-987-gen-ii-24v/9289337

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/fully-loaded-cayman-s--p-c-g-b-member/9294602

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809110383598?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811202587883?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Welcome to the OC Beej! 

Have you found our buyers guide for the 987, if not you'll find them here: 

https://www.caymanoc.com/library/

If you end up looking at the 981 then @Beanoir helped CAR magazine write the buyers guide that has been published in this months magazine! 

:welcome:

PS, although it doesn't have a sports exhaust button as such, it has been fitted with a Miltek sports exhaust which sounds amazing

Sorry to keep adding but I keep forgetting!

All vents covered in mesh, which is something I would've done on any car which didn't have it.

The wheels are 19" carerra sport alloys so if I wanted to buy the wheel nuts, what type of tapering do the nuts have?

• Founder

Congrats!! Looks lovely in black.  Looks like a Gen2 Black Edition.  Extended leather and rear wiper(!) options by the looks of it too. 

I bought black nuts from my local Porsche center, in fact I still have them and I don't think they were that expensive.  They were extra long though to fit with the GT3 spacers.  

There is a thread about the heater controls and various fixes for the rubber coating wearing away.  It's very common on the Gen1.  

Thanks Beanoir!

I think the previous owner (who apparently is a big Batman fan, hence the plate) wanted to re-create the black edition.

The interior also has the alcantara wheel and gear gator which I also really like the feel of...oh er missus

Hi Beej4. welcome mate, great looking ride. I'm sure you already know being a previous Porker owner but to remind you that Porsches use a radius seat washer on a wheel bolt not a taper seat washer or fixed taper bolt. To prevent galvanic corrosion, I smear Copperslip (other brands available) over the radius seats and the threads. quite a few owners fit spacers, especially on the front to reduce understeer, this might be  cheaper way of getting new black bolts and lockers ( I've only seen extended lockers in Chrome though) hope this helps.

Thanks Bushman!

i couldn't remember the bolt type so thanks for answering that for me.

I'll look out for these type of bolts although I haven't checked if there are spacers fitted yet or not. Good tip about the Copperslip, cheers.

• Like 1

• Founder
51 minutes ago, Bushman said:

( I've only seen extended lockers in Chrome though) hope this helps.

Black lockers definitely available Steve, they're standard on the CR.  I'm sure there's a Pork premium to pay.  Failing that, McGuard do black ones - also expensive! 

• Like 1

Update - Phoned OPC Cambridge and they cannot source black bolts for my car...at all!

Plenty of silver options though.

I'll try elsewhere so suggestions gratefully received!

22 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Congrats!! Looks lovely in black.  Looks like a Gen2 Black Edition.  Extended leather and rear wiper(!) options by the looks of it too. 

I bought black nuts from my local Porsche center, in fact I still have them and I don't think they were that expensive.  They were extra long though to fit with the GT3 spacers.  

There is a thread about the heater controls and various fixes for the rubber coating wearing away.  It's very common on the Gen1.  

Hi Benoir

My issue with the heater controls is the "TEMP" and 'fan' icon are faded out too, so I can't 'touch up' the rubberised areas alone, I'll still have no symbols!

I can live with it, doesn't really bother me as I've quickly worked out what each button does...LOL