Ignition coils

Mat_C

1 hour ago, Mat_C said:

Does anyone have any advise on coils, not looking for anything special just a decent replacement.

cheers,

Mat

I changed mine recently, bought from Design 911 think they were Beru and about £170 for a set of 6 

4 hours ago, Mat_C said:

Thanks both, if I am changing one should I just change them all or is that overkill.

Depends when they were changed last, I’d have a look just to see what kind of condition there’re in first, if the plastic body of the coils have started to split/crack and showing the coil laminations then I’d change them all. All six coil bodies had split on mine so it’s a no brainier really. It’s right pain in the butt of a job so best get them all done at once as I can guarantee that you change one and then a few months later you’ll have to do another couple or so. I would also change spark plugs as well.

Edited by Maxheadroom
Add text

Quick short reply but if you have an AV (multimeter) you can test the resistance of the coil packs... if they are all within spec (see google etc) then chances are they are OK... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Might want to get new bolts also, design911 sell them as well.

Would agree, but.............I bought new bolts but shouldn’t of bothered as each coil pack came with a new bolt anyway :) 

12 hours ago, Mat_C said:

Thanks Max, this was going to be my approach but thought I would ask to ensure I am not being pedantic.

Your not being pedantic Mat_C In my opinion I’d change em all, I’m a big fan of preventative maintenance . I know it’s a bit of an expense but once there done, there done so to speak, so at least you’ll have piece of mind for quite a few years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2019 at 19:26, Maxheadroom said:

Would agree, but.............I bought new bolts but shouldn’t of bothered as each coil pack came with a new bolt anyway :) 

Hi @Maxheadroom, just to check it was the BERU coil pack at £170 that included the bolts?

Thanks