STYLING

Hi guys,

any my ideas or recommendations of changing the styling as I’m struggling to find what I want for a reasonable cost, all for 987 G2

1) I have the single exhaust and want to change the tail pipe tip to a twin. I cannot find one which I think will fit correctly for under £150. I only want the tip to change and it’s approx 150ml depth, I’ve swapped this on my 997 no issues but I’m struggling. Not bothered if it’s black or chrome

2) white or red dials change, Any suggestions on where’s a good quality place to purchase and how easy are they to change

3) side scoops. I love these ones but seem pricey for what they are, Any ideas on similar products not imported and therefore not silly price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRP-EP-Style-Side-Fender-Air-Vents-Kits-For-Porsche-06-12-Caymans-987-Boxster-S/263902640651

Thanks

I've never seen a good quality one that cheap, they seem to be between £225 and £400:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt63_401_-cma81-cmo121-ct1376/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-987C-MKII-29L-2009--/Exhaust-Tail-Pipes/

Carnewal also do good ones, but not cheap:

http://www.carnewal.com/Exhaust#987

1 hour ago, GlosRich said:

I've never seen a good quality one that cheap, they seem to be between £225 and £400:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt63_401_-cma81-cmo121-ct1376/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-987C-MKII-29L-2009--/Exhaust-Tail-Pipes/

Carnewal also do good ones, but not cheap:

http://www.carnewal.com/Exhaust#987

I bought the OEM 981 tips from Carnewal for my 987 - they are a bit expensive but the quality is excellent and they sound great when partnered with the GT exhaust.  As Gert explained, some of the cheaper versions can restrict air flow, and you may have issues with fitment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought a used twin tip from 9Apart. I think I paid about £125 for it and it came off an RS60 Spyder.

Edited by Spykee

How easy are they to fit? The reason I ask is that mine are a bit scabby, but would clean up well. I don't fancy doing that in situ, so I was wondering what's involved in removing & refitting them.

Cheers,

Bryan

2 minutes ago, briggy said:

How easy are they to fit? The reason I ask is that mine are a bit scabby, but would clean up well. I don't fancy doing that in situ, so I was wondering what's involved in removing & refitting them.

Cheers,

Bryan

One central clamp on mine.

Just requires a nut undoing behind the outlets.

May well of course require a grinder / new clamp because of heat cycles and age,

Im going to get mine on ramps and tackle it for this reason... 

The tip is a T shaped piece with each end of the top section to the T going to each back box. A clamp should be in place on both sides.

If you have a Gen I car the tip should be clamped on at the bottom/longer part of the T so you can undo this and twist it off. If you have the twin round tips for the Gen II just the tip won't come off, as sevenfourate has suggested this based on his Gen I car. The tip looks like this TT with one tip on each. If its the latter its a much bigger job.

Gen I single and twin tip = T shape exit going into back boxes on either side.

Gen II twin tip - TT shape exit going into back boxes on either side.

I replaced my Gen I twins with the round Gen II twins for the RS60. With a Gen II style tip, as the exhaust is on solid mounts rather than rubber you have to remove the whole exhaust from the cats back to get the tip off. My bolts were totally destroyed so I had to grind them out and then heat them and hammer them out. It wasn't an easy job at all.

If you just want to clean them up, undo the clamps either side of the T piece and put the exhaust tip so tis pointing down towards the floor. That way it'll give you enough clearance away from the bumper to get a machine polisher on them.

HTH

Edited by Spykee

Thanks to Spykee & sevenfourate. Mine's a Gen 2 S, so sounds like reversing onto ramps and undoing the clamps to allow the exhaust to point down is the way forward for me.

I once changed a cat back exhaust on an Audi RS4, on my drive. Never EVER again!

Cheers,

Bryan

1 hour ago, briggy said:

Thanks to Spykee & sevenfourate. Mine's a Gen 2 S, so sounds like reversing onto ramps and undoing the clamps to allow the exhaust to point down is the way forward for me.

I once changed a cat back exhaust on an Audi RS4, on my drive. Never EVER again!

Cheers,

Bryan

I've just ordered a new Stainless twin-exit end pipe today Bryan. Fitting (On the ramps) is happening Thursday. I ordered a new clamp too - as the chances of the old one coming off without a grinder are slim i reckon !

Let me know how you go; if you beat me to it.......

Good luck.