Which coolant ?

My 987.1 has possibly used an eggcup full of coolant / antifreeze in the month i've had it  (Checked by supplying dealer before i drove away - i'm told).

I would have bought some genuine Porsche stuff to have around no problem - but nearest dealer is 100 mile round trip. And at £20 a litre + postage online....i didn't think i really needed that hassle or expense for something so 'trivial'. So a litre of Pink - which if i dip the car with a cotton bud; i'm 99% sure this is what is in the car  - was bought. Which turned out to be more of a full-on Red in colour [Mannol long life]. Which i gather you're not supposed to mix in terms of two different colours  🙄

So; not being 110% sure what's in the car (Type or infact possibly colour......and are there different types / requirements for Porsche cooling systems in terms of Pink even ??? ), not wanting to fully drain the system to refill with something i am actually sure of - what do i do from here; other than top up with distilled and worry about the issue later......👎 

Or am i overthinking this ? Just desperately don't want a bad reaction to mixing different types of coolant - resulting in a gel being created as i've heard can happen......

Thanks !

Gelling, phosphate content, water-pump lubrication......gets "worse" the more you read:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/1031538-coolant.html

Do i just 'presume' my car has genuine Porsche stuff in; and just buy a litre of that at £30 odd to my door ?

Well - it's definitely Pink:

Aq7f5N7.jpg

And from some Googling; this is supposedly the exact stuff that Porsche use in their bottles:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Glacelf-Auto-Supra-Concentrated-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Litre/151580156333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

??

Comma G40 is the stuff if you buy it from Halfords, otherwise get the Porsche stuff.

EDIT: No idea why the Comma stuff is a different colour though, think its green from memory...I had all my coolant replaced when the water pump sh*t itself so I assume it now has whatever DW Performance put in.

Mine was losing a similar amount and it turned out to be a weeping pipe in the passenger side front wheel arch.

Edited by Spykee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spykee said:

Comma G40 is the stuff if you buy it from Halfords, otherwise get the Porsche stuff.

EDIT: No idea why the Comma stuff is a different colour though, think its green from memory...I had all my coolant replaced when the water pump sh*t itself so I assume it now has whatever DW Performance put in.

Mine was losing a similar amount and it turned out to be a weeping pipe in the passenger side front wheel arch.

Cheers. Glad you got yours sorted buddy ! I'm not 100% sure it's actually lost any. Could of been a lackadaisical attempt at filling right up to the mark. Or perhaps a difference of when it was taken etc etc etc. All i now see is its a smidgeon low in the neck. And being a new car - i've been very keen-eyed at looking for spots of anything underneath it when parked up / in the garage at home etc.

Point is i needed a very small amount - and would be prudent to have some around anyway. As i'm sure i'll need it sometime.

I went for this in the end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Glacelf-Auto-Supra-Concentrated-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Litre/151580156333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

....as its right about half the price of the Porsche stuff; and from Google searching; the info from Rennlist, UK Porsche Owners club to name a couple of forums; say this is exactly the same stuff Porsche sell you in their bottles; and is infact made for Porsche by Total.

That may or may not be completely true, but it has the same properties, same specs, is the same colour, is completely compatible - so why not ! ?

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 20:27, sevenfourate said:

Well - it's definitely Pink:

Aq7f5N7.jpg

You’re clearly not driving your car enough ‘748’ with tailpipe inners that clean and shiny... 🧐😏😛😁

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

35 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Ha ! 

New tailpipes mate. And was after a clean. Plus being new - I seem to be going through Autosol at quite a rate 😎

If it carries on weeping a small amount, first port of call would be the plastic cap. Mine was dodgy and was weeping when under pressure. Started leaking a small amount over the months.I think they’re like 12 quid or something. A not uncommon prob.

Edited by Buggyjam

45 minutes ago, Buggyjam said:

If it carries on weeping a small amount, first port of call would be the plastic cap. Mine was dodgy and was weeping when under pressure. Started leaking a small amount over the months.I think they’re like 12 quid or something. A not uncommon prob.

I found a few coolant spots inside the plastic cover to get to oil and water caps.

Thought then it was overspill.

Maybe not !!!! Now going to order one to eliminate non sealing issues....

THANKS !!!!