Caliper Paint / Protection

I've not used BCS but am also looking at getting my calipers refurbed at some point soon, so would also be interested in any feedback people have.  There is a company near to me (Monster Wraps) who also do caliper refurbs that I'm waiting for a quote from.

BCS ... a poor experience for me. 

I requested a quote for my B5 S4 Audi Avant, to refurbish the calipers. I received a huge volume of `blurb` telling me how good they were but never a quote. They then continued to pester me with non applicable offers until I unsubscribed from their list.

Ended up going elsewhere and buying refurbished calipers for similar money to their on line, guideline prices.  

Are the calipers on Gen1's known to be finicky at all ? I say this because the Brembo 4-pots on my previous Clio 200 were; and at the very least required a yearly removal, strip, clean and re-lube. If not a mechanical refurb to go along with the potential cosmetic refurb as the years rolled by.....

Many of the forum guys had theirs painted and re-finished. Or bought a used set off ebay, had those refinished and then sold on the originals to re-coup some costs. And often the cost of this was more than you could buy brand new calipers for. Which for some - with cars of a similar age to a Gen1 Cayman - seemed a little short-sighted.

Not suggesting you aren't; but if i was getting the calipers cosmetically refinished; i would deffo be looking into getting new seals, nipples / piston(s) etc if need at the same time. I presume for a 'proper' painting job - they are having to remove all these parts anyway. So you wouldn't / shouldn't be paying extra labour to rebuild back together with new parts as opposed to with your original parts.

What sort of prices are people being quoted for what level of re-furbing anyway ?

On 01/09/2019 at 11:36, sevenfourate said:

Are the calipers on Gen1's known to be finicky at all ? I say this because the Brembo 4-pots on my previous Clio 200 were; and at the very least required a yearly removal, strip, clean and re-lube. If not a mechanical refurb to go along with the potential cosmetic refurb as the years rolled by.....

Many of the forum guys had theirs painted and re-finished. Or bought a used set off ebay, had those refinished and then sold on the originals to re-coup some costs. And often the cost of this was more than you could buy brand new calipers for. Which for some - with cars of a similar age to a Gen1 Cayman - seemed a little short-sighted.

Not suggesting you aren't; but if i was getting the calipers cosmetically refinished; i would deffo be looking into getting new seals, nipples / piston(s) etc if need at the same time. I presume for a 'proper' painting job - they are having to remove all these parts anyway. So you wouldn't / shouldn't be paying extra labour to rebuild back together with new parts as opposed to with your original parts.

What sort of prices are people being quoted for what level of re-furbing anyway ?

Around £300-350 for a respray, as per the description here:

https://www.monsterwraps.co.uk/calipers

I had a look at Design911 and I think a new set of red calipers comes in at approx £2K!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ben said:

I had a look at Design911 and I think a new set of red calipers comes in at approx £2K!

‘Gulp’ is all I can muster.....

20 hours ago, Ben said:

Black ones are a lot cheaper.....

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_483_-cma81-cmo121-ct312/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-2-7L-987C-2006--/Brake-Calipers/

Black ones are £305.72 each for front and £244.80 each for the rear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Black ones are a lot cheaper.....

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_483_-cma81-cmo121-ct312/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-2-7L-987C-2006--/Brake-Calipers/

Black ones are £305.72 each for front and £244.80 each for the rear.

£900 difference for the red paint. 

Seems good value......😉