Trickle charger

Folks, quick question. I’ve finally got round to getting a new trickle charger. I’ve decided to fit directly to the battery, as I have done lots of time for motorcycle’s. Is there anything I need to know before I disconnect the battery or just crack on (neg first etc)

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Watts said:

Folks, quick question. I’ve finally got round to getting a new trickle charger. I’ve decided to fit directly to the battery, as I have done lots of time for motorcycle’s. Is there anything I need to know before I disconnect the battery or just crack on (neg first etc)

cheers

Don’t be scared with all the warnings you’ll get when it comes back on. And it might be worth a throttle reset procedure when you reconnect. 

The warnings will go away 100yards down the road. 

I leave my battery connected and attach the trickle charger, sat in the frunk I run the wire at the lowest point where the panels meet with a microfibre cloth protecting the paint.  I don't fully close the lid but the frunk light goes off after a few minutes. 

No issues so far.  

Hey Peter. You’ve a gen 2 like mine, I use a CTEK battery conditioner with a 12v cig plug through the hot cig socket under the armrest. No need to disconnect anything or fuss with spades, covers etc. 

I’ve not tried charging a totally flat battery this way (might not be advisable in that scenario? Not sure) but I have no probs when I lay it up for a few weeks at a time in winter doing this.

• Like 1

I have also ordered a CTEK today from Amazon. The MXS 5.0 as it is on a Black Friday deal.

Does the batter need to be disconnected to fit the eyelet connector cable, can this not be done with the batter still connected and the small tightening screws just removed (maybe I am talking rubbish).

If I have to disconnect the batter is that OK, reading above it sounds OK, but I have read horror stories on other Porsche forums about errors after a battery disconnect.