ownership longevity

Dan Getson

HI Folks,  I have been admiring the Cayman for several years, and I thought '19 might finally be the year I could get one!   I've been researching/following a LOT of different ones on line.  

When I look up a lot of the CarFax reports - it seems that the trend is VERY RARELY will any of these owners keep the car for more than 2-3 years???  I'm wondering -- what are they figuring out after a year or two that they didn't realize when they took it for their first test drive!?!?     I love the way they drive, but I'm not going to race it.  Probably won't show it either.  I Just want a nice sporty car to drive 5,000 miles/year instead of my work pickup truck. 

Is this a GOOD CAR for THAT??? Thanks. 

Dan G.

Dan; the short answer is that Caymans are great at what you're looking to use a car for....and many other things! Yes, many people turn them over...often they brand swap as well (eg from from a Cayman to an M3 to a TT RS to an AMG Merc etc)....let's face it, most purchasers of a new Porsche these days are buying the brand rather than the experience ....driving fun, joy of ownership etc aren't of appeal compared to having a certain badge on the drive way. It's a much smaller proportion of us that choose a car that we really like and want to keep, invest in, and use as it was intended. Sad indication of the way things are going; more people see cars as "transport", rather than anything more

• Like 1

Agree with Craig - I also think that if you're unlucky the bills can stack up quite quickly which may encourage some people to move a car on - or changes in lifestyle, as its only a 2 seater.  I've had mine for a year and a half and it still feels new to me, and have every intention to keep it for quite some time yet!  

• Like 1

Agree with the above two posts. Caymans will generally be more of a toy car and lets be honest. People get bored of toys. Only a few cayman owners (and likely to be on here) are really into their car for the long term. When they get out of warranty they can start to get pricey for bits (the same as any car things do wear out eventually)  and like dating a gorgeous girl who starts causing hassle, the novelty can firmly wear off for some at that point.

Its a perfect car for what you describe, albeit 5000 miles a year is waaaay too low in my opinion haha. They’re reliable all weather sports cars. They’re just a car. Only thing they’re not great at is going up and down kerbs or lumpy bits. I’ve taken mine everywhere. They don’t break more than other cars it’s just when you need new bits, you’re fixing a Porsche not a Ford so the cost will be different.

• Like 1

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. 

ive had mine since March 2017 and 41k Miles (shes a 2010 car - now has 58k miles), and I have no plan to get rid anytime soon - I absolutely love my 987.2 S 😍😍😍👍🏻

My first ~15 months she was my daily driver, past ~15 months she’s now my wknd toy + 4-5 trackdays a year and is ‘hibernated’ in the winter, so doing ~5k Miles now. 

personally I think the cayman (whichever model) is THE perfect go to sports car - everyday useable, trackday fun capable, reasonably affordable (for a sports car 😉). 

Go for it my man 👍🏻