Cup 2 Alternatives

Sam@IoM

Ciao, 

So, track tyres, what are we all using?

I've been running on Michelin PilotSport Cup 2s for the last 5 years as there really hasn't been anything that can do both road and track quite so well. Now however Dunlop have released their SportMaxx Race which come standard on some Porsche GT products (Dunlops or Cup2) and Goodyear with their Eagle Supersport R & RS. 

Are these really a viable options to my beloved Cup2s? Feel free to share your experiences.

Sam

Edited by Sam@IoM

I run Toyo R888 for the dry, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for the wet. Ive done 20 track days on the R888 and they're great, but wouldn't use them on the road. 

Hi Sam,

For the last couple of years I've been doing 15-20 track days per year, and as you can imagine I've got through my fair share of rubber. With Cayman (I've had the Cayman for 14 months) I decided I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a 2nd/3rd set of wheels (as I did with my previous track car), and because my car gets used on the road (NC500, Wales touring etc) and at all times of the year (summer & winter), I decided to go with a tyre that was capable of shedding some water. I thought my only real choice was the MPS4S and duly ordered some, but unfortunately Michelin had run out in Europe along with Cup 2s! I therefore looked around at some alternatives and found the newly released Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport and decided to give it a try (at this point there weren't any reviews out but I really needed some tyres). To cut a long story short they have been excellent and lasted very well considering the abuse they received. The first set only failed because I hadn't put any adjustable arms on the front of the car and wore the shoulders out. Now the car has some proper camber the car so SS give fantastic grip in all weather, they even perform well on wet trackdays. 

Next year I will no doubt be very tempted by the SS R, but the appeal of the SS for me is it's performance Vs the price, which was at least £100 cheaper than the MPS4S for 4 tyres, and the Cup 2s were around £250-£300 more last time I checked. 

p.s My car is running the Spyder wheels (19')

Edited by Dougle_turbo

@Windymiller thanks for link to the vid, very informative. I'd love to see a comparison against the equivalent Michelin. 

@Dougle_turbo glad to hear the Supersports performed well and bodes well for the SS R. I'm keeping an eye out for SS R's becoming available for in Spyder 19 sizes. Where did you get the SS from?