Buying a vehicle purely as an investment....

sevenfourate

Anyone done, considered or planning on doing this ?

Madness, genius, too much hassle or better to stick to more traditional  (Boring as sin) investment streams....

Edited by sevenfourate

If there is a long waiting list or a limited run you could make a quick buck, Cayman GT4 potentially, as Porsche dealers will only sell to existing customers.

Beyond that its something you would have to sit on for probably at least 20 years to see any return? With storage and maintenance costs for those 20 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GlosRich said:

If there is a long waiting list or a limited run you could make a quick buck, Cayman GT4 potentially, as Porsche dealers will only sell to existing customers.

Beyond that its something you would have to sit on for probably at least 20 years to see any return? With storage and maintenance costs for those 20 years.

I can't quite stretch to a new GT4 on savings alone 🙄 And by the sounds of it: wouldn't stand a chance of getting one even if i could actually afford.

But i do have half that amount to 'invest'. I also have storage and if going this route would potentially be looking for something that would at the very least not depreciate - if at all possible - and could be taken out on the odd Sunday to a Car-show etc, tinkered with and relished. It's not necessarily  all about actually "earning" from the capital.......but perhaps at my stage of life actually enjoying an active 'investment' too. Any investment carries risk, but of course: i don't want to go in knowingly throwing money into the wind doing so.

Perhaps this is a pipe-dream and would end up being not only a far greater risk, but also a lot more ‘trouble’ than for example using the monies as down payment on a buy-to-let flat. I really just wondered if anyone else has taken the plunge on something similar (or infact any other non main-stream investment) I guess....

Edited by sevenfourate

Potentially a tidy low mileage 996 911 could be a good one. The 996 is undervalued, and as all 911 do, should go up in value longer term.

Buy to let isn't what it was with the new tax changes, less mortgage interest tax relief.

Wine can be fairly good over say 10 years.

Think I would want one of those, with a bit less mileage, maybe 30-40k, 54k is just a bit high imho for it to attract the best price going forward. If you weren't worried too much about investment, then the mileage would not be a problem, but for investment the lower the better.

Maybe £25k is a bit high for that car and mileage?

Also it would need a full inspection, to check for IMS, bore scoring and rear main seal etc, plus anything else major needed, radiators, suspension etc

• 2 months later...

I was lucky enough to make money on all my ford RS car's as the mqrket went mad.

But i did buy a mk1 focus RS, with just 5024 miles, that i kept for 2 years, never drove it and made £10k on it, only sold it to get the GT4 and would probably be worth £10k more now, well that now depends on what this world will be like once we come out off it, as he car prices are falling fast

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nail it said:

I was lucky enough to make money on all my ford RS car's as the mqrket went mad.

But i did buy a mk1 focus RS, with just 5024 miles, that i kept for 2 years, never drove it and made £10k on it, only sold it to get the GT4 and would probably be worth £10k more now, well that now depends on what this world will be like once we come out off it, as he car prices are falling fast

My main mechanic has a portfolio of approx 10 cars that total maybe £300k he's bought as investments. Wonder how he feels about those right now 

I've done nothing with my monies as yet (Glad i didn't buy a car....or lock it in anywhere for 5 years etc either) in current situation.

It's all very well surviving this. But the World is going to be a completely different place on the other side.....

• 6 months later...
  • Founder

As somebody who has spent their entire career working in finance and investment funds, I think classic and modern classic cars can be a very wise and tax efficient investment.  Not without costs associated with maintenance and storage though.  But still, a very good return can be had on ones capital.  

As a petrolhead, nothing saddens me more than seeing great cars being bought and locked away and not enjoyed for the one thing they were designed for.  Driving.  

I’m torn on the idea, but if ever somebody tells me they’re a petrolhead with classic cars locked away gathering dust and value, I simply don’t believe they’re a petrolhead at all.  

• Like 1