My CS PDK Basalt Black

jaketame

So I thought I would create a thread as I'm starting to do a few minor modifications, this is my first ever Porsche and/or performance car and/or any car I've modified so new to the whole thing. I brought Dec 2019 from Cridfords, I have a post inspection done by Precision Porsche to which nothing untoward. It needed an A/C topup and some faults clearing as was pumping out hot air.

First Wash: https://photos.app.goo.gl/q8EaNb94ZzK9Zh9B8

I've got a fair amount of detailing kit now and using a mixture of Stjarnagloss and Polished Pigs for the time being. I've managed to source the IPOD to 30pin adapter, a 30-pin to male lightening adapter and then a male to male extension cable so i've got my phone being used for audio and Satnav.

Polished + Stjarna working together: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2QeyzUDUkXtEZX7n8

So far modifications include;

- Carnewal GT Exhuast (Cayman R Exhaust)

Photos of work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ASTmvJMdMNRX1DaH9

Purchased CR exhaust and shipped to Gert. Was then returned to Precision Porsche for fitting. The brackets had to be cut off as were too rusty to unscrew, worked out cheaper than spending the time getting bolts out.

The sound on this car is now truly amazing!

- Interior LED Bulbs and Main, High, Fog, Side LED Bulbs

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1p5Fv3iYrqC1zpo9

- Front Mesh Radiator Grills

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFMDK92pTSqa5h1c8

Grills ordered via Radiator Grill Store

I had to be a bit inventive with hoover our some leaves/stones that made there way in

I would like to do and mostly likely in this order

- Side Intake Grills (In the garage, waiting for warmer weather)

- Stage 1+2 Detail + Ceramic coating (Aiming for spring)

- Plastidip Black Cayman S Emblem (I have the can, tested on cables that where white + silver. Will do once Ceramic is done)

- BMC Air Filter

- IPD Plenum + GT3 Throttle Body

- Respray Rear Calipers (Faded)

So I decided to give the Plastidip a go, no harm as quite easy to do.

Im not 100% happy with the results, up close you can see some slightly bubbling and not 100% smooth. 

I think a removal of badge and powered coat may be best route.

First 1-3 coats went on well however I think I put too much on the last 4th coat which caused the bubbling.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gTbmpTH3SsFAFPfL9

Don't think you can powder coat a plastic badge, only metal.

I think there are some black ones for sale on eBay, Syer on here has one on his car. They are a bit smaller I think.

9 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Don't think you can powder coat a plastic badge, only metal.

I think there are some black ones for sale on eBay, Syer on here has one on his car. They are a bit smaller I think.

I do yes Rich. I do know you can get them in a variety of sizes - although mine is smaller than the standard offering. They are also available in Matt/Satin and Gloss Black I’m sure.

Gave about £40 for mine (Official Porsche product) from eBay and wasn’t worth my time messing around painting.

Which: unless you remove badges, prep (key) them; and then undercoat, paint and lacquer to finish - will never be a great or long lasting job imo. Can be done at home via rattle cans for sure. But will take a bit of time.  

*** Plastidip by nature is meant to be easily removeable isn’t it.....? If your a detailing / washing freak like me I’m not sure what the life expectancy would be ?

Good luck @jaketame !

5 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

I do yes Rich. I do know you can get them in a variety of sizes - although mine is smaller than the standard offering. They are also available in Matt/Satin and Gloss Black I’m sure.

Gave about £40 for mine (Official Porsche product) from eBay and wasn’t worth my time messing around painting.

Which: unless you remove badges, prep (key) them; and then undercoat, paint and lacquer to finish - will never be a great or long lasting job imo. Can be done at home via rattle cans for sure. But will take a bit of time.  

*** Plastidip by nature is meant to be easily removeable isn’t it.....? If your a detailing / washing freak like me I’m not sure what the life expectancy would be ?

Good luck @jaketame !

Thanks, I could find anything online for a decent price.

I made contact with a local powder coating company and they recommend 2Pk Wet Paint. Which they said would cost £50... Highly tempted

How do I measure up correctly to ensure what I place it back in the same place to look correct. Do I just leave the residue on and restick over the top?

4 minutes ago, jaketame said:

Thanks, I could find anything online for a decent price.

I made contact with a local powder coating company and they recommend 2Pk Wet Paint. Which they said would cost £50... Highly tempted

How do I measure up correctly to ensure what I place it back in the same place to look correct. Do I just leave the residue on and restick over the top?

I measured the position of mine (approx to with in a couple of mm) before removal. And noted !

Then i removed the original badge (Plastic interior trim removal tool used gently; or better still fishing line to 'cut' through the foam adhesive backer 😎)....then cleaned up residue and polished the boot.

Then i used making tape directly UNDER where the badge will end up being positioned, squaring it off left to right absolutely horizontally; and marking either the mid-point of the badge on the tape; or better-still where the ends of the badge will end up left and right on the masking tape.

Then 'just' remove backing of the self adhesive rear of the badge, position in place: parallel with and above the masking tape and hope to hell all your measurements were correct 🤣

Remove masking tape. Stand back and admire new badging.......👌

• 2 months later...
On 19/02/2020 at 17:34, sevenfourate said:

I measured the position of mine (approx to with in a couple of mm) before removal. And noted !

Then i removed the original badge (Plastic interior trim removal tool used gently; or better still fishing line to 'cut' through the foam adhesive backer 😎)....then cleaned up residue and polished the boot.

Then i used making tape directly UNDER where the badge will end up being positioned, squaring it off left to right absolutely horizontally; and marking either the mid-point of the badge on the tape; or better-still where the ends of the badge will end up left and right on the masking tape.

Then 'just' remove backing of the self adhesive rear of the badge, position in place: parallel with and above the masking tape and hope to hell all your measurements were correct 🤣

Remove masking tape. Stand back and admire new badging.......👌

I’m not the best at keeping this updated. I’m also not handy with a spanner so not many updates! There are a few things I’d like to do still...

I wasn’t happy with the Plastidip so decided to debadge! Now that I’ve done that I’m quite fond of it! Porsche shop have black decals if I want to stick something back on but for now it’s staying like this!

IMG_1364.jpeg?o=AlT0LIG0WwDXy78-8tZMwf2R

The lines look really clean! 

IMG_1362.JPG?o=AqeazOS97Iw9V0ODG5V1FRoKR

I’m also super busy with kids and working from home. I seem to have back to back meetings daily at the moment and then weekends are spent with the kids trying to entertain during these times while keeping the Mrs happy too so not much time for detailing.

Ive brought into nowrevive.co.uk detailing products! I had the samples and they where brilliant! The car really needs a paint correction and I will mostly like get a ceramic coating.

354D052C-4260-4988-AB52-4664F7A7608E.jpg

I will keep you posted on a full detail when I can find 3 hours to hide outside on my own using these products

My neighbour and friend also started his tinting business last year. While the car wasn’t being driven I decided to get it round to him. The reasons are that due to using my phone for SatNav linked via the iPod connector to get audio I had found there was glare from the rear window which was massively distracting so it was time to get the rears tinted. End result looks epic I feel!

59928494-AE24-4144-AEF7-D67747C955B6-858

Each to there own but I couldn’t find many posts with it done so it was hard to see if it would look good. I think it brings the lines together more! Basalt Black looks even more so now!

Checkout his Insta/FB for more pics and video walk around.

https://instagram.com/gorillakustoms

Next Up;

Side Grills Vents both sides including the CAD design internal mesh (I ordered beginning of the month so missed the group buy)

I’m also on the hunt for Sport Design Wheel with Paddles. I just not getting on with the push buttons!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaketame said:

So i fitted the mesh grill from CADPorsche and some normal mesh on the grills themselves.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

After a short spirited drive to collect a takeaway... my verdict is that it didn’t feel any different however I found there was more of a deeper tone over 4K RPM and when at lower speed dropping gears I found it gurgles more than before.

A reminder that I’m in a 987.2 CS with Carnewal GT R Exhaust.

• Like 1

I’ve never managed to get a video / sound of the exhaust!

This is the Carnewal GT R Exhaust! I brought CR exhaust and sent it to Gert! Not bad for around £500.

https://gfycat.com/jadedsameblackwidowspider

<iframe src='https://gfycat.com/ifr/JadedSameBlackwidowspider' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='100%' height='100%' style='position:absolute;top:0;left:0;' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by jaketame
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I installed the Sprint Booster v3 today, I must say... Wow. What a difference it has made to throttle lag. I've left it on Sport 5, I found Race far to twitchy for the road. If i ever track it then I will surely use Race 5.