Cayman S Geo Setting - H&R -35mm springs 7/15 spacers

I've been quoted £140 from my indi for geo done on a supertracker STR410 computer 4 wheel gizmo :35_thinking:

Edited by Mavrik

Well... Got my CS geo aligned... The place I use now has a recent Hunter set up.

As expected my alignment was all over the show 😆

I had decided to elongate the factory top mount slots 😉 to allow as much -ve camber as possible.

Ended up with:

FRONT... Camber = -1*45' L &  -1*42' R ... Toe In = 0*02' L & 0*01' R

REAR:... Camber = -2*00' L & -2*10' R

Toe In = 0*07' L & 0*08' R

Went for a quick one up the bypass (150) & felt ok but on the way home I picked up a mahoosive screw/nail in my rear Yoko... 😳😈 ... Fookin sods law ffs!!

Anyways... Stance is much improved 😃

20200530_204108_1590874931712g.jpg

Edited by Mavrik

When you elongated the slots for the top mounts how did you ensure you kept the slots straight? 

I mean that if you made the slot slightly 'curved' wouldn't it alter the castor 🤔

What tool did you use to do the job? 

Car looks great by the way 👍

2 hours ago, Tozerman said:

When you elongated the slots for the top mounts how did you ensure you kept the slots straight? 

I mean that if you made the slot slightly 'curved' wouldn't it alter the castor 🤔

What tool did you use to do the job? 

Car looks great by the way 👍

--------------------------------

Several ways to do it (plenty of discussions etc on other forums) however I scribed a line that was equal (used my verniers to measure) & used an engineers file up to the scribed line... Not as ghetto as it sounds :35_thinking: Well... yes... is rather ghetto but has worked a treat (much of the reason the install took me best part of 2 days instead of 1)... Castor was well within tolerance :1_grinning: ... Still not enough -ve though... Seems max you can get on the front is roughly around -1*50' unless you shell out for motorsport camber plates or LCA's.

Just need to keep an eye now for tyre wear 😳

Edited by Mavrik

Really would've liked the front camber to be a bit more as the rear automatically kicks in with more -ve when lowering... The tech said it's always a compromise too when adjusting camber vs toe as one invariably alters the other 😵.

Porsche engineer a fair bit of understeer to their road cars (for safety I guess?) which is why a lot of folk like to run more front camber...

Had mine setup at Fearnsport Silverstone, maxed the front camber setting without charging or modifying the top mounts (which I appreciated is limited). Got the same rear camber as you and added some rear toe.  Certainly makes the turn in sharper, as you say by getting rid of the Porsche engineered understeer.  Just need to decide if I upgrade more parts to make it more track focused..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, C9YMAN said:

@Mavrik

How's the ride on normal roads with the H&Rs on stock dampers?

-----------------------------------------------

A bit harsher but not really a lot tbf... 

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd update after my initial post some 18 months ago...

I ended up ditching the front 7mm spacers as they induced noticeable wheel wobble/imbalance... I even replaced with smaller 3mm (both supposedly hubcentric) and still some imbalance but less... No spacers on the front now and imbalance completely gone!! ... Kept the 15mm rear spacers though.

I've now realised my geo settings were too aggressive for road use as all 4 tyres have worn noticeably on the inside edges due to the aggressive camber! ... 

I'm running Yokohama AD08R crossover road/track tyres and at near £800 a set I'm a bit peeved lol.

Gonna get my geo readjusted to less aggressive camber when I fit my new tyres (only managed 8k miles on them?! 🙄)

Can you upload a photo of the wear? When I had mine setup at CG they suggested (and I may have misunderstood) that shoulder wear was more due to the toe settings whereas camber wear was more of a tapering across the entire width. 

Mine wore really quickly when I had loads of toe out (not by choice) but have been fine since having it setup properly