Short Shifters

Hi, The only thing I do not like about the 987.1 is the sloppy gear shift. Has anyone fitted the Porsche Short Shifter or the DT Short Shifter kit to their 987.1 and if so how good are they and is it actually worth doing this modification ?

Hi there,

Worth doing the shifter alignment first using the green alignment bracket. Over time the alignment can move out.

This video shows the proceedure:

£11.95 on eBay, might be cheaper if you search around a bit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192892873334

After that I would look at changing the shifter cables as they wear, costs around £350 from Porsche or £400 for Numeric racing ones.

Then conside a short shifter, Porsche or Numeric racing.

14 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I’ve got a Porsche OE short shifter in the garage ready to fit when I get my Centre console back from the paint shop to install too. 

the short shift kit comes with the green alignment tool. The alignment tool is about £3.50 from a Porsche dealership if you have an OPC near to you. 

when I’m back home this week I’ll post the part number for both the SSK and the alignment tool from my invoice. 

Are there different part numbers for 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox?

On 15/06/2020 at 15:23, GlosRich said:

Hi there,

Worth doing the shifter alignment first using the green alignment bracket. Over time the alignment can move out.

This video shows the proceedure:

£11.95 on eBay, might be cheaper if you search around a bit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192892873334

After that I would look at changing the shifter cables as they wear, costs around £350 from Porsche or £400 for Numeric racing ones.

Then conside a short shifter, Porsche or Numeric racing.

6 minutes ago, Cerdito said:

On 15/06/2020 at 18:20, Windymiller said:

I’ve got a Porsche OE short shifter in the garage ready to fit when I get my Centre console back from the paint shop to install too. 

the short shift kit comes with the green alignment tool. The alignment tool is about £3.50 from a Porsche dealership if you have an OPC near to you. 

when I’m back home this week I’ll post the part number for both the SSK and the alignment tool from my invoice. 

Edited by Cerdito

Short shift (987.2 6spd) part no: P99742498300 £237.49 + VAT

Aligment tool part no:

P00072196191 £2.30 + VAT 

If you’re a member of the PCGB you can get a 10% discount off all dealership parts prices. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2020 at 09:11, GlosRich said:

Are there different part numbers for 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox?

I would expect that the gearboxes have different prt numbers yes. 

I would also expect the shifters to have different part numbers too. 

I don’t know about the alignment tool, but it’s purpose is simply to hold the stick central in the gate - I presume ‘centre is centre’ irrespective of the gate pattern 🤔🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted the OE short shifter last week. I’ve only done a country rods drive with it so far (on track in a couple of weeks), but I definitely prefer the shorter throw, and more ‘rifle bolt’ action of the actual shift. 

I expect other factors like cable friction and tightness / looseness of other linkages at the gearbox end also make a difference, but having driven a friends 987.1 5spd normal shifter back to back with my new short shift on Sunday we both agreed short shift is the way to go 😉👍🏻

Also, once you’ve removed the centre console, actually swapping the shift assemblies over was all of 4 nuts and 10 minutes to do (with the green alignment tool) 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 01/07/2020 at 15:03, Windymiller said:

I fitted the OE short shifter last week. I’ve only done a country rods drive with it so far (on track in a couple of weeks), but I definitely prefer the shorter throw, and more ‘rifle bolt’ action of the actual shift. 

I expect other factors like cable friction and tightness / looseness of other linkages at the gearbox end also make a difference, but having driven a friends 987.1 5spd normal shifter back to back with my new short shift on Sunday we both agreed short shift is the way to go 😉👍🏻

Also, once you’ve removed the centre console, actually swapping the shift assemblies over was all of 4 nuts and 10 minutes to do (with the green alignment tool) 👍🏻

@WindymillerSorry to dig up this old thread but are you still happy with your choice ~18 months on? I'm thinking of retrofitting the short shifter as I'm just not finding the shifting a very engaging experience.

Edited by Ginginho

12 hours ago, Ginginho said:

@WindymillerSorry to dig up this old thread but are you still happy with your choice ~18 months on? I'm thinking of retrofitting the short shifter as I'm just not finding the shifting a very engaging experience.

Absolutely - it makes the shift feel like a race car!

to coin a cliched phrase, if you’ve ever operated a bolt-action rifle it feels

just like that. Ie it’s a short, precise, ‘clickety-clack’ movement. No slop in the mechanism. Also makes for a quicker shift on track as it’s literally a shorter range of movement to make. 

a further observation, which I have since become accustomed to, is that the lever throw seemed ‘stiffer’, but again I expect this is because the lever being shorter literally provides less leverage on the shift cables. 

would I buy again? Absolutely yes. 👍🏻

im in bucks if you’re close by and want  to ‘feel my stick’! 😮🤭😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Windymiller said:

👍🏻im in bucks if you’re close by and want  to ‘feel my stick’! 😮🤭😉

Thanks for the offer; although your a little far away! I think I'll book it in, it's going to take a while before it can be done anyway 👍