Cayman S 987.2 vs Z4M Coupe

Hey all, Just curious to see anyone on here who has previously owned a Z4M Coupe and also a Cayman S, or vice versa?

Which did you prefer? Do wish you could go back to the other car? Why did you change in the first place? Whats more fun as a daily driver?

Whats more fun to tour europe in? And which cost you more in terms servicing, reliability, and fuel etc?

Currently own a Z4 3.0 Coupe, looking to go for a Cayman S or Z4M Coupe next. Torn between the two.

Hi,

I've owned a 3.0 Coupe' too (mind you not the Z4M) and currently own a 987.2 S.  

The issue with the Z4 is the chassis, it barely could handle the 265 CV neve mind the 343 of the M version. I'm sure they've touched up the suspensions on the M, but that overall feeling is the Cayman is a way more agile, confidence inspiring and has way more grip/better handling!  

Probably in terms of sideways/fun the Z4 is more prone to it so depends what you are after...precision or sliding around. You can put the Cayman's front wheels exactly where you want, the Z4 by nature (front engine) hasn't this ability! 

As daily driver they are both equally fun! The Z4 more practical although I would say harder to get in and out (weird I know!) 

I think luggage space is pretty much the same considering the Cayman has both frunk and rear trunk. 

If I was you I'd go Cayman, overall is a superior car if you ask me, and let's face it....you currently have a Z4....a change won't harm you! Maybe try both of course and let us know how it went! 

Cheers

Good advice from Andrea.

I find the ride in my Cayman quite firm, and it doesnt have PASM, so I cant adjust it without changing shocks.

I think a road trip might be fairly tiring in the Cayman, due to the ride.

A Cayman with PASM is probably a lot better, I must try and drive one sometime....

22 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Good advice from Andrea.

I find the ride in my Cayman quite firm, and it doesnt have PASM, so I cant adjust it without changing shocks.

I think a road trip might be fairly tiring in the Cayman, due to the ride.

A Cayman with PASM is probably a lot better, I must try and drive one sometime....

I love my PASM! For a daily driver it's great, you can push with PASM enabled but switching PASM off truly stiffens the car up and much more glued to the tarmac!

• Like 1

Thanks Andrea.

yeh I’m kinda looking for best of both worlds... I have a feeling the cayman would be a lot more enjoyable to live with day to day, be more reliable, and easier on the pocket slightly. I e also never owned anything mid engined before and love the front light clusters (like a baby carrera GT).

but the opposing side for me is, and what a lot of Z4M owners say, is the M has way more character even if it might not be the perfect driving machine.

i think financially, it’s a slightly easier entry point to the z4m but may cost more in long run, versus slightly more to buy a 987.2 with cheaper running cost (fuel/tax) and probably better reliability engine wise.

its a tough one... but would be nice to own something totally different too...