Remap after New Headers

Andyoz

Just getting stuff in order for fitting the headers to my Cayman R next month ready for spring (secondhand Soul Performance Catless).

Having been out of the car scene since the 90's, I find the whole 'remap' scene a bit of mystery.  From what I can tell, if the car was stock it would be more straightforward as there are various 'maps' available to the tuners.  But what happens when your car is modified and how do you trust them to do it right?

Are they taking the standard map and tweaking it on a dyno?  I am in NI and there are some pretty serious tuners here that I have access too (race stuff) but that might be OTT for what I actually want.

Is it a case of a tuner getting a generic map from the someone in the USA, loading it here in the UK and health checked on the dyno after.  Is that all that's normally done?

I'm based in NI so can't just go to one of the English Indies that have been down this route before.  Also, we don't have 98 ron here, only 97 (don't know why) so that's another variable.  Any tips appreciated.

Firstly... Soul Performance headers are actually made in Taiwan by Liang Fei... They (Soul) just tart them up and rebrand them (exactly the same as Topgear & Designtek etc headers!!)

Depends on the tuner tbh  but generally start with a standard map and tweek to suit?

Does Tesco in NI not supply 99 Momentum or no Shell garages?

What's your plan for passing emissions on the MOT? ... Reverting back to standard or 200cel sport catted manifolds sounds like a ball ache lol

Edited by Mavrik

Yes, I know they are made by Liang Lei and it's why I only paid half the new price.  They seem decent enough though I have to say.

No one in NI supplies 98+ Ron here and if someone did we'd soon know about it via the car forums here.  It's even worse down in Republic of Ireland as they only get 95 Ron.

Re. the MOT...mines due in March so will bring it forward a bit and get it all fitted once that's through.  I'd say after a year I'll be sick of catless headers anyway and be looking at 200 cell ones if something nice comes up used.  FVD or Cargraphic would be nice...

Edited by Andyoz
  • Like 1

The map for decat and sports cats will not be the same, so you would have to factor in having the map tweaked, too.

You will get a CEL without cats.  Another thing to bear in mind (decent mapper can turn this off).

Personally, I see a lot of effort in fitting decat manifolds and then swapping to ones with sports cats less than a year later... Just do it later but once?

If nothing comes up secondhand then you also have the issue that, if you don't know a "friendly" MOT tester, you have to revert to stock.

43 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

Firstly... Soul Performance headers are actually made in Taiwan by Liang Fei... They (Soul) just tart them up and rebrand them (exactly the same as Topgear & Designtek etc headers!!)

Liang Fei acts as manufacturer.  It means they are the "production line" of parts.  The difference is in the quality of cats and valves then the various company as Soul and TopGear ask for.  Just because something looks the same doesn't mean is the same.

Alsop exhaust aren't rocket science, at the end of the day if 100 companies try to do equal length manifolds for a 987 they will all look the same because there isn't much to play with. 

Not to mention different customer services, which you pay for....

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

The map for decat and sports cats will not be the same, so you would have to factor in having the map tweaked, too.

You will get a CEL without cats.  Another thing to bear in mind (decent mapper can turn this off).

Personally, I see a lot of effort in fitting decat manifolds and then swapping to ones with sports cats less than a year later... Just do it later but once?

If nothing comes up secondhand then you also have the issue that, if you don't know a "friendly" MOT tester, you have to revert to stock.

Yes, I know what you mean but I do want to try the all out decat solution first.  It's all part of the adventure.

Findling a friendly MOT one isn't too hard here still but I'll probably be ready to either go back to stock or move to cat headers by then.

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

Liang Fei acts as manufacturer.  It means they are the "production line" of parts.  The difference is in the quality of cats and valves then the various company as Soul and TopGear ask for.  Just because something looks the same doesn't mean is the same.

Alsop exhaust aren't rocket science, at the end of the day if 100 companies try to do equal length manifolds for a 987 they will all look the same because there isn't much to play with. 

Not to mention different customer services, which you pay for....

Yes, I've even heard the gauge of steel used for the various brands is different.  They feel tidy anyway. 

BTW lads...I bought them off @Andrea !!

• Haha 1