Oil Sensor all over the place

Hey everyone! The paranoia begins on day two with my new 987.1. CS.
I’ve been checking my oil before every drive, and let’s just say I hope it’s reading all wrong. It read first bar down after the first night and I took it pretty easy. Weird... When I got home and checked later on it read half. Freaked me out so I went to bed and waited to check until the morn. Woke up, checked it cold and it was back to just the top sliver missing. Checked today after work and it’s at about 1/2. So. Faulty sensor? Could I rule out scoring/IMS? 
I just bought it from a third party dealer. 67k miles and the guy said the oil was just done. No other warnings coming up on the computer.. Love the car. Let me know what you think! Cheers

• Founder

If the engine is actually losing that much oil then it should be obvious either by a leak underneath or through burning it.  Have you noticed much smoke from the exhaust after the initial puff at start up?

Obvious question perhaps but are you checking the oil when the car is perfectly level? 

It could be the dealer didn’t quite fill the oil up, often the case as it’s better to under fill than over fill.  There is only 1.2 litres difference between the bottom of the gauge and the full mark, so by the sound of your readings is not a lot out anyway in reality.  

try topping up with a small amount, re-checking on level ground and see how it goes.  If it continues to drop then you might need to get it checked out.  But, don’t panic just yet! 

Welcome, by the way 👍🏻

Hey man thanks for the response! I’ll try adding a bit and seeing what happens. No leaks and I’m checking it somewhat* on flat ground. Clean start up w no smoke. 
exited to be apart of the community 🤙🏻

This morning was consistent. It read 1 quarter down which was the same as last night.. hoping that’s the incorrect read as I’ve only put 600 miles or so on the car. We shall see boys. Still no Smokey starts no leaks to my knowledge - fingers crossed my bores are in shape.

Hi, if it is just one bar from full (ie. 1 bar down from the line) I really wouldn't start panicking. Get a baseline reading, drive it 1000 miles and see i if it changes. If it doesn't then you're all good

• Like 1

Some of these cars can use oil and still have fine bores.  Keep a track of the usage is the key and any major change in usage is important.

• Like 1

As said, don't sweat oil usage. Check it every now and again, always in the same position (level if at all possible) and always when completely cold. If it really is dropping then think about having it looked at .... or just top it up more often. 

Pretty much all 987 owners have been where you are at the moment and we can all remember the feeling! 😁

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies!! It’s still jumping up and down like crazy. I think it’s okay. The fact that it goes up after reading low on cold i think is okay? It’s not like we check the dipstick every day on other cars