Cayman R paperwork of past work

Hi

You have all been so great in giving and advice and information about my R. 

I wondered if I was to share snapshots of the paperwork that came with it, as to if anything jumps out as being interesting. If its a bore, no worries!

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 15.22.51.jpg

Edited by Julian987

Well it's been remapped and has a load of bits bolted onto the engine/exhaust/brakes.

Based on the invoices, you have an aftermarket exhaust, a larger throttle body and plenum (a bit of a controversial mod depending on who you speak to), braided hoses, and a BMC air filter. Looks like this lot netted you ~20bhp... now you just need to drive it past 4k RPM to feel it.

Just as an FYI, you probably ought to tell your insurers that your car is modified. Some people say not to bother but for the added cost it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Edited by Lennym1984

17 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Well it's been remapped and has a load of bits bolted onto the engine/exhaust/brakes.

Based on the invoices, you have an aftermarket exhaust, a larger throttle body and plenum (a bit of a controversial mod depending on who you speak to), braided hoses, and a BMC air filter. Looks like this lot netted you ~20bhp... now you just need to drive it past 4k RPM to feel it.

Just as an FYI, you probably ought to tell your insurers that your car is modified. Some people say not to bother but for the added cost it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Thank you for your review!

When i took it in for a 111 inspection Porsche really frowned on the braided hoses, but then after purchase I took it to AutoFarm and they said the braided hoses were a really good upgrade and couldn't find any fault with the car.

yep aware on the aftermarket exhaust, as per another thread I rebooted on this forum, I may look to reinstate the official PSE R exhaust in time. 

I had informed Insurance on modifications (albeit not really knowing the ins/outs of them), but thank you for raising. 

Why is a plenum a controversial mod may i ask.

thanks

J

Edited by Julian987

Just now, Julian987 said:

Thank you for your review!

When i took it in for a 111 inspection Porsche really frowned on the braided hoses, but then after purchase I took it to AutoFarm and they said the braided hoses were a really good upgrade and couldn't find any fault with the car.

yep aware on the aftermarket exhaust, as per another thread I rebooted on this forum, I may look to reinstate the official PSE R exhaust in time. 

I had informed Insurance on modifications (albeit not really knowing the ins/outs of them), but thank you for raising. 

Why is a plenum a controversial mod may i ask.

thanks

J

Everybody has an opinion on braided hoses... The issue is that they can hide damage and so without regular maintenance (checking) can be more dangerous than rubber hoses. As such, few if any OEMs will fit them. That said, my sister-in-law has them on her 991 cup car (I think they came from the factory like that) and has not had any issues (albeit that is track only).

Oh and if Autofarm like them, I'd happily follow their advice.

In terms of the Plenum, some tuners reckon that they rob the car of power, some like them, some have no opinion, some think that there are better ways to spend a £1K. If you search for IPD Plenum on Google, you'll see all of the arguments for and against. If the car runs well, I'd leave it on and see it as a bonus!

Edited by Lennym1984

Just now, Julian987 said:

PS very interesting to see its gained 20BHP, not that I'll ever get to those giddy heights of speed!

The 20hp gain is right at the top end but it looks as though they have added power throughout the rev range. Regal have a good reputation.

Did the previous owner do track days? Braided hoses are pretty popular with track day enthuasiasts (I haven't bothered but that is purely because I am too lazy and don't want to lose the expensive brake fluid that is currently in the car).

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

37266BDB-0184-4FED-8AF3-0081D10F0AA6.jpg

This is very reflective of the printout I had for the same mods (minus the exhaust).  But mine was ~20 WHP - no idea on flywheel figures.

That's a solid gain throughout the whole powerband so wins all around for you. The main thing for me with doing those mods was that it clears the flat spot in the mid range which I absolutely despised.  You may never have experienced this if you haven't driven another CS/CR.

Some exhaust manifolds would get you another 15-20 gain, but your map may need to be modified for them.

You have all of the right bolt-ons for the "OEM+" experience and never allow anyone to make you question it.

Yeah, I was surprised what a map did on it's own for the mid range.  The headers then took that to another level.  The midrange is important as you're not always screwing it above 5k through corners and that added mid range torque allows me to drive on the throttle through corners.

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Everybody has an opinion on braided hoses... The issue is that they can hide damage and so without regular maintenance (checking) can be more dangerous than rubber hoses. As such, few if any OEMs will fit them. That said, my sister-in-law has them on her 991 cup car (I think they came from the factory like that) and has not had any issues (albeit that is track only).

Oh and if Autofarm like them, I'd happily follow their advice.

In terms of the Plenum, some tuners reckon that they rob the car of power, some like them, some have no opinion, some think that there are better ways to spend a £1K. If you search for IPD Plenum on Google, you'll see all of the arguments for and against. If the car runs well, I'd leave it on and see it as a bonus!

Sorry Lenny, I missed this when I read through earlier.

In every example I've seen (with real data and my own), the plenum and TB combo gives gains.  I've seen a lot of comments on the arse dyno and its feel, or "I raced a <car> and it was slower than before." I've never seen a printout with a before/after showing a loss on the respective plenum and TB combos available.

Now, that isn't to say that I dispute the claims as there's usually some validity in what people say, but I suspect these are instances where the complimentary/necessary remap hasn't been added on for the full potential to be realised.  It's quite a significant component to change and I think it's greatly underestimated just how much the stock and aftermarket options differ.

I've had the IPD comp and 82mm TB on my car for 4 years now and I would never seek to remove them.  Would I do it again?  Absolutely, but I would've definitely done the exhaust in tandem for the extra theatrics.  However, I just wasn't content with swapping out a perfectly good exhaust (until it failed, of course!).

IPD comp plenum

82mm TB

200 cell manifolds

Remap

GT3 brake master cylinder

The above mods really do complement the original car and its ethos in every way; more power, better driving characteristics and a more track friendly orientation.  Any other mods are just overkill, in my opinion.  That's exactly how to make the perfect CR.

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Sorry Lenny, I missed this when I read through earlier.

In every example I've seen (with real data and my own), the plenum and TB combo gives gains.  I've seen a lot of comments on the arse dyno and its feel, or "I raced a <car> and it was slower than before." I've never seen a printout with a before/after showing a loss on the respective plenum and TB combos available.

Now, that isn't to say that I dispute the claims as there's usually some validity in what people say, but I suspect these are instances where the complimentary/necessary remap hasn't been added on for the full potential to be realised.  It's quite a significant component to change and I think it's greatly underestimated just how much the stock and aftermarket options differ.

Yeah, personally I don't really have any opinion on it - if the car runs well (and somebody else has paid for it) I'd say that it was a bit of a bonus.

3 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Did the previous owner do track days? Braided hoses are pretty popular with track day enthuasiasts (I haven't bothered but that is purely because I am too lazy and don't want to lose the expensive brake fluid that is currently in the car).

I believe he did yes. Quite where in Jersey who knows?!  He might have taken it on the ferry across to the mainland. It was wrapped Blue, which helped protect the original black paint. Not that I assume one easily gets stone chips from track days, but then again?

Do you think that, what with these mods, that if I got the PSE R exhaust fitted (info on the other thread) the mods would interplay well with it, or ?

23 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I believe he did yes. Quite where in Jersey who knows?!  He might have taken it on the ferry across to the mainland. It was wrapped Blue, which helped protect the original black paint. Not that I assume one easily gets stone chips from track days, but then again?

Stonechips are quite common on trackdays so the wrap was probably a really smart idea. Do you have any photos of it with the wrap? Sounds like you've picked up a great cat with some choice (and very expensive) mods

38 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Stonechips are quite common on trackdays so the wrap was probably a really smart idea. Do you have any photos of it with the wrap? Sounds like you've picked up a great cat with some choice (and very expensive) mods

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it from its track days in Jersey whilst wrapped. I did contact the original dealership on the island (a kind of authorised dealer of Porsche, rather than a Porsche centre as such) and he said he would send me some pics he had and the original sales docs etc...as he was close to the cars owner during its time on the island until I became the 2nd owner. But then Covid became breaking news and he probably got caught up in the chaos of that... so you have reminded me to go back to him to ask. If I get any i'll share them here.

Good to know the mods are choice mods. 

Thanks again!