Brake pad pins...

Aaron

9 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I've found with jobs like that it's best to just leave the penetrating fluid on and sleep on it :)

Try Plus Gas instead of WD40.

If all else fails, cut the pin either side of the pad clamp with a Dremel so you're only punching out one pin/hole interface instead of two in series

I had already soaked everything the night before, but the front brakes haven't been touched in about 5 years.  Never tried PG, but have heard of it.  Will take a look.

I did default to the idea of cutting the pin out but I had nothing that could squeeze in the gap... Too risky to do it with my angle grinder.  I obviously need to invest in a Dremel!

With everything as is, I've decided to pick up some braided hoses.  Already cracked the fittings so I know those will cooperate.

I replaced my rear pads on Saturday, second set I’ve fitted myself now (and did the front discs & pads last year also - posted last July about the PITA getting the disc retaining screws out proved to be back then… 🙄🤬🥵) - a question, I can’t find the rear pad retaining kits (ie the ‘W’ shape spring, the retaining-pin and the retaining-pin ‘circlip’) anywhere cheaply. D911 wants ~£40+VAT+P&P for it, whereas the front set is readily available on ECP & CP4L for <£20. 

are you guys getting rear retaining kits cheap from anywhere?

I think I’m right in recalling the rear W-spring clamp is longer and narrower than the front, and the rear retaining-pin is shorter than the front one - so not interchangeable unfortunately. 

Edited by Windymiller
Typos…

My rears were changed a few years ago, but I also can't see a cheaper version than the Design 911 options.  It does seem to be a hole in the supply chain there...

The circlip is a cotter pin - I have a spare pile of them as they are bastards for disappearing! :D

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

The circlip is a cotter pin - I have a spare pile of them as they are bastards for disappearing! :D

Ah-ha, yes that’s the word (I knew it wasnt a circlip, but couldn’t think of the word - thanks 👍🏻). 

These pesky blighters:

https://www.boatfittings.co.uk/mobile/p/r_clips_beta_pins_in_316_stainless_steel_a4_marine_grade

ive tried to research if the fitting kit for the rears is common to another car as the brembo calipers must be used on something else in the VASS group… 🤷‍♂️

But can’t find anything of the like. 🙄

Edited by Windymiller
More typos… 🙄

19 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Ah-ha, yes that’s the word (I knew it wasnt a circlip, but couldn’t think of the word - thanks 👍🏻). 

These pesky blighters:

https://www.boatfittings.co.uk/mobile/p/r_clips_beta_pins_in_316_stainless_steel_a4_marine_grade

ive tried to research if the fitting kit for the rears is common to another car as the brembo calipers must be used on something else in the VASS group… 🤷‍♂️

But can’t find anything of the like. 🙄

I have always called the R clips. 'Cos they are R shaped...

1 hour ago, jdavis8361 said:

Safety wire is your friend.

jD

Picture 011.jpg

Now that is a beautiful bit of wire-locking right there.  

not seen anything that good since I was last up the ‘back hatch’ of a Mk8 Lynx helicopter re-attaching and securing the electrical plugs onto the port and starboard flotation aid bottles…. 

(and that was a looooooooong time ago… 😉)

But it’s not the cotter pin / R-clip that’s the problem to find. It’s the actual ‘W’ shape pad-retaining spring-clamp and the main securing ‘pin’ as per the OPs photo that are difficult / impossible to find at a sensible price. 🤷‍♂️

I ordered replacement pins and springs from Heritage on Sunday, but they were taking an extremely long time to get here.  I went to ECP today and picked up the Pagid set so that I could finish the job tomorrow; of course the ones from Heritage were here by the time I got back... Typical.

Nonetheless, I have put the two kits side-by-side and the one from Heritage is much higher quality and looks idential to the original that has come off the car.  The metal on the Pagid isn't as thick, nor is there any sort of coating on the pin to prevent corrosion.  The cost difference is £15 versus £22 and I would always pay the £22 instead as you'll thank yourself when you don't have to change them again the second time around.

I have rears from ECP and they don’t fit!  All the reasons above - the ‘W’ clamp is too short and the securing pin is a different length. What prt no are yours? 

The ‘rears’ I got are actually the same as the front set, despite indicating rear fitment on the package. Have you fitted yours yet?

Also the rears on heritage are £48, not £22 🤔

These ones for the 987.2:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/99635295901-brake-pad-fitting-kit.html

Edited by Windymiller
Linky & typo

Ah-ha, my misunderstanding. Yep fronts are easy to come by, but good to know the heritage parts ones are better quality than those from ECP 👍🏻😀

Back to the quest for sensibly priced rear pad retaining sets… 🙄😉

The Pagid ones don't have a notch in them for the front of the caliper.  I imagine it would be a right pain to get it into the hole after it's gone through the two pads and is pinning down the spring.  The stock/IRO ones have the notch so it slides itself in as you keep tapping it.

I've finished the job today (even went back around and did the Goodridge hoses) and holy cow the pedal feels better already.  Need to bed the pads into the discs but the DS1.11 get a huge thumbs up from me.  There is a horrific squeal at extremely low speeds; I'm going to continue to monitor it (may get better as it beds in) and report back.  Gonna price up some new shims if it doesn't improve.  It's not a casual squeak, it's an ear shattering one!

Side note on the Goodridge hoses: they only use 1 of the 3 fastening/sealing mechanisms.  There is the threaded fitting that screws into the hose; the O ring that clamps between the screw and the edge of the hose fitting; the sort of forked retaining arms that pinch the edge of the hose.  The Goodridge hoses only use the first mechanism.  The hoses did go tight and refused to move, but it's info for those to make a decision.  I have kept my stock ones in a box, just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this: the pads still squeal like a bat out of hell.  New stockers are going back in and will swap to the 1.11 for track days.  The cold bite is fantastic, the braking performance is exceptional, but they are just too squeaky for non-track driving.

I’ve found brembo hp2000 sport pads to be a good road to track option. 

No fade and good longevity on track (but I’m not a heavy braker), good cold bite and no squeal on road. 

a little dustier than the stock textar - but not an issue of you’re washing the car regularly. 

I've had a long term apprehension against Brembo... Not sure if I can break that.  Will check pricing though.

I like to drive at 100% when I'm on track and fast road pads generally don't cut it (thus the 1.11).  I'm looking at the DS2500 as they are a straight swap with minimal bedding needed on the 1.11 and vice versa.

Failing that, the stock Textar are fine on the road for me.

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I've had a long term apprehension against Brembo... Not sure if I can break that.  Will check pricing though.

I like to drive at 100% when I'm on track and fast road pads generally don't cut it (thus the 1.11).  I'm looking at the DS2500 as they are a straight swap with minimal bedding needed on the 1.11 and vice versa.

Failing that, the stock Textar are fine on the road for me.

Try the DS3000 pads. If you look at the ferodo comparison graph info ( https://www.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads/ ) they have a much better heat range. They work when stongingly hot - my wheel centre caps melted. They were copies, but even so.. :)