18" Road legal track tyres

Lennym1984

Having just destroyed a brand new (run in but still new) Potenza Sport tyre at Anglesey, I think the time has come for me to get a second set of wheels. 

The problem I'm having is that I can't find many options for road legal track tyres in the correct 18" size. I could go up a profile to 45s and use the NS2R but I'm not sure if this would cause rubbing (I'm running 8.3 degrees of caster). 

What are others using? 

You might try the Yokohama A052 which are available in the right sizes.

Interesting to hear that you went through the potenzas, what happened? Down to the carcass? I have heard that Anglesey is an abrasive surface.

I run Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R on my CS and on my 350z GT HR... They are imo a great crossover fast road/track tyre... The Bridgy Potenza's aren't a track day tyre imo anyways neither are PS4s

I've also ran Toyo R88R on my MK Indyblade kit but their damp/wet condition grip is poor!

Unfortunately Yoko brought a supposed upgrade to the market in the AD08RS but I've heard its not as good as the 1st iteration?

I've heard good things about the Nangkangs however & I'm considering trying them next...

4 hours ago, Mavrik said:

I run Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R on my CS and on my 350z GT HR... They are imo a great crossover fast road/track tyre... The Bridgy Potenza's aren't a track day tyre imo anyways neither are PS4s

I've also ran Toyo R88R on my MK Indyblade kit but their damp/wet condition grip is poor!

Unfortunately Yoko brought a supposed upgrade to the market in the AD08RS but I've heard its not as good as the 1st iteration?

I've heard good things about the Nangkangs however & I'm considering trying them next...

Are they okay in the wet? As in if one were to get caught in a downpour on the way to the circuit? 

Agree about the Potenzas but I previously used the RE050a and found them to be pretty good on track (for a road tyre). The new ones (potenza sport) which get good reviews were a bit underwhelming and lacked grip

@Lennym1984

The original Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R are as good in the wet (imo) as the Mich PS4 or PSS but their dry grip ability far far out-performs them... 

Unfortunately Yoko released the supposed updated AD08RS which anecdotally I've heard aren't as good as the original iteration... I know a guy who tried them on his Elise and said the older version was better!

I initially tracked my CS on 5mm Mich Pilot Super Sports and found them woeful on track, getting greasy and virtually falling apart after say 6 hard laps at Brands Indy despite playing with pressures etc... I sold them on and bought the AD08R and was amazed how better they performed!

I'm down to 2.5mm on my CS Yoko's now but I'm most probably gonna go the NS2R route to give them a go 🤪

Edited by Mavrik

I am a long term AD08R user on track and before that, A048 and Federal RSR. My 987 has Cup 2s which are fine (with enough camber) on track.

The hot new thing in track day tyres is MRF  ZTR

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/mrf-motorsport-ztr-tyre-circuit-race-trackday.html

they come in 18" and are a step up from even Nankang Ar1 grip with better longevity and better wet grip than the AD08R. I'm be replacing my Cup 2s with these soon.

Ah bugger, yes the people I know using the MRFs are all 265/35/18 - none of those are caymans though.

I didn't check they came in 265/40/18 or in my case 265/35/19 which is what I need for the Cayman R 

I guess I'll go for AR1 for the cayman r for dry and i have another set of wheels with michelin 4s already on for the wet.

Cup 2 might be the best option for the cayman 18" fitment.

Otherwise you would need to go 265/35 and also drop the aspect ratio on the front to keep the ratio of rolling radius front to rear as close as possible so as not to upset the abs/traction/stability system.