Tidy 987.2 for sale

Ginginho

13 hours ago, Alan W said:

I've noted this on quite a few 2.9 Gen. 2 cars when they are fitted with wider 19" wheels.  The corresponding low profile tyres with shallower sidewall height seems to accentuate the tyre to arch gap and therefore the ride height.

It's definitely less obvious when 18" wheels and tyres are fitted.

Here are a couple of photos to demonstrate the above.

a6e8672db8204aa99748ad9798ef0cd3.jpg

190e28cc224c4389ad947bdbff27635d.jpg

they both look the same, (not that you can judge to cars in 2 different angles and 2 different light condition anyway) but overall diameter doesn't change from 18" to 19" because you have a shorter side wall in the latter.  (If that was the case your ABS, traction control etc would be all thrown off) (well within limits, infact I run a 2.8% off the stock set up on my car and that's nearly on the limit)

So yes engine size has nothing to do with how wheels sits/look lol

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Alan W said:

I've noted this on quite a few 2.9 Gen. 2 cars when they are fitted with wider 19" wheels.  The corresponding low profile tyres with shallower sidewall height seems to accentuate the tyre to arch gap and therefore the ride height.

It's definitely less obvious when 18" wheels and tyres are fitted.

Here are a couple of photos to demonstrate the above.

a6e8672db8204aa99748ad9798ef0cd3.jpg

190e28cc224c4389ad947bdbff27635d.jpg

Ewww that definitely needs attention! 

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

they both look the same, (not that you can judge to cars in 2 different angles and 2 different light condition anyway) but overall diameter doesn't change from 18" to 19" because you have a shorter side wall in the latter.  (If that was the case your ABS, traction control etc would be all thrown off) (well within limits, infact I run a 2.8% off the stock set up on my car and that's nearly on the limit)

So yes engine size has nothing to do with how wheels sits/look lol

You have completely misinterpreted what I said.  I have only been looking at 2.9 cars and hence why I didn’t include the 3.4S in my reply.  I didn’t infer that engine size had any bearing on how the car sits.

I didn’t say overall diameter changed going from 18” wheels to 19” wheels.  As an Engineer I fully appreciate the rolling diameter and circumference is similar so that gearing, ABS, traction control and speedo are all unaffected from the wheel and tyre size change.

10 minutes ago, Alan W said:

You have completely misinterpreted what I said.  I have only been looking at 2.9 cars and hence why I didn’t include the 3.4S in my reply.  I didn’t infer that engine size had any bearing on how the car sits.

I didn’t say overall diameter changed going from 18” wheels to 19” wheels.  As an Engineer I fully appreciate the rolling diameter and circumference is similar so that gearing, ABS, traction control and speedo are all unaffected from the wheel and tyre size change.

Regardless, your statement that the gap on 18" looks less obvious is incorrect.

If anything the opposite is true purely because wider rims (and therfore more poke) only happens on 19". 

Anyway.....

16 hours ago, Andrea said:

Regardless, your statement that the gap on 18" looks less obvious is incorrect.

If anything the opposite is true purely because wider rims (and therfore more poke) only happens on 19". 

Anyway.....

It's not correct or incorrect. It's subjective. I happen to agree with Alan. Wider 19-inch rims with some poke look more tractory to my eye re ride height. Obvs the ride isn't actually a factor of wheels and the gap is the same whatever wheel you go for - even 17s. But the gap looks less obvious sometimes / from some angles on the smaller wheels and that does actually make sense. Viewed from some angles, smaller wheels that are a bit tucked in re rim width / offset obscure the gap a bit. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan W said:

I like it. Not sure I like the price but yellow does seem to carry a premium.

I honestly aside from the limited numbers can't see what's special. 

No chrono/pasm/pse

Manual seats

And the stickers up the bonnet aren't my cup of tea

I appreciate we all have our preferences though, just my 2p.

Edited by Neil_jdmr

7 minutes ago, Neil_jdmr said:

I honestly aside from the limited numbers can't see what's special. 

No chrono/pasm/pse

Manual seats

And the stickers up the bonnet aren't my cup of tea

I appreciate we all have our preferences though, just my 2p.

I don't dispute any of that - just posting details of a rare car in case anyone is looking for one.

The price is something else though for a 15 year old car.  🙄

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neil_jdmr said:

No i didn't mean it personally Alan just a general thought of all of the design and black edition models. 

A cynical marketing exercise perhaps to revive flagging sales?

Who knows, at least the 987.2 Black Edition cars had the engine from the ‘R’.  🙂

2 hours ago, Alan W said:

A cynical marketing exercise perhaps to revive flagging sales?

Who knows, at least the 987.2 Black Edition cars had the engine from the ‘R’.  🙂

The engine is identical in all 987.2 3.4 cars. No physical changes were made to the engine for the R / BE. It's just a software map.

But there's no doubting people lap up the perceived rarity of these 'special' edition cars, so they are worth more on the used market. But generally, they are cars for the canny buyer to avoid. Generally a big premium for zero benefit in terms of driving and most of them aren't even terribly well specced.

On 27/10/2022 at 23:24, MartinF6 said:

The engine is identical in all 987.2 3.4 cars. No physical changes were made to the engine for the R / BE. It's just a software map.

But there's no doubting people lap up the perceived rarity of these 'special' edition cars, so they are worth more on the used market. But generally, they are cars for the canny buyer to avoid. Generally a big premium for zero benefit in terms of driving and most of them aren't even terribly well specced.

On the R, the exhaust bore is also larger in addition to the map.

On another note, after 6 years of ownership, I'm fancying a change and may put my R up for sale in the early spring.  Exciting times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

On the R, the exhaust bore is also larger in addition to the map.

Yes, manifold to exhaust bore is 55mm on the R and only 48mm on the 2.9 & 3.4S.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

On another note, after 6 years of ownership, I'm fancying a change and may put my R up for sale in the early spring.  Exciting times.

Indeed, exciting times!  What's are you considering next Arron? (if you don't change your mind!  xD)

12 hours ago, Alan W said:

Indeed, exciting times!  What's are you considering next Arron? (if you don't change your mind!  xD)

I have changed my mind before so we'll see!  I'm debating going "full fat" with a 911 or something like a Caterham.  That's an itch I've wanted to scratch for years...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aaron said:

I have changed my mind before so we'll see!  I'm debating going "full fat" with a 911 or something like a Caterham.  That's an itch I've wanted to scratch for years...

Despite both being great driver's cars they are poles apart!  One being a Grand Tourer and the other being track focused and that’s not going to be an easy choice.  Perhaps hire each car for a long weekend and see which excites you the most after a living with it for 72 hours or so?

Good luck and keep us updated.  👍

• 2 weeks later...

Reasonable spec 3.4 manual with moderate miles (55k) for £25k from one of the priciest dealers:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202211101556711

That's a fair bit lower than that outfit would have priced the car at the peak, getting back to where these cars were pre-pandemic, though probably not quite there yet. Having said that, adjusted for inflation, you could argue it's actually cheaper than pre-pandemic.