Service parts: recommended sources

Going to do mid service cycle oil change myself, next service due in Sep ‘22.

just wondered if you have preferred supplier for oil change bits:

mobile1 0w-40 10Ltrs

New Drain plug and seal washer

oil filter

oil filter rubber washer

oil filter removal tool

looking at 911design.co.uk, any other recommendations..?

Anything else worth poking at whilst up on the ramps?

As Lenny says, buying oil and filters from Design 911 is asking for a gouging.

I would recommend your local motor factors rather than ECP.

Arnold Clarke Autoparts has a good price on the oil at the moment, £34.98 for 5 litres of Mobil 1, you need to spend £35 for free delivery so if they don’t have anything you need then I think a pack of washers is 50p to take over the limit 

https://www.arnoldclarkautoparts.com/collections/oils/products/153669

For other service parts I’ve got a few from AUTODOC, they come from Germany so take a bit longer but occasionally really good prices and if looking for specifics good to leave in basket and check back as prices change up and down on a daily basis.

In terms of what’s maybe worth poking at or easy to do (if needed), would suggest having a good look under and maybe degrease (easier to spot oil leaks later). Some recent easy ones I’ve done are:

1) spark plugs and coil packs (as needed doing), also gives a chance to have a look at the cylinders 

2) unblock the drilled brake discs as needed

3) change belt (looked ok but couldn’t find record of it being done) so 25 mins and £22 was worth doing.

4) kurust and repaint the jacking points (as they seem to corrode easily)

5) exhaust back brackets were cracked and bolts corroded, not a quick one to do but with a bit of patience and a dremel it’s relatively easy

6) I took the wheel arch front trim and cleaned out there too as be surprised how much soil accumulates

hope this helps.

Edited by Acquell

11 hours ago, Acquell said:

4) kurust and repaint the jacking points (as they seem to corrode easily)

You need to remove rust and then paint with a good quality primer (not hammerite) - kurust doesn't really work. Epoxy mastic is my favourite and was recommended to me by an old friend who works on oil rigs - this is what they use 

Edited by Lennym1984

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

You need to remove rust and then paint with a good quality primer (not hammerite) - kurust doesn't really work. Epoxy mastic is my favourite and was recommended to me by an old friend who works on oil rigs - this is what they use 

Thanks for the tip, I was going wire brush, kurust, zinc primer paint then the Porsche black paint

Don't bother with the Kurust. The rust should be surface rust only so a good going over with a wire brush or a dremel grinding stone should get you back to clean shiny metal. Zinc primer and then a stone chip paint (I like Hammerite Stonechip Shield) should be sufficient. The Kurust will just create a weak surface for the paint to adhere to.

• Thanks 1