Carmine Red GTS

Red5

:welcome:

Carmine is a real lipstick red... lovely!

What swayed you away from BMW? I had nine over 28 years, brief flings with Aston, Merc, Audi, before I found "the one".

The BMW showroom in 2014 had absolutely nothing to grab my attention or money.

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1

It is indeed! Always hankered after a Cayman and always recommended them to others. 

My 135i was getting a little high mileage, considering the mods, so it was time for it to go. 

The GTS was an easy choice for us. Way better in almost every respect (apart from the straight line speed) 

It's so satisfying to drive at any speed on almost any road! 

It it might not be our only Porsche for long though! 

15 minutes ago, DJMC said:

:welcome:

Carmine is a real lipstick red... lovely!

What swayed you away from BMW? I had nine over 28 years, brief flings with Aston, Merc, Audi, before I found "the one".

The BMW showroom in 2014 had absolutely nothing to grab my attention or money.

I loved my 135i! It had over £10k of mods to make it so good though.

Wales2012031.jpg

Out of the box, all BMWs are just to economised these days. Cheap dampers and understeer are the modern BMW way it seems!! Wallowing down B-roads isn't something I enjoy one bit.

Our GTS has nicer wheels, upgraded chassis sitting a tad lower, LSD, slightly more power.......

Essentially, all the things that I'd have wanted to do to an M235i to make me happy. At the end of the day, owning such modded cars is a risk (to the wallet and spare time) 

Every time something needs doing, it's such a hassle :-( I'm glad I owned it, but relieved to be in a car, that's good as I need/want, straight out of the box :-)

Welcome! Lovely car! 

So really no mods at all planned then...I'm not sure I'm buying that ;) 

Edited by PhilCS

13 hours ago, PhilCS said:

Welcome! Lovely car! 

So really no mods at all planned then...I'm not sure I'm buying that ;) 

Thanks Phil,

What could I do to improve it?

It's even loud as standard :-)

She's a beauty! Welcome buddy! 

I agree though, once a modder always a modder ;) perhaps start small...umm, in fact what are people doing to the 981 actually...?? 

7 hours ago, Trickle said:

She's a beauty! Welcome buddy! 

I agree though, once a modder always a modder ;) perhaps start small...umm, in fact what are people doing to the 981 actually...?? 

I know people say that, I've said it myself! 

I really have only 'Modded' my cars to fix problems though, never to personalise or engaged in 'Optical Tuning'

Normally when I drive a car, I can identify the bits that need some attention quite quickly. These things then annoy me until I have 'Fixed' them.

This GTS, still seems amazing every time I drive it!

Being able to spec this car new, with all the good bits we wanted, really did feel like we were focusing the character of the car and 'modifying' it rather than just ticking 'Storage Package' etc on a BMW.

I think of it like this.....

A white GTS on diamond cut turbo wheels, with electric seats, 5k worth of leather options, PDK and PASM, is a TOTALLY different car to ours. It's not the same thing at all and not what we ever would have wanted! 

I like the way Porsche give us a vanilla starting point, so we can turn the car into occasional track day toy, or urban boulevard stunner :-)

I understand you our can even get one with no roof (if you like that sort of thing) ;-)

Edited by Red5

41 minutes ago, 987Monkey said:

Alcantara heaven :) 

Am I seeing rusty holes (so to speak) in your brake discs?? 

That's the standard GTS interior (with no coloured stitching) 

We have the steering wheel and gear knob in leather though, as they wear better and feel nicer.

One thing I never realised, is that a natural leather tends to grip your skin, where as Alcantara doesn't! 

Alcantara grip racing drivers gloves better though :-) 

Yes, I'd just washed it, so the whole discs were orange with surface rust 5 mins before. I guess that's just found its way into the drilled holes? 

5 hours ago, Prestonese said:

Nice car. I went Guards which is obviously the better and faster red....

Until I saw your pictures!

Haha, yes Carmine is very fast indeed :D

Let's see a pic of your 'Old School' Guards Red motor then........

• Like 1

On 31 March 2016 at 08:17, Uncle Dave said:

Welcome to CaymanOC! :) 

Fantastic looking GTS, and I agree there's little to be modified on them.  

Missed your post sorry! 

Thanks, seems like an OK forum :)

I do think the Cayman could do with the wheels spacing out a little.

But, having a basic understanding of these things, would never fit such things just for aesthetics! 

7 hours ago, Prestonese said:

Nice car. I went Guards which is obviously the better and faster red....

Until I saw your pictures!

Embarrassingly I don't have a great camera and the only decent picture I have is on my profile!

I was torn forever choosing which of the two reds to go for. Guards is certainly isn't for the shy types. For some reason it looks pink when I use my smartphone to take a picture. It doesn't matter what I do with it.

I've barely driven mine and am a bit timid about tracking it!

Great that you are enjoying yours! I have leather steering too but I do wish I had the alcantara one sometimes! 

Edited by Prestonese

• 3 weeks later...