Oil Level

Hi - I've noticed that the oil level in my 2011 987.2 is 1 bar below max, usually I do the Oil level measure on my driveway which is mostly flat.

Being a paranoid new owner I've also done the test a few extra times recently, and whilst idling on a road when parked it shows 1 bar below max the first couple off times then max after a couple of mins.. obviously this is not 100% flat due to slight camber of the road. Is the oil just getting warmer and expanding to get different levels in same position?

Oil tests have been done soon after then engine hits temperature

I've never seen any blue smoke on cold start, just condensation, no drips on driveway.

We did an oil change mid Dec'21 and it was correct then. Done estimated 1000 miles since then, car has done 63K, FPSH.

Normal or should I be worried/checking more.

It has to be 1 below max. If it's maxxed then that's when you have to worry! As it means it's overfilled.

Anyway, even if it was 2 below max it would still be absolutely fine so no need to be paranoid.

Also best is to go to a petrol station where usually they have the flattest concrete slab at the filling area. Just check it again when there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, futureechos said:

Hi - I've noticed that the oil level in my 2011 987.2 is 1 bar below max, usually I do the Oil level measure on my driveway which is mostly flat.

Being a paranoid new owner I've also done the test a few extra times recently, and whilst idling on a road when parked it shows 1 bar below max the first couple off times then max after a couple of mins.. obviously this is not 100% flat due to slight camber of the road. Is the oil just getting warmer and expanding to get different levels in same position?

Oil tests have been done soon after then engine hits temperature

I've never seen any blue smoke on cold start, just condensation, no drips on driveway.

We did an oil change mid Dec'21 and it was correct then. Done estimated 1000 miles since then, car has done 63K, FPSH.

Normal or should I be worried/checking more.

Imo... you should keep your oil level at 1 bar below full... always check in same spot for consistency is what I do.

Only need to worry if you're having to top up regularly or you have blue smoke on cold starts imo...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

It has to be 1 below max. If it's maxxed then that's when you have to worry! As it means it's overfilled.

Anyway, even if it was 2 below max it would still be absolutely fine so no need to be paranoid.

Also best is to go to a petrol station where usually they have the flattest concrete slab at the filling area. Just check it again when there. 

Sorry - By 1 below max I mean this. (i.e. max is all bars filled = too much!)

Oil.JPG

Edited by futureechos

Hi

We are all totally paranoid about our cars mainly due to misinformation on the www. They are well built cars designed to be driven, a bit too much oil isn't going to be catastrophic.

Barry

On 18/03/2022 at 11:23, futureechos said:

Sorry - By 1 below max I mean this. (i.e. max is all bars filled = too much!)

Oil.JPG

I appreciate the comments but my question was more about variation of the reading. Do you see it measure an increase if repeating in the same spot? I guess I’m trying to work out if it has actually dropped a bit, or as the engine gets warm enough for an initial reading, do yours read more after a couple of mins? It was at top arrow (Full) previously in December, now reads as per pic then on a repeat reads top arrow… hope that’s clear what I mean.. 

Edited by futureechos

I do find that some engines find their own level-not Porsche specifically,however my lorry has a 13litre engine,and if filled to the max it always burns it off and will always settle around three quarters ,and stay there.

Fitters fill it up to max and I leave it to settle back to three quarters again ,but I do check every day.

my R53 cooper S is the same,they are known for liking a bit of oil,but mine seems to always settle just under max,and needs a very occasional top up.nothing to worry about at all.

My Cayman S hasn’t used any oil since I bought it in January,thankfully,but a small bit of oil consumption isn’t the end of the world.

im still suffering from Porsche paranoia myself,but thankfully nothing to worry about so far😎😎

• Thanks 1