Cayman R brakes

I have a Cayman R (ex-press launch car) and it has ceramic brakes.

I intend to use this car for sprints & hill climbs, so I want to remove the carbon discs and pads (to keep safe for future re-sale) and fit some sort of discs (?) with Carbon Lorraine CL5+ pads .... which react really quickly from cold and are instantly grippy.  My question is, are the pads used on ceramics the same shape as normal Cayman S discs?

Can't remember if they are the same since PCCBs are 350mm instead of the 318mm of the S.

I'd replace them all with Girodisc and other pads such an Pagid or many others. Girodisc are meant to last quite a long time..

Edited by Andrea

44 minutes ago, Anthony Adams said:

I have a Cayman R (ex-press launch car) and it has ceramic brakes.

I intend to use this car for sprints & hill climbs, so I want to remove the carbon discs and pads (to keep safe for future re-sale) and fit some sort of discs (?) with Carbon Lorraine CL5+ pads .... which react really quickly from cold and are instantly grippy.  My question is, are the pads used on ceramics the same shape as normal Cayman S discs?

Crikey, don't mention on Pistonheads that you are actually planning to drive your Cayman R hard. They'll chase you out of town with pitchforks whilst ranting about resale, the "correct" spec, and the right number of buckets to use whilst washing it.

On a more serious note, I think this is quite a common ask for R owners in the US (where they are less scared to use them on track) and so you may want to try posting on Planet-9

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2022 at 10:37, Lennym1984 said:

Crikey, don't mention on Pistonheads that you are actually planning to drive your Cayman R hard. They'll chase you out of town with pitchforks whilst ranting about resale, the "correct" spec, and the right number of buckets to use whilst washing it.

On a more serious note, I think this is quite a common ask for R owners in the US (where they are less scared to use them on track) and so you may want to try posting on Planet-9

Nuts isn't it. On the plus side it does mean that high mileage Rs can be reasonable value. I would happily take an 80k or 100k miles one on at the right price.

• 2 weeks later...

Throw a pair of 997 3.6 rotors on the front they're 350mm (99735140990)

Then the rears 99735240501, 99735240502 also 350mm but will require spacing out by 8mm from the hub. 

I'm working on a 987 brake upgrade at the moment. With either 350mm rotors all round or 380mm up front and 350mm rear. 

20220503_074124.jpg.b82a9e44fa5bca96e7be6ac4088055cc.jpg20220503_074021.jpg.b7a72203d9374030eb182b314955d2f6.jpg

Really cool but 350mm all around won't work bias wise. Even with PSM off on track (it's never fully off unless modified) I still find the rear binding way too much on trail braking....with 350mm front and rear that can only lead to lock up and full 360 spin 😅

14 hours ago, Andrea said:

Really cool but 350mm all around won't work bias wise. Even with PSM off on track (it's never fully off unless modified) I still find the rear binding way too much on trail braking....with 350mm front and rear that can only lead to lock up and full 360 spin 😅

I'll be running the 380 & 350 setup but will give the 350s a go at the track and report back 👍

• 1 month later...