Center Wheel Cap Replacements

Ben

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

This is just an FYI, for anyone else in the same position.

My centre caps were in a very sorry state, and I'd been meaning to try and do something to make them look a bit more acceptable for a while.  I noticed the other day that one had turned from red to black on the crest for some reason so that forced me into action and I decided to try and get replacements.  From OPC, I believe they are around £150 ish for a set of 4 - which seemed extortionate to me - so I looked for aftermarket versions on all the usual sites (design911, ebay etc). Prices varied massively - around £15 each at D911, to £15 a set on eBay.  But I also came across OnBuy, selling what looked like exactly the same wheel caps for £8 delivered.  Never used OnBuy before so was a bit skeptical, but thought for £8, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they turned out to be made of paper or something. 

However - I was very pleasantly surprised when they arrived as they are actually pretty decent - no, they aren't OEM, but from a short distance away you wouldn't know the difference.  They are a slightly lighter shade of red than the OEMs, and 2 of them were a little tight to fit (gentle persuasion required), but IMO they are fantastic value for money.  And I noticed today that the price has dropped even further for some reason so they can be picked up for £6 a set!  I'm tempted to buy some spares, in case they don't last very long - for that price I don't think I can complain even if I have to change them every year.

Here's the link for anyone interested, I used the seller 'Lofines', but others seem to be a bit cheaper as of today:

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/porsche-wheel-centre-caps-76mm-silver~c10776~p48793779/

Pic below shows the oem on the left and the new aftermarket cap on the right (for info, I hadn't realised there was a removable clear protective cover on the new caps when I took this photo, since removed and it looks even better)

Hope this helps someone!

PXL_20230312_130823419.PORTRAIT.jpg

I bought similar but from Ali Express... I sprayed mine with petrol resistant lacquer & I've had mine on for 2yrs & still looked like new when I got rid of my CS...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought these OnBuy sets in the past too, exactly the same as what Reason Porsche sell for around £40 a set! BTW there is a transparent film over the crest, great if you need to paint them to a different colour to match a custom wheel colour. Just peel them off with your fingernail and the crest colours will be more vibrant.

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well post a couple of pics, old black and white one on the right, new one on the left:

20230520_132408

And fitted to the car:

20230520_133430

Looks good to me, thanks again for the heads-up 👍

• Like 1

I have black wheels on mine. I peeled the colour crest off the new replacements, painted them black and then EvoSticked them back on before laquering the whole assembly.

• 3 months later...

Thank you all. New 987 owner and the centre caps on my blacks wheels looked tatty.  Now have some of these and unless you're an anorak (no offence to anoraks), they look fab.  Cheers guys. 

• Like 1

Defo worth lacquering them if you can, I didn't on the first set I bought and they are starting to show a few signs of wear, have bought a second set that I will protect a bit better!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the heads up. Changing my wheels from black to silver, and need to get the matching caps a the ones on the car are black. Not prepared to pay over £100

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know how they are making any money on these. Daughter’s boyfriend just got some for his 1 series. 8 quid. Delivered.