2006 or 2009 Cayman S

Wonder if anyone can help, I'm looking at buying a Cayman S and have spotted some good 2006 examples at circa £20k with 30k miles, or 2009 examples at £27k with 20k miles. Is there a massive difference between these two eras? When it evens out I'll probably be looking at £5k difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Founder

£20k for a 2006 car sounds a bit keen?! I sold mine for £12k...

Have you checked out the buyers guides on the forum?

Edited by Beanoir

Thanks ever so much for that, just read the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guides, it looks like the Gen 2 is the one to go for. What are your thoughts on the George Mackay one?

• Founder
6 minutes ago, Tiptop2000 said:

Thanks ever so much for that, just read the Gen 1 and Gen 2 guides, it looks like the Gen 2 is the one to go for. What are your thoughts on the George Mackay one?

You're welcome! 

The GenII cars are much fewer in number, so keep that in mind when searching.  They do command a higher price, but IMO worth it.  The spec on the Mackay cars is not what i'd call loaded, but it looks from the pictures like a nice tidy well looked after car, and at 20k miles there shouldn't be anything that needs attention apart from possibly tires.  Check the service history, although bear in mind the service intervals are every 20k miles, so don't expect to see reams of paperwork and loads of stamps in the book.  In terms of price, I think it's probably about right for a GenII car, the gap in price between GenI and GenII is quite a bit. 

I'd certainly go with the Gen2 if your budget allows and agree with Beanoir, the Gen1 car for £20k is a rip off! 

And welcome by the way :) 

Edited by PhilCS

Welcome indeed, and good luck with the search, all good advice above and hope the buyers guides prove useful to you.  Let us know how you get on! 

:welcome: 

Thanks all, super helpful hour reading and learning. Going to take a look at the one in Sheffirld tomorrow as my mum lives there. I like the George Mackay for mileage and the Jn 17 for how loaded it is. Lots to consider!

Thanks Mark, I'd ideally like to spend circa £25k but could go up to £30-35k if needed. Will take a look again tomorrow as I need to have one by next weekend. My car goes back to the lease company a week tomorrow!

I went over and had a look at the Gen 1 in Sheffield, really nice car and I liked the short throw gear shift that I believe was an option. Going to look at some furthe Gen 2s tonight. Not many manuals around at all! 

• Like 1

Have the prices of Gen1 gone up??  Thats a bonkers price whatever the answer though.  I didn't pay anywhere near that for mine.  

There's generally a big gap in the prices driven by a number of factors including the Gen2 having a) DFI engine with no major issues b) No IMS bearing to worry about c) Nicer and more modern black interior, and d) much rarer.  

I'd pay 17k for that silver one, no more than that, then stick the rest in the bank as insurance (which is what I have done).  A swanky leather dash and satnav won't stop you crying when you discover scored bores and need to fork out £10k for a new engine - and the ONLY warranty that will cover you is a Porsche warranty in that instance BTW, don't take BS from a dealer who reckons the warranty they sell will cover it because it most likely won't. 

I'd never say don't bother with a Gen1, but if you have the budget for a Gen2 (I unfortunately didn't) then like people say above, it's a no-brainer.  Go into it with your eyes wide open though if you do decide on a Gen1 is all I would say, make sure you pay the right price and have some money in reserve or insist on getting a Porsche warranty as part of the price you pay.  

21 hours ago, Tiptop2000 said:

Thanks Mark, I'd ideally like to spend circa £25k but could go up to £30-35k if needed. Will take a look again tomorrow as I need to have one by next weekend. My car goes back to the lease company a week tomorrow!

35k = 981 2013. Tried one? Thumb5 just bought a lovely one.

I was looking at 987 II last year but it didn't do it for me. It may for you, but try the newer model to give yourself the widest choice.

• Founder
1 hour ago, DJMC said:

35k = 981 2013. Tried one? Thumb5 just bought a lovely one.

I was looking at 987 II last year but it didn't do it for me. It may for you, but try the newer model to give yourself the widest choice.

Christ, £35k gets you a fly-by-wire 981 now?!  

Yes, I've been struggling with some of the prices myself. I love the 981's but prices are higher than I'd like to step up to. Might have to see what finance deals OPC have that I could tap into! In all not much out there either which might point to prices being high as well.