Greetings, got a car stuck in my head

Qwerty

Hi all, so on the 22nd July I first heard about the Cayman GT4 and have become completely obssesed with the car. Genuinely infatuated with this now, not having owned a Porsche before. Im trying to work out how to afford one and my search took me here and I hope to get some advice. Are the cars available from dealerships now or just the secondary market? Will any more be made (I have read of possible production limits etc). I'm struggling with the premium for the cars on the dealers websites. My guess would be once the summer weather has given way to winter perhaps the prices will ease but maybe I'm guilty of telling myself the story I want to hear! Any advice welcome and thanks in advance.

• Founder

Welcome! 

The GT4s were available, secondhand at the dealerships until a month or so back but they all mysteriously vanished.  Some may say because they were selling them for £30k more than the list price.  

You can pick them up for £90k now, still more than list but less than they were a couple of months ago.

So why a GT4 as opposed to another Cayman/Porsche? Have you driven others? 

The rumors are there will be a 781 GT4 which will still be a flat 6 engine, but not confirmed yet.  

Hi Beanoir and thanks for your reply. Yes there may have been a little bit of car hoarding but these will have to be sold off in time I guess. In fact I saw a GT4 offered 2 days ago at a more reasonable price, still with a premium, and it was sold within 24 hours. Why this Cayman in particular? Well why do I fancy my missus? I'm not sure it's a completely rational choice and I say that cos I read your comments and thought Beanoir is right; what about other models?  I'll start reading about other caymans and have a look though your website as from the little reading I've done so far there are great cars available at better price levels. But I think the GT4 with the wing and body shape looks incredible and I'm drawn to the higher performance this model offers (I would take it to a track) But it is a much pricier car... I haven't driven one yet and will try a test drive but from what I've read and seen the handling and grip are exceptional. Thanks for the comments, food for thought!

Buy one for £80-90k and how will you feel when the 718 GT4 arrives with (debatable) better looks, better performance and a £120k trading price IF you can get into the queue (you won't).

I predict 981 GT4 prices will fall further but it will become an appreciating classic in 10-20 years. Just my opinion.

Do try a 981 S or GTS though. At £40-60k it could be enough car.

What performance cars have you had up to now?

That sure is a step up, from a Ford Focus to a GT4! 

Like the others have said. It would be a big jump to buy this car, especially at the premiums they are fetching, if you have never had experience with a Cayman or even any other Porsche before. If you have set your heart on a GT4, make sure it truly is the car you're looking for. Internet reviews are one thing, personal satisfaction is another :)

Thanks djmc, I hear you and I will do my homework on the s and and gts. From what I've read I won't stand a chance of a new gt4 cause I'm not an existing loyal customer which I think ties in what you are implying. In terms of performance cars that depends on your sense of time. So I think I've had cars at the wrong time of my life(old cars when I was young and now I'm ready for a new car when I'm older): I owned an e-type (v12, 5.3 series 3), a beautiful jaguar mk2, 3.8 litre (modified soft-top with the rear doors removed for strength, miss that car), extensively driven a friends Porsche 993 and DB9 and owned the previous gen Ford Focus st. So varying degrees of power and modernity but nothing as new or as focused as a gt4. Luke, thanks as well: the jump from my current standard Ford Focus will be big but less compared to what I had before, my kids arrived and a country change happened and suddenly a 2 seat sports car and right drive car just didn't work anymore!

Welcome! 

No no harm in visiting the local OPC and getting your name on a waiting list, the last cars were not exclusively for previous Porsche owners or customers actually, the GT4 wasn't a 'halo' car as they call it.  911R, GT3RS and 918 would be though, but let's walk first ;)