PCM 3 update

Hey guys, have any of you had your pcm 3.0 upgraded to include the latest maps and 7 digit post code entry?

Just had a look on various forums and apparently, a number of opc's had the update on offer for £150 over the last 12 months which, when you consider what you can get with Google maps, Tom Tom and Co pilot etc it's not very good value at all and certainly, the absolute maximum I would want to pay. I have been in touch with Wilmslow opc today and they want £312!

Is the update worth it?

11 minutes ago, Stokepotter said:

Hey guys, have any of you had your pcm 3.0 upgraded to include the latest maps and 7 digit post code entry?

Just had a look on various forums and apparently, a number of opc's had the update on offer for £150 over the last 12 months which, when you consider what you can get with Google maps, Tom Tom and Co pilot etc it's not very good value at all and certainly, the absolute maximum I would want to pay. I have been in touch with Wilmslow opc today and they want £312!

Is the update worth it?

The only advantage I can see is avoiding the faff with a suction cup and buggering around with mounting the phone. All that and an inferior route guidance mechanism, traffic alerts etc. Don't think it has speed cam alerts either? Waze (free) has that integrated. Having picked up place on a naughty boy speed awareness course that's important. 

Yeah, you're right porker, this is the first car I've had with built in navigation and it certainly beats having to mess around mounting your phone or portable device for sure although I've moved to magnetic mounts rather then suction.

I previously (and still do at times) use the Co pilot app which although not free, is fantastic. 

I am just thinking with updated maps and importantly, 7 digit post code entry I could finally dispense with all other devices. 

52 minutes ago, Stokepotter said:

Yeah, you're right porker, this is the first car I've had with built in navigation and it certainly beats having to mess around mounting your phone or portable device for sure although I've moved to magnetic mounts rather then suction.

I previously (and still do at times) use the Co pilot app which although not free, is fantastic. 

I am just thinking with updated maps and importantly, 7 digit post code entry I could finally dispense with all other devices. 

For me, if I had to cost it, I'd pay £100 max for an update. I only use mine at the weekends for a bit of fun, if it was a daily drive to new and interesting place I'd perhaps pay more

Stop press,

Anyone thinking of having this done and are Midlands based, Porsche wolverhampton currently have the offer of £149:99 including vat so now's the time to get done. 

• Like 1

Porsche Sutton Coldfield became Porsche Wolverhampton then announced they were keeping SC open too.

David Joyce was the Service Manager at Porsche SC last November and did me a deal on cruise retro-fit, £100+ off the normal price. If you can track him down at either location he might do a deal on the update? He's an affable chap who I had a laugh with (unusual for Porsche staff?).

Prior to that I spoke to a service receptionist who said no to a discount but I went back after OPC Leicester said the same and I happened to get David so make sure you get hold of him... only.

Might save a few quid?

That's great to know DJ thanks but I'm not sure I could get much more out of them for the update seeing as it's at least £300 at Bolton, Wilmslow and Chester.

The words "balls" and "got you by" spring to mind lol! 

Just spoken to the lovely Sharon at OPC Sutton Coldfield on behalf of the club. She's going to have a word with a colleague and see if SC and Wolves can do a club discount, although she was quoting £159+VAT. Promised to come back by tomorrow.

Mentioned the Zunsport 20% discount.

@Stokepotterwho did you speak to at Wolves who quoted £149 inc., and when?

Here's a copy of the email sent today -

Good afternoon Paul,

Thank you for your email I received this morning.

Please allow me to introduce myself to you, my name is Avril and I work in the service department at Porsche Centre Wolverhampton and I will be looking after you and your enquiry.

Reference to the full postcode search and map update available your Porsche Cayman, this applied to vehicle with 09 model year onwards and the correct special offer is £149.99 Inclusive of VAT, I will need to order this update to chassis number and I can have this here on the next day delivery. We carry out the instillation of the update within this cost but will need the vehicle for the day.

If you would like to make a booking, Please contact me direct on 01902 397 911 or if preferred via my email address.

Kind regards,

Avril Smith

Senior Service Advisor

Porsche Centre Wolverhampton

Telephone: 01902 397 911

Fax: 01902 394 001

Avril works with Sharon but isn't there today. She's a good contact actually, having been a technician for many years, decades if I recall correctly.

What she doesn't know about Porsches probably isn't worth knowing.

David's on holiday.

So I'm going to be stuck in wolves for anything between 2 and 5 hours tomorrow, if anybody is local and wants to hook up for a shandy feel free to pop in and pick me up from Porsche wolves! I'll even buy you a packet of crisps! :-)